+ Reply to Thread

Thread: re-gripping

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar

re-gripping

hey

question for all you guys,

can an experienced person remove a grip from one club and install on another?

i have never found this out before.

thanks

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Yes. Grips can be removed with a compressor or a blade style remover or a pressurised grip remover.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    The best thing I ever did was buy a gun type adaptor for my compressor. Now when i install grips I don't use any adhesive material. I just put one wrap on masking tape for sizing and blow the grip on. When I need to change a grip or switch grips form club to club, then it's easy to just blow one off and put it on the other. If the grip has been installed using grip tape, then it gets tricky and youhave to either cut it off or use a pressurized grip remover like Andre said. If you do this often, get an adaptor and a compressor!

You can remove a grip with adhesive tape using a compressor. All you have to do is to use solvent. If you want the full instructions Denny I can email them to you.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    You can send them to me chief. I have a compressor but have yet to get the adapter for blowing off grips. However any instructions would be appreciated. Where can I find the adapter?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    You can send them to me chief. I have a compressor but have yet to get the adapter for blowing off grips. However any instructions would be appreciated. Where can I find the adapter?
    Need your email. All you need is a blow gun and a lexan tube or a shaft tube .
    http://canadiantire.ca/browse/produc...=1176588792529
    Mahatma Gandhi

I'll send you a PM with my email address. I've tried a few with grip tape underneath and end up with a grip balloon!

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    I'll send you a PM with my email address. I've tried a few with grip tape underneath and end up with a grip balloon!
    That will be taken care of with the instructions.
    Mahatma Gandhi

All emails sent. Here are a couple pics of the tube you can use when blowing grips off. One is clear Lexan and the other is braided pvc. You can also use a black shaft protector tube or black PVC. Reason I prefer Lexan is that it is transparent and you can view the grip at all times.

Couple dos and don'ts:

If blowing a grip that has been installed with double sided tape it is best to use grip tape when reinstalling(otherwise the grip will twist)

If regripping with a brand new grip with no tape it is best to use a grip of a smaller size i.e .580 on a .600 shaft for a tighter fit. You might have to use just a tad of solvent to get the grip going or just a little bit of tape(because the edge is rough where the shaft has been cut)
    Mahatma Gandhi

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Was over at Andre's yesterday and witnessed air compresser grip removal first hand Bit of a lesson as well,now im looking for a compressor big time!
    Hard part is finding the clear tube.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar
    That the part that I found hard is finding that clear tube that he uses.
    Claude

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Next time im at Chiefs place im gonna just steal his
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

I've been doing it for a while now and i don't have a tube. It takes a bit to blow one up and it will give you advance warning. The best trick is to keep you PSI down and give short bursts of air. I 've done a few sets and have had 0 blow up on me.

I'v
    e tried a few with grip tape underneath and end up with a grip balloon!
    The tube keeps it from excessive ballooning especially with grips installed with double sided tape. It is also a good eye/hand protection. You can go biking without a helmet . Some guys use a slit grip over the grip to keep it from ballooning. Whatever you do just be careful.
    Mahatma Gandhi

3 Wood willylax is on a distinguished road

How much do blow guns cost?

nm

between 7 or $10.
    Mahatma Gandhi

7 Iron TP Tomi is on a distinguished road

Talking Ok Chieflongtee ..

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.
    I'm in the process of buying a a compressor to blow grips off that I'd like to save.
    I know someone will say there are easier ways, but honestly, I'm an ole dog, and well ..
    you know how the saying goes.

I've always used the white pvc and have never had a problem. Quick, fast, and very easy.
    However, I don't like to try and save corded grips .. the compressor kina blows the cords out ..

I'm looking for a nice compressor, but forgot how many gallons the one that I used was
    when I worked at the golf shop in Florida. I'm all set up in my new place here in Vegas,
    all I need is a compressor .. lil bugers are expensive too!

Sooo, just how many gallons should my new compressor hold? I think the one I used in Florida
    was like a 15 gallon, maybe even bigger. But that was a shop where we did alotta grips daily!

I'm thinking all I'll need is something in the 3-5 gallon range .. around 125 psi?

Thanks Chieflongtee .. I know you'll chime in with great advice .. oh and ..
    I'm kina partial to Craftsman ..

Thanks man !!!
    “There is no similarity between golf and putting; they are two different games one played in the air, and the other on the ground.” Ben Hogan ..

The number of gallons really do not matter. The smaller the tank the more often your compressor will start"

Read the following thread and you'll get all your answers:
    http://www.freegolfinfo.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=2452382
    Mahatma Gandhi

I only keep mine around 80-75 PSI and it works fine, I don't use the PVC tube either which isn't smart but I like to see whats going on. I find if the PSI is too high I get a lot more ballooning.

