100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Putter Gimmie a 5 is on a distinguished road

Your Top Three Courses in The Ottawa Area

This is my first post so here goes...given that I will soon be moving back to Ottawa, I was wondering what courses I should pencil in as "must play courses". In putting together a ranking of your top 5 choices, consideration should be given to course availability, value for your money, and just plain fun to play. I would appreciate hearing what everyone has to say and look forward to your replies.

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    The only course i've ever played here is Eagle Creek. As such:

1. Eagle Creek
    2. Eagle Creek
    3. Eagle Creek

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I'll go with Eagle Creek as number one, although I'm not thrilled they were bought by ClubLink. I'd rank Renfrew up there pretty high too and perhaps The Marshes, but really, I don't think it's really worth the money.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Aside from Eagle Creek, I would recommend Stonebridge (if you're playing well), Outaouais (its a hidden gem, especially if you play the old course), and the Canadian (not the most spectacular course, but always in really good shape, friendly people, and good value)

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    I'll go with Eagle Creek as number one, although I'm not thrilled they were bought by ClubLink. I'd rank Renfrew up there pretty high too and perhaps The Marshes, but really, I don't think it's really worth the money.
    I really enjoy playing Pakenham. Especially the Canyon 9. It's my pick as long as gasoline remains around a buck a litre or less. It's a bit of a drive!

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    (i) Eagle Creek - If you are moving back to Ottawa this season, enjoy. Next year you will either need to be a CL member or invited guest.

(ii) Marshes - Check out the various tee-times which provide an excellent "bang" for your $$$. http://www.brookstreethotel.com/golf...ackages_e.html

(iii) I would say Renfrew is excellent for the $$, but a bit of a drive. Stonebridge is excellent and within the city limits.
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    My favourites:

1. Eagle Creek.
    2. Stonebridge
    3. Loch March

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    1) Eagle Creek
    2) Hunt Club
    3) Outaouais

Haven't played Highlands, Rivermead, Rideauview, Royal Ottawa..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    1) Eagle Creek
    2) Hunt Club
    3) Outaouais

Haven't played Highlands, Rivermead, Rideauview, Royal Ottawa..
    Well if we're talking private clubs, then I'll have to add Rivermead and The Hunt in there too. I thought we were talking strickly public.

Well if we're talking private clubs, then I'll have to add Rivermead and The Hunt in there too. I thought we were talking strickly public.
    Understand Gimmie a 5 was asking "consideration should be given to course availability, value for your money, and just plain fun to play."
    I like EdmontonGolfer thought we were talking strickly public.

If you can score an invite with a Hunt Club member or Royal Ottawa member go for it....!! Will also need to do that starting next year at Eagle Creek.......

If not, dropping $24,000 initiation (Hunt Club) or $30,000 (Royal Ottawa, and approximatley 1 year wait time now for full golf previledges) is not what I think Gimmie a 5 was looking for...........
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Gap Wedge rowsie is on a distinguished road
    I don tknow why ppl like Eagle creek so much.. The only thing thjat course has goign for them is the layout..... the range is garbage... i dont find them that friendly there.... The greens are always in bad shape due to ball marks and ppl wearing spikes... and cuz the hacks dont know enough to fix them .. that is why clublink prolly took it over..... top thre courses in ottawa are.. 1) marshes by far 2) stonebridge and 3) Greensmere

Quote Originally Posted by rowsie View Post
    I don tknow why ppl like Eagle creek so much.. The only thing thjat course has goign for them is the layout..... the range is garbage... i dont find them that friendly there.... The greens are always in bad shape due to ball marks and ppl wearing spikes... and cuz the hacks dont know enough to fix them .. that is why clublink prolly took it over..... top thre courses in ottawa are.. 1) marshes by far 2) stonebridge and 3) Greensmere
    We'll agree to disagree. Every time I've played Eagle Creek the people were more than friendly and I've never had an issue with the greens.

I'm also going to have to disagree with BROWNSmere being anywhere near the top three for courses in Ottawa.

obviously u havent played eagle creek at twilight time cuz if ya have then you would know what im talking about also u must not play alot of good courses cuz if ya did you would know that eagle creek greens dont compare to other great courses.... also greensmere isnt that bad.... great layout.... ppl are friendly good price and when i played it it was in top condition...

obviously u havent played eagle creek at twilight time cuz if ya have then you would know what im talking about also u must not play alot of good courses cuz if ya did you would know that eagle creek greens dont compare to other great courses.... also greensmere isnt that bad.... great layout.... ppl are friendly good price and when i played it it was in top condition...
    HAHA! I used to play Eagle Creek ALL the time at twilight. That was the only time I could play because I worked all day and we would sneak out for some afternoon golf.

