CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Will Weir and Ames Miss "Home Game"?

So far, through the Masters, the 2007 President's Cup International team standings show the Top 10 being made up of 4 Australians, 4 South Africans, and 1 Fijian. Ames and Weir are ranked 13th and 18th respectively.

With 2 Captain's picks available to Gary Player it could be interesting at crunch time to see who those picks will be. If Ames hangs around the 11-12-13 spot, not much would be made of Player using on of his picks to select him. But, if Weir hangs out around the 18 spot all season, should Player use his other pick to round-out the Canadian representation due to the "home game " factor, and possibly alienate and piss off other more desrving players, and even damage the reputation of the event? Or, should he pick based on building a team that is best equipped to win?

Remember, at this point there are a number of more-than-qualified players between Weir and the 10 spot. Notably, KJ Choi, Rory Sabatini, Michael Campbell, Aaron Baddeley, and Tim Clarke.

Do Weir and Ames deserve "home field" spots regardless of where they end up in the ranking, or do they need to "play their way in" to respectability if they end up outside the Top 10?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Player already stated at Augusta that he will not let the "home field" thing influence his decision. If they are not playing good enough, then he will not pick them. But Player does like and respect Weir so I would bet Player would pick him if Mike is playing well around selection time, even if he is still down in the rankings.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'd bet that one of the two will get the nod, but not both of them........

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Okay then. Which one do you think would get the pick? Let's say that Ames and Weir both stay where they are in the standings. I believe that Weir would be the sentimental favourite, but Ames "finished" 5 spots higher. Who's in?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I know he said there would be no "home field advantage" for picking, but he did pick Immelman last time who was in the 20s as far as rankings. I would say he would scoop Weir between the two. He has previous experience, and like was said, he is a Player favourite

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    nothing personal its just business, and golf is a business, they are out to win. so i would think he will choose the highest ranking Canadian, which is this case is Aimes.

or.......

do you toss in the player with the most knowledge playing in an event like this for strategy reasons? which in this case would be Weir... tough call...

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I have to go Ames - sorry Mike but you've been playing more like ME than the former Masters Champion that you are............

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    If he does pick one of them, I think he will pick Ames over Weir...... Weir just hasn't been playing well the past couple of years and he really isn't showing much, if any improvement. I personally don't think he should pick a 'homie' if they don't deserve to be there..... put your best team on the field and go for the win.....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Bob Weeks (ScoreGolf) asked Gary Player this exact question while at the Masters:
    http://scoregolf.com/blog/bob-weeks/...TOKEN=98589946

(Bob Weeks) "I asked Player one question concerning the Presidents Cup, which brought a predictable response (but we needed him to say it for a piece we ran on Sportscentre)."
    Q. If you might indulge me with a Presidents Cup question, if Mike Weir and Stephen Ames were to finish on the side of the top picks, how much to consideration would you give them to the team, seeing as it's going to be in Montreal?
    GARY PLAYER: Very difficult thing to sit here now and talk about your picks. And particularly, Canadians. And obviously, my dream, every time I pick up that paper every week, I'm seeing how Mike Weir is doing, having won the Masters and the most significant Canadian golfer, and I'm just hoping he's playing well. But to be fair to my team and as captain, it's my obligation to pick the best team. And if they are not in the ballpark, I can't just pick them because they are Canadians. I mean, I would be crucified if I did that, and it's not the right thing to do. But you know, I look at -- when I picked Trevor Immelman, I was criticized -- Australia crucified me. I never have heard the press men say I did the right thing now because I know I did. This guy is one of the ten best players in the world and I just knew how he was playing. But if I see a person who is lying maybe 13th, and you see his graph going up and the guy at 12 is going down, I put 13 in. That's the best way I can explain.

(Bob Weeks continues) "I don’t buy that nonsense about Trevor Immelman. I mean, the guy was 23rd on the list when he was picked and yes, he did turn out OK, although he played only average at the Presidents Cup, playing mostly with Weir. In fact, he and Weir sat out one round. So I think he’ll be hard pressed not to pick Weir or Ames unless they are playing particularly horrible."
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I talked to Gary and told him I will be retiring soon, and I will be available for the President's Cup.
    He said he would watch my index throughout the summer and make his decision and be in touch.

See you guys in September

Personally my thoughts are this: If neither Ames or Weir are playing well enough to make the team then I would prefer not to see them picked. Yes I know it would be great to have a Canadian on the team. But I look at it this way. If Mike really wants to be on this team then he should really want to start playing better. A win this summer would surely help his status. He needs to play some of the events that are not filled with the Top 25. He needs a WIN. He needs Top Tens.
    If he does not have the desire to improve his game then IMO Gary Player should leave him at home in Draper Utah.
    Same feelings about Ames too.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Ames is playing much better than Mike. His 64 at Harbour Town today is simply one more example of that. My bet is that Gary Player will give the nod to Ames.

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    I am really pulling for Weir. I think he needs to get to top 15 in points before Player can justify putting him in. Ditto for Ames, but I have a feeling he will play his way onto the team.

Thread Information