7 Iron TP Tomi is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    The number of gallons really do not matter. The smaller the tank the more often your compressor will start"

Read the following thread and you'll get all your answers:
    http://www.freegolfinfo.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=2452382
    Hahaha, I even belong to that site also Chief .. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    I don't use the PVC tube either which isn't smart but I like to see whats going on. I find if the PSI is too high I get a lot more ballooning.
    I tried that once .. just to see what would happen .. no bueno .. lol

Thanks you guys!
    “There is no similarity between golf and putting; they are two different games one played in the air, and the other on the ground.” Ben Hogan ..

7 Wood sharon.gmc is on a distinguished road
    Yes, you can do that. . . Many players do that actually. . .

Quote Originally Posted by willylax View Post
    nm

cdn tire

Campbell Hausfeld Blow Gun

58-7980-8

Mahatma Gandhi

Grip blowing instructions

Author: Arnie's clubs

Grip Blowing Instructions

To install a grip: clamp the shaft in a vise, apply 8" section of masking tape to shaft covering the sharp edge of a butt with a rough edge, dip mouth of grip in soapy water or mineral spirits to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 ", start mouth of grip onto shaft in usual way, put blowgun nozzle tip into vent hole of grip, hold grip near mouth (do NOT choke the mouth end of the grip DO NOT CONTINUE ADDING AIR AFTER THE GRIP IS FULLY INSTALLED, apply burst of air while guiding the grip mouth onto shaft. The grip will slide on. It takes a little practice to learn how long the burst of air should be. Air goes down inside of shaft, tries to escape out of the grip, grip expands and will slide on. Remove the air gun from the vent hole while holding the grip fully down the shaft. To align a grip, apply a short burst of air while rotating grip to desired alignment. Start it right and you can skip alignment! If you use a grip with the same core size as the shaft diameter yoou MUST use enough masking tape to compensate for the lack of the thickness of grip tape! Best results are with one layer of masking tape and a .58 core grip on a .60 diameter shaft. Winn wrap grips are .595 core and require only one layer of masking tape on .58 diameter shafts and no tape on .60 diameter shafts. Thin walled grips (Tour Velvet) are prone to stretching so it especially important not to apply air while choking off any or the air flow at the grip mouth.
    To remove a grip: Place the "protector tube" (IMPORTANT) over grip, punch through tape behind the vent hole (my tool is a piece of pegboard hook pressed into a hole part way through a golf ball and sharpened to a point on a belt sander), if grip tape was used to install grip shoot some solvent (mineral spirits) into the vent hole, put the blowgun nozzle tip into vent hole, apply long burst of air, the grip will expand in the "protector tube" as the air bubble travels down the shaft and tries to escape from the mouth of the grip and "pop" out the mouth (place a rag over shaft to catch the solvent (if used) spray. If air doesn't reach the mouth of grip, remove the blowgun and reapply solvent or roll back the mouth of the grip, rolling it back to the original position before applying air. Once "popped" you can remove the "protector" apply bursts of air while twisting and gently pulling the grip off the shaft. Twist while applying air! You will know where the twisting is needed (if not needed, grip will just slide off shaft on cushion or air). Process is "testy" on thin grips so roll back the mouth area as described on grips like Callaway OEM, Tour Velvet, and dried out grips (cut these off). All others can be saved 99% or more of the time as your skill at this method improves. If grips were installed by using MASKING TAPE as explained above you can easily save Winn grips. Winn grips on regular double stick have a save rate of approx. 90%.

Side notes: Shafts that have been butt cut with a tube cutter may be rough edged and require smoothing or covering the butt with masking tape before starting a grip. Do not bend Winn grips while during installation, lead them on close to the mouth end while applying air.

When removing Winn grips it is not necessary to use the protector tube.
    With Winn grips you must add small bursts of air until the butt of the grip is freed from the shaft. Continue to give small bursts of air to the grip while gently twisting the grip in the direction that does not unwrap the grip. If you encounter resistance of air travel through the grip cover the air gun nozzle with a rag and remove the air gun from the grip. Once the air gun is removed from the grip you should add grip solvent through the grip vent hole and continue the removal process.

Installing the Blowgun Tip
    The blowgun tip is made to fit a standard blowgun such as a Campbell Hausfeld model MP2167. These blowguns are readily available at hardware and home improvement centers.
    1. To properly install the tip remove the tip that comes with the blowgun.
    2. Screw the new tip into the blow gun.

This completes the assembly of the blowgun tip.

The provided “protector tube” will fit over all grips except jumbo oversized putter grips. These grips have extremely thick walls and can be removed in the same manner as Winn grips.

CAUTION: If a grip starts to swell excessively or bubble during removal without the “protector tube” being used, immediately withdraw the blow gun from the grip vent hole.
    Mahatma Gandhi

The tip you want to use is the 2nd one from the left.
    CDN TIRE :
    Campbell Hausfeld Air Inflator Kit
    $6.99
    Product #58-7962-2

Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information