As for me playing a lot of good golf, I'll leave that one be...Others can chime in on that topic if they wish...Just to give you an idea, my index is -0.6 and I don't think there's a course that I've played in the last two years that has a slope or rating in comparison to the Ottawa area courses.

hahah well im a 1 handicap and i know what are good greens and what are ok greens and eagle creek is in the ok category... besides Glen Abbey... greensmere has the second best greens ive ever putt on and ive played my fair share of courses worldwide...

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    hahah well im a 1 handicap and i know what are good greens and what are ok greens and eagle creek is in the ok category... besides Glen Abbey... greensmere has the second best greens ive ever putt on and ive played my fair share of courses worldwide...
    And my dad can beat up your dad! I'm a 1 handicap, i'm a -0.6...

Geez, just drop the EC argument. Let's say the greens are somewhere between "ok" and the best in the world.

If you say Glen Abbey's greens are the best you've ever putted on, you must have played before it went CL...cause after that, it all went downhill. Except when the Can Open rolled around.

Best greens in the city are Royal Ottawa, by FAR. Roll about 10.5 or 11 on a regular day...nice!

yeah i played glen abbey,,, a few days before the open... rolled around 12 on the stimp just perfect speed..... I've never played royal ottawa but im sure the greens roll nice as well

HAHA! I used to play Eagle Creek ALL the time at twilight. That was the only time I could play because I worked all day and we would sneak out for some afternoon golf.

As for me playing a lot of good golf, I'll leave that one be...Others can chime in on that topic if they wish...Just to give you an idea, my index is -0.6 and I don't think there's a course that I've played in the last two years that has a slope or rating in comparison to the Ottawa area courses.
    http://www.clublink.ca/eaglecreekscorecard.html Eagle Creek slope rating 134.

Interesting comment. You are obviously an accomplished golfer with a -0.6 index, thus assume you play most of your golf from the tips.

Have you ever played Crowbush in PEI or the Rock in Muskoka?

Check out the slope ratings from the tips at Crowbush (Slope 148) and the Rock in Muskoka (Slope 144). Having played both (certainly not from the tips) I would say the Rock is the toughest course I have "ever played". Thats why they have closed the course for 2007 and will reopen in 2008 when the JW Marriott resort next door opens. They are still going to keep the course challenging for the low index player, but will make it more player friendly for the average golfer.

http://www.golfpei.ca/course_descrip..._crowbush.html

http://www.therockgolf.com/rockgolf....=120&page=2479#

hmm thast funny cuz me and some alds were goign to go there for a week and play taboo, deerhurst and the rock course..... i hear its pretty tough and to bring alot of golf balls with ya.... it seems like a good challenge... whast so difficult about it ?

hmm thast funny cuz me and some alds were goign to go there for a week and play taboo, deerhurst and the rock course..... i hear its pretty tough and to bring alot of golf balls with ya.... it seems like a good challenge... whast so difficult about it ?
    Here is the official press release on the 2007 closing.
    http://www.therockgolf.com/rockgolf....=120&page=5014

I have played it three times over the past three years, and have the same complaints as many. Holes #3 and #16 have almost impossible landing areas. Hole #1 is the toughest opening hole I have seen, with the large rock outcrop in front of an elevated green. Very tight course with huge rock outcrops says it all.........

Also know of some fellows who worked at the Rock for the past few summers and they all have their teaching cards now. This means they had to shoot in the 76 range to attain cards. Understand that these guys never broke 80 at the Rock.

Likely (only speculation) changes will be losing many of the holding ponds that dot the golf course, regrading the fairway on 3, widening some landing areas, regrading the 16th fairway), and perhaps that is what the course will do.

I think this is a terrific decision to close the course completely, and open it up in 2008 as part of the Marriott Redleaves Resort. With proper marketing and a makeover this course will be certain to become a great Muskoka Resort destination.

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    i h ave to agree there, the rock is about the toughfest course going in sountern ontario.

KFE was taking abath on it in sonce building as it was just to hard for vacatoion golfers to play. almost all the reviews on it from the summer crows were too tough, impossible to score and down right un-fun.
    i played it twice just after opening and have to agree, now i am not a 1 handicap or anythign, but even form the closer tees it was next to impossible to score and the most frustrating course i ever played.

here in ottawa, well fo rme it is easy
    1- eafle creek ( even beter now it is CL)
    2- stonebridge
    3- get an invite to royal ottawa

Par stinger is on a distinguished road

You got to be kidding right?

Greensmere?????? Did I miss something? I usually don't reply to post like these, but Greensmere????

Quote Originally Posted by stinger View Post
    Greensmere?????? Did I miss something? I usually don't reply to post like these, but Greensmere????
    My sentiments exactly. This guy is comparing these courses he's played abroad, in fact, I think "worldwide" was what he said, to Greensmere for greens. Not to question or anything, but really, which courses "worldwide" are we talking about here?

