CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter supercustom is on a distinguished road

hybrid shaft length?

Hi. I'm building two hybrids and can't seem to find any standard advice on shaft length for hybrids. The heads are Makser AS40, which have .370 hosel. I have UST Irod hybrid shafts in stiff. I assume no need to tip trim, since the shafts are designed for hybrids. However, I can't decide on the proper length. The Makser website shows these as built to 39.5" for 21deg head and 39" for 24deg head. But I don't know what shafts they would be using for factory built clubs. Golfsmith, on the other hand, suggests 41" and 40.5" respectively for graphite shaft hybrids at these lofts. I'm guessing that Golfsmith suggests longer clubs because they are, I think, assuming .335 tip shafts, and are spec'ing for proper launch on that basis. I'm partly wondering if the Makser specs are different due to the .370 tip. If it helps, the heads both have 60deg lies. Should I go with the Makser specs? Thanks for any input! supercustom

At risk of going on... I should add it's a standard bore head, so not much of the shaft goes into the hosel.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Do not assume that because it is a hybrid shaft that it is not made to be tip trimmed. Check the trimming instructions first,
    Most companies will suggest various lengths mostly because of a target swingweight. I for myself will match the length with the equivalent weight of an iron. But if swingweight is not an issue and if in no hurry try the following; after the heads have been glued do not put the grips on permantly. Slit a grip(remove the cap as well) and head to the range with impact decals and masking tape(or a lie board if you have one). This way you can try different length combinations by sliding the grip up and down until you hit your target i.e the proper lie and length for YOU and centre face contacts. Once you hit your target mark the shaft with a marker and cut it there.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Do not assume that because it is a hybrid shaft that it is not made to be tip trimmed. Check the trimming instructions first,
    Most companies will suggest various lengths mostly because of a target swingweight. I for myself will match the length with the equivalent weight of an iron. But if swingweight is not an issue and if in no hurry try the following; after the heads have been glued do not put the grips on permantly. Slit a grip(remove the cap as well) and head to the range with impact decals and masking tape(or a lie board if you have one). This way you can try different length combinations by sliding the grip up and down until you hit your target i.e the proper lie and length for YOU and centre face contacts. Once you hit your target mark the shaft with a marker and cut it there.
    Don't mean to be editing you post Andre but did you mean to say equivalent length?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Don't mean to be editing you post Andre but did you mean to say equivalent length?
    That is quite OK. I meant equivalent length for equivalent iron weight. In other words if the hybrid weighs the same as the 3 iron I will tip trim (if required) the same as a 3 iron and make it the same length as a 3 iron.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks for the tip on the driving range experiment. On tip trimming, I've seen this shaft listed on Golfsmith with instructions only to butt trim to length. I play my irons +1/2" so I'm inclined to try longer first, then go shorter if my game demands it. I just wanted advice on the discrepancy which I wasn't sure if was due to the lie angle of these particular heads. But as you say, regardless of that, I need to fit to MY game.

I would double check if I were you:

http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/trim.php

Shaft Brand:UST Shaft Name:IROD Hybrid Long Iron Shaft Stock Number:3898i Category:Graphite Iron Shafts
    Mahatma Gandhi

Wow, don't know how I missed that. OK, the shaft I have is the Irod hybrid long iron (Golfsmith stock# 3898i). The guide at Golfsmith lists tip trimming for irons (2 to 5). Since I'm using the shaft for a true hybrid head, do I go with the equivalent iron it's replacing for the tip trim? Or am I just asking for trouble trying to use this shaft in a hybrid head? Thanks again for the (so far) helpful advice.

Just go with the equivalent weight in an iron i.e if the hybrid head is 240 grams use the tip trim for a 3 iron and so on. You will notice that most hybrid heads weigh just about the same of the iron head it is supposed to replace.
    Hope this helps.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information