CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmie a 5 View Post
    I suppose it's a good thing that people take pride in their individual course. We all have our personal likes and dislikes when it comes to golf courses or even golf in general. As a military guy I will probably join the Hyland's, but I would still like to play some of the other courses in the area. This post has given me some potential places to play so I'm grateful for that.

I really don't mind reading the bantering back and forth. If I had something better to do I wouldn't be on the computer. Besides, there's always the delete key or I could simply go somewhere else on the site. Heaven forbid, I could even go into the living room and have a stimulating conversation with the wife.
    If you are active duty, then Hylands is the best deal going and it usually is in good shape. Hard to beat for the price you pay and you have access to 36 holes and a decent practice area.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    P.S- For the record, The Links at Crowbush Cove looks like a beautiful course. I've always wanted to take a golf trip to PEI.
    It's a real gem. I've played it 5 times and have taken stupid "day trips" driving 6 hours one-way twice when "in the general vincinity" out east in order to play it. The first time I played it was two weeks before a Skins Game event and the course/greens were unbelievable!

If you're in PEI or even near PEI - it's worth stopping over for a game.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rowsie View Post
    renfrew is alright.... but not worth 65 bucks.... theres a lot of quirky holes there that dont make sense to me ..,,
    Their most expensive tee time is $40 - where do you get $65? With cart the most they charge is $60...

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B Nation View Post
    I don't see how time will make the Marshes any better, nor do I see how it is in better shape than EC.
    Just wait and see.........you will be suprised..........

Oh yeah the owner.......I believe his name is Sir Terry Matthews, owns another little resort golf course. I believe its called the Celtic Manor.

Could anyone help me out here........I think they will be hosting some sort of big golf tournament in 2010. Whats it called again.........??????

Oh yeah, I remember now, its called THE RYDER CUP !!!!!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    I am sure we have some nice courses that have not been mentioned yet. We have done the 5 or 10 most expensive courses (public & private) to death. How about enlightening our new member on some of the other "great value" courses?
    Le Sorcier - played it once in the fall and can't wait to play it again mid-season
    Heritage - very enjoyable every time I get out there
    Renfrew - great course - one great hole after another on the back nine
    Upper Canada - a challenge from the blues - worth the ride
    Calabogie - fun to play when conditions are good
    Oaks of Cobden - two distinct nines - can be fun to play

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    I've played the Marshes a few time and I don't like it. $110 +tax! C'mon, why should I have to play a twilight round in order to be under, just barely, the $100 mark? Renefrew is getting up there in price now that more Ottawa money is teeing off, but it is still a great track and a great price all things considered.

I still want to play Stonebridge, seeing that I live down the road from it, but course management and playing safe are not my strong points.

By the way, Smugglers it def. worth the drive. I love the layout and would play that course before the Marshes again as well.
    Thats right $50 for twilight is barely under the $100 mark................
    I would love to do business with you.............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    I knew that would hit a nerve with the Brownsmere comment.

In all honesty though, decent course, but it lacked water for a long time, thus the nickname Brownsmere came into play.

On the other hand, there is no way I'm comparing those greens or the course itself to the high end courses I'll play in Arizona, or some of the semi-private or private courses I've played throughout Canada. No offense, but they are not in the same category.

I'm going to have to go with opinion is going to negate different replies when it comes to the "best" courses though. I mean someone who enjoys the wide open or not as challenging courses isn't going to vote for somewhere like Emerald Links where target golf is pretty much the theme.

Now as for the Marshes....I've played it, more than once, and the only reason I went back was because I was golfing for free. I don't think it's a bad course, but I definitely do not think it's worth the price tag. They use the arguement that the carts come with GPS and that fee includes your cart. Well yes it does, but I play a couple of courses, one being ranked in Score Golf's Top courses in Canada review, and it's $85 taxes included for a cart and round of golf. I also play another course that ranks up there, and it's $65 taxes included for a round cart included and they both have GPS systems in their carts.

Where did The Marshes rank in the top 100 review again? Oh yeah...It DIDN'T!

For the record...Eagle Creek was ranked 75.

Jasper Park Lodge, which I play whenever I can, was ranked 7th.
    You say you play JPL whenever you can. I would also golf it whenever I could if I lived in Edmonton. You can not compare that scenery to anywhere else in Canada. However, you are also paying for it and I hope you were not referring to it as the top Score Golf course thats $85 taxes included with cart, because the Fairmont website does not indicate this. Mid summer you are paying $150-$200 similiar to Muskokas and Tremblant. Perhaps you are getting some special rate...???
    Here are the JPL green fees:
    GREEN FEES FOR THE 2007 SEASON
    (power cart included)

Opening - May 18, 2007
    $110 CAD Non-Hotel Guest
    $95 CAD Hotel Guest & Canadian Resident

May 19 - June 8, 2007
    $140 CAD Non-Hotel Guest
    $120 CAD Hotel Guest & Canadian Residents
    June 9 - September 30, 2007
    $200 CAD Non-Hotel Guest
    $150 CAD Hotel Guest & Canadian Resident
    October 1 - Course closing
    $140 CAD Non-Hotel Guest
    $120 CAD Hotel Guest & Canadian Resident

Lob Wedge Golfisgod is on a distinguished road
    I love the digressions.

