100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    2 Iron yun is on a distinguished road

Ben Hogan Apex Plus - Thoughts?

Greetings!
    I've just started playing golf last year and have become quite the addict. Recently, I've been looking around for a newer/ more advanced set of irons to replace the current set of clubs I currently have (Ascend Nitros, if you've ever heard of them). Anyways, I've come across, what I think, is a stellar deal for a used set of Ben Hogan Apex Plus's. I've read a few reviews here and there, but I was hoping to get the thoughts of 'normal' golfers here in ottawa on this set of clubs. I haven't been able to track down a set of these that I could try out, so maybe some of you out there have hit these clubs before and could give me what you think of them in terms of forgiveness, feel... etc, and if you would recommend them for a golfer like me (I shoot in the mid to low 90's). Thanks

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I used a set of Apex Pluses as my 'A' set all of last year. They are beautiful clubs and I liked them quite a bit. They are more of a player's cavity back with the feel of a blade but a bit more forgiving. In saying that it should be noted that they are not the most forgiving club on the market, but they are certainly better than blades.
    If you're looking for feel and some forgiveness these would be great clubs for you and a 90s shooter should be fine with them. They will be worlds better than your Nitros. Plus they are arguably one of the most beautiful clubs ever made.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I currently use and have used a set of Apex Plus irons for this season and last. I shoot around 90, sometimes lower, sometimes higher, and as Proforged said, they are not the most forgiving, especially on thin shots, but when you hit them pure, it's very, very nice.

It took me a few rounds to get used to them last spring but since then, they have been great.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

9 Iron Christian is on a distinguished road

Talking

Here's something from Golf Club Review that might interest you.

http://www.golfclubreview.com/hogan_apex_plus.htm

Used a brand new set of these last year and loved them. When you hit the ball properly, it is a very sweet, buttery feeling.

I sold mine earlier this year as I went for the Apex blades (which have less offset for my draw). Would highly recommend for a low to mid-handicapper (like you) but probably not as forgiving as the Edge or CFT. I would never go back from a forged club!!!!

Hope this helps.

Par CBrown is on a distinguished road
    I score in the mid-80's, play Apex Plus irons and couldn't be happier with them. Choosing irons is obviously a personal thing, but for me, these irons look great, set up great and feel great. They aren't fantastically forgiving (I find that mis-hits lose significant distance but tend to hold their line quite well), but good swings produce beautiful results with a feel that you'll remember when you set up to play your next shot. Try them first if you can (obviously) and if you end up buying them used, I'd suggest having someone look them over for you. They're a very soft club and the lofts and lies can get wonky if they're played hard. I'd recommend them - they'll be a heck of alot better than your nitros. Last summer I came across a few people who played these clubs, couldn't believe that Hogan stopped producing them and were actively searching for back-up sets ... so if you find that they're not the clubs for you, resale shouldn't be a huge issue. Hope this helps ...

Lob Wedge Doooooh! is on a distinguished road

Talking Nicest looking clubs around!

Every time I go to a golf shop, I have to hold one of these clubs... I've actually played a round with a set of demos two years ago or so, and absolutely loved them, the only reason I haven't bought a set is price... :crying
    Now that's gonna leave a mark!

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Hoganize Yourself!

Simply the nicest looking club out there. There is not a nicer feeling than when I hit a clean shot and just want to "hold the pose" until the ball lands....

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Originally posted by The Shtick
    ... just want to "hold the pose"
    Vogue

hahahaha
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

BUY THESE CLUBS!!

Hi,
    I finally recieved these clubs. Took alittle while to get used to, but once my swing adapted - wow! If anyone is looking for a new set of clubs (or used) go take a gander at ebay. These clubs hold the line pretty good on mis (but of course the trajectory gets messed) with pretty decent distance. I think i finally understand what this concept of 'feel' is with clubs. And when you hit these pure - wow. These clubs swing themselves. I can't say enought about these clubs. Went out to manderly a couple days ago and broke 90 for the first time!! THANK YOU ALL WHO TOLD ME TO GIVE THE CLUBS A CHANCE!! Like I said.... if you're looking for a new set of clubs, go to ebay. Mine cost me $300 CDN including shipping. It's been the best buy for me, next to my ball retrieving club/stick for shots in the water.

Consider me oh so Hoganized.
    Yun

Oh yeah,
    The clubs are very shiny. If you get it just right on a sunny day, you can refect light into your playing partners eyes just before he drives the ball. BONUS!!

Thread Information