Should I compare both Grayhawks, both Troons, We-Ko-Pa, and the Stadium course to Greensmere too? I mean I'll be playing those next week. I sure wish I would have had a chance to putt on the Greensmere greens in order to have something to match them up with.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Everyone is smoking crack. The best courses in the region are:
    1) Pineview
    2) Richmond Centennial
    3) Thunderbird

Thunderbird is one tough course. Make sure you can hit your driver straight and far if you plan on playing there
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Everyone is smoking crack. The best courses in the region are:
    1) Pineview
    2) Richmond Centennial
    3) Thunderbird

Thunderbird is one tought course. Make sure you can hit your driver straight and far if you plan on playing there
    I miss the Royal Edgeweed..........

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    http://www.clublink.ca/eaglecreekscorecard.html Eagle Creek slope rating 134.

Interesting comment. You are obviously an accomplished golfer with a -0.6 index, thus assume you play most of your golf from the tips.

Have you ever played Crowbush in PEI or the Rock in Muskoka?

Check out the slope ratings from the tips at Crowbush (Slope 148) and the Rock in Muskoka (Slope 144). Having played both (certainly not from the tips) I would say the Rock is the toughest course I have "ever played". Thats why they have closed the course for 2007 and will reopen in 2008 when the JW Marriott resort next door opens. They are still going to keep the course challenging for the low index player, but will make it more player friendly for the average golfer.

http://www.golfpei.ca/course_descrip..._crowbush.html

http://www.therockgolf.com/rockgolf....=120&page=2479#
    The lowest rating/slope course I played last year was a 75.6/138. It's a Jack Nicklaus course called Northern Bear, and yes I play from the tips. The toughest or should I say, the highest slope/rating course I played last year was 74.1/140 and that's called Jagare Ridge.

The courses I'm playing next week have the following rating...

Grayhawk Talon - 73.6/143
    " " Raptor - 74.1/143
    Troon Monument - 73.3/147
    " Pinnacle - 73.4/147
    We-Ko-Pa Cholla- 73.0/136
    TPC Scottsdale Stadium -74.6/138

Those courses you were talking about sound a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Unless they have 6 sets of tee boxes, what's the point in playing there?

The TPC Stadium course that the PGA Tour plays only has a rating/slope of 74.6/138 from the tournament tee boxes, and that is nothing compared to the quoted 148. It's good that they're closing it and re-opening in my opinion.

Back to the main point though...Slope and rating really don't have too much to do with how nice a course is really, so that was probably the wrong context to use for this topic, although some of the nicer courses usually have a higher slope and rating because they tend to cater to the non-hacker crowd.

This could be argued though, because I'm willing to bet We-Ko-Pa is going to be the nicest course condition wise down there, and it's lowest on the list as far as rating and slope go.

Damn! Got side tracked again......Where were we again??? Oh yeah...Greensmere greens vs. "World Wide" courses....

The lowest rating/slope course I played last year was a 75.6/138. It's a Jack Nicklaus course called Northern Bear, and yes I play from the tips. The toughest or should I say, the highest slope/rating course I played last year was 74.1/140 and that's called Jagare Ridge.

The courses I'm playing next week have the following rating...

Grayhawk Talon - 73.6/143
    " " Raptor - 74.1/143
    Troon Monument - 73.3/147
    " Pinnacle - 73.4/147
    We-Ko-Pa Cholla- 73.0/136
    TPC Scottsdale Stadium -74.6/138

Those courses you were talking about sound a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Unless they have 6 sets of tee boxes, what's the point in playing there?

The TPC Stadium course that the PGA Tour plays only has a rating/slope of 74.6/138 from the tournament tee boxes, and that is nothing compared to the quoted 148. It's good that they're closing it and re-opening in my opinion.

Back to the main point though...Slope and rating really don't have too much to do with how nice a course is really, so that was probably the wrong context to use for this topic, although some of the nicer courses usually have a higher slope and rating because they tend to cater to the non-hacker crowd.

This could be argued though, because I'm willing to bet We-Ko-Pa is going to be the nicest course condition wise down there, and it's lowest on the list as far as rating and slope go.

Damn! Got side tracked again......Where were we again??? Oh yeah...Greensmere greens vs. "World Wide" courses....
    Sounds like you will be playing some terrific courses in "The Valley of the Sun".
    Hope to get down there within the next couple of seasons.
    Was on holiday in Scottsdale in my pre-golfing years.

Have a great trip !!

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    My top 3 public courses:

Eagle Creek
    Stonebridge
    Smuggler's Glen (Well worth the drive)

Quote Originally Posted by B Nation View Post
    My top 3 public courses:

Eagle Creek
    Stonebridge
    Smuggler's Glen (Well worth the drive)
    I've heard a lot of good things about Smuggler's Glen. Where is that located?

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Sounds like you will be playing some terrific courses in "The Valley of the Sun".
    Hope to get down there within the next couple of seasons.
    Was on holiday in Scottsdale in my pre-golfing years.

Have a great trip !!
    Thanks a lot. Maybe I'll try to get a group together for next season to all go down and take advantage of the sun. I'll keep you in mind if I end up doing something like that.

Thread Information