1 - Emerald Links, best bang for your money. Good greens, protected greens, tight layout on some holes. I'd put Stonebridge as a tie here or 2nd, but the fescue there can drive some people nuts (and the fact that the driver stays in the bag...what course doesnt use a driver?).

2 - Eagle Creek and Loch March tied. If push came to shove, I'd go with Loch March, simply cause Eagle is too pricy for what it is (still a great course, great greens, well spaced tee times, fun risk-rewards). Anyone who disses Eagle and promotes Greensmere should be ignored. Loch march has one goofy green.

3- Marshes. Great course, just don't buy that its worth the price. I'd rather drive to Montibello, Upper Canada or even the long haul to Tremblant.

I'd give must plays to Le Sorcier (in high season), Packenham (for incredible greens with incredibly cheap price), and Mont Cascade (in the fall for the incredible views and fun backnine).

NOTHING compares to BC or PEI courses.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    You say you play JPL whenever you can. I would also golf it whenever I could if I lived in Edmonton. You can not compare that scenery to anywhere else in Canada. However, you are also paying for it and I hope you were not referring to it as the top Score Golf course thats $85 taxes included with cart, because the Fairmont website does not indicate this. Mid summer you are paying $150-$200 similiar to Muskokas and Tremblant. Perhaps you are getting some special rate...???
    Here are the JPL green fees:
    GREEN FEES FOR THE 2007 SEASON
    (power cart included)

Opening - May 18, 2007
    $110 CAD Non-Hotel Guest
    $95 CAD Hotel Guest & Canadian Resident

May 19 - June 8, 2007
    $140 CAD Non-Hotel Guest
    $120 CAD Hotel Guest & Canadian Residents
    June 9 - September 30, 2007
    $200 CAD Non-Hotel Guest
    $150 CAD Hotel Guest & Canadian Resident
    October 1 - Course closing
    $140 CAD Non-Hotel Guest
    $120 CAD Hotel Guest & Canadian Resident
    Nope...I was referring to another on the list. In fact, after looking through it, I picked out 11 courses that are in my area on that top 100 list. The course I was referring to was Red Tail Landing. It's $85 with a cart that has GPS on it and it blows The Marshes out of the water.

7 Wood East Coast Golf is on a distinguished road
    Sure the top 100 has many many great courses, but that list is so political it would make you sick. There are plenty of courses that never get a sniff of that list that would put many courses that are on that list to shame.

Just sayin..

I am going to the marshes wednesday for a Titleist fitting seminar, too bad it is still closed cause all the talk (good and bad) makes me want to play it even more..

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    This is my first post so here goes...given that I will soon be moving back to Ottawa, I was wondering what courses I should pencil in as "must play courses". In putting together a ranking of your top 5 choices, consideration should be given to course availability, value for your money, and just plain fun to play. I would appreciate hearing what everyone has to say and look forward to your replies.
    ** MODERATOR POST **

Keep this on topic please. If you want to debate the greens at EC or the prices at the Marshes, DO IT ELSEWHERE in a thread for that purpose.

I will be handing out temporary bans if this continues in this thread. There are more posts in this thread about other topics than about your top three courses in the Ottawa area. And it is the Ottawa area. Not the Muskokas, not PEI, not Alberta. KEEP THIS THREAD ON TOPIC!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Can you please not post the Marshes' entire fee schedule in every second thread? Please? We get it, you love the Marshes and think its a great deal. I don't need to read a third of their website in every thread.
    Agreed. A link to the fee schedule is more than enough.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Lob Wedge Golfisgod is on a distinguished road
    The original question mentioned factoring in greens and price/worth, but ok:

Top 3:
    - Eagle Creek
    - Emerald Links
    - Loch March

Must plays: Stonebridge, Marshes, Le Sorcier, Cascade (in the fall), Montibello and Packeham (later in season).

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    1- EagleCreek - Until they become CL then I'll forget it.
    2- Marshes - of course there's not too many places to piddle - so no beer - but then again a better score.
    3- Loch March - The elevations on holes 1, 10, 17 are great - and the course is always in great shape.

If you don't mind the drive Whitetail in Eganville and Renfrew G&CC and Oak's of Cobden are also great.

7 Iron class1947 is on a distinguished road

Big Bang Theory $$$$

Top 3 for $$$ value since most of us can not afford the best how about best value

IMO 1. Dragonfly

2. Renfrew

3. Nation

A close 4&5 would be Sorcier & Smugglers Glen however these are a few more $$

6 Iron Rapture Man is on a distinguished road
    I would agree with most of you for the high end courses. No argument there.

For a lot of us in the not so elite world and play most of our golf on regular priced courses.

Here goes:

Casselview - excellent greens for the price, probably the best greens in April in the region - could be better drainage in spring - some very challenging holes, 7, 9, 11, 15, 17, 18
    Nation - excellent layout, not too many grip it and rip it holes, bring your strategic mind.
    Outaouais - when availbable to the masses - nice old course layout
    Emerald Links - a gem - especially like the last new 9 holes added
    Mont Cascades

For a Canadian getaway:
    Nothing beats PEI - the Myrtle Beach of the North.
    #1 for me is Crowbush, then you have to play Brudenell, Dunderave, Eagles Glenn, Fox Meadow or Avondale
    On the way stop in Moncton to play Royal Oaks or the very new Fox Creek (fantastic)
    Keep it vertical!!

6 Iron Rapture Man is on a distinguished road
    Sorry Dan, should have read the warning before I posted. Relatively new to this forum.

My last paragraph was off topic.
    Keep it vertical!!

beatnik58
    1. Renfrew
    2. Stonebridge
    3. Le Sorcier

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    1 Outaouais
    2 Sorcier
    3 Renfrew

Lots of fun, reasonably priced and most times in great shape.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Loch March
    Renfrew
    Whitetail

My humble picks for price, service and quality.
    "Get your smile on!"

bishop4

Wink Value for Money Courses

Wow, everyone seems to have adifferent opinion....I like a course that isn't too busy and doesn't break the bank. That way, I get to play 2 rounds for the price of 1. With that in mind, here are some suggestions for value for money courses:

Stonebridge at twilight
    Pakenham
    Arnprior (Sand Point) (they practically gave golf away last year at $20 bucks a round after 1 pm on the weekend, $10 after 4)

Not the most beautiful courses in town, but enjoyable none the less and a good use of a Sunday afternoon. Have fun exploring all the suggestions!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bishop4 View Post
    Wow, everyone seems to have adifferent opinion....I like a course that isn't too busy and doesn't break the bank. That way, I get to play 2 rounds for the price of 1. With that in mind, here are some suggestions for value for money courses:

Stonebridge at twilight
    Pakenham
    Arnprior (Sand Point) (they practically gave golf away last year at $20 bucks a round after 1 pm on the weekend, $10 after 4)

Not the most beautiful courses in town, but enjoyable none the less and a good use of a Sunday afternoon. Have fun exploring all the suggestions!

A little off topic, but I have to say this is probably one of the best typed replies I've seen on here in a long time. Well said bishop.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

8 Iron K D is on a distinguished road K D's Avatar
    In putting together a ranking of your top 5 choices, consideration should be given to course availability, value for your money, and just plain fun to play. I would appreciate hearing what everyone has to say and look forward to your replies.
    Last year was my first year playing, so based on my limited experience here are top 5 I enjoyed the most:

Poplar Grove
    Richmond Centennial
    Cedarhill
    Pakenham
    Irish Hills

There are so many courses in the Ottawa area to choose from, low budget to exclusive, you'll be pleased with the variety on any given day
    [SIZE=1][I]If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet I'd put shoes on my cat.[/I][/SIZE]

Putter Gimmie a 5 is on a distinguished road

The Tally

So many of you took time to post that I thought I would give you the tally. Here it is:

EC:15 votes,
    Stonebridge: 11,
    Le Sorcier: 9
    Renfrew: 8,
    Marshes: 7
    Outaouis and Pakenham: 6 ea,
    Smugglers Glen: 5,
    Loch March and Emerald Links: 4 ea,
    Royal Ottawa, Greensmere, Nation, and Mount Cascade: 3 ea,
    Canadian, Hunt Club, Rivermead, Richmond Centennial, Casselview, and Upper Canada 2 ea.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Putter specialk is on a distinguished road
    1. Le Sorcier - what a fun track...you'll need the cart!
    2. Emerald Links - best value play, and close to the city
    3. Stonebridge - no comment needed

Lob Wedge skylee64 is on a distinguished road skylee64's Avatar
    1. Marshes
    2. Stonebridge
    3. Greensmere

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    My top 3 public courses:

Stonebridge
    Loch March
    Marshes

Honorable Mention to

Le Sorcier

I have not played Outaouias but have heard great things.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    top 3 courses:
    Kanata (my home course)
    Eagle Creek (even thought its not in good shape this year)
    Loch March

Thread Information