100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge mar_mem is on a distinguished road

Changes at Camelot

Just curious to know how many people are aware of the changes at Camelot this year. New clubhouse, range & membership offers. www.camelotgolf.ca

FAQ #1 - Is Camelot for sale. Answer. No.
    FAQ #2 - Is CL trying to buy? Answer. No.
    FAQ #3 - Is Camelot a great golf course? Answer. Yes

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    so when are you going to invite me to play?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

If you are considering joining, just send a email to the GM and I am sure he will make arrangement for you to play a round to check out the great course

well unless i win the lottery i will not be joining camelot anytime soon

Check out the New Initiation membership and what it includes? Then compare it to the neighbourhood of private clubs at that level including the new CL in the far west end. You may be pleasantly surprised

Lob Wedge golfer2007 is on a distinguished road
    Has Camelot picked up any new members this year? I though the initiation was 22K, looks like they are making hot deals to stir up some interest. Is this new strategy working. I know there are many members trying to sell their shares.

Yes, Camelot has new members this year already. The 22K you mentioned is for an equity share and is not an initiation membership.

Our new initiation membership (first time ever offered) is set at $16,500 and includes a spousal membership as well.

The club made changes to its sale of shares a few years ago and one can only now purchase a share directly from the club. And like any club, members come and members go. We do have shares for sale.

Interested !!!!

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Uhhh...$16,500 is still pretty steep considering you're still responsible for $3500 plus tax for annual dues.

If you compare it to clubs like the Hunt and the Royal, we are a bargin at $16,500 and our dues are 3,250. And again our dues are lower than theirs as well.

That being said, when you consider that a couple can join for the $16,500, that is an amazing bargin.

Quote Originally Posted by mar_mem View Post
    If you compare it to clubs like the Hunt and the Royal, we are a bargin at $16,500 and our dues are 3,250. And again our dues are lower than theirs as well.

That being said, when you consider that a couple can join for the $16,500, that is an amazing bargin.
    actually that is no where near a bargain. A bargain is 2L of milk for 2.99.

Beer is cheaper

So if someone buys an initiation membership they are not buying a share? Won't this slow the sale of shares? I am a shareholder and went on the sellers list in 2004 and got #60 on the list. I'm starting to worry I will ever see my share sold.

The sale of the initiation will go to the next person on the list no differently than an equity share sale.

I would also suggestion that you may want to talk with the GM should you have any further questions about it. He is more than happy to address any of your questions.

You're still talking $16,500. That's not chump change no matter who you're talking to, then you need to add the $3500 plus tax per year for annual dues. That's over $20,000 to play golf, which compared to some private courses, yes, is cheaper, but I don't really see a market for it on this board.

Not to discredit anyone on here, because I have no idea what anyone does financially, nor is it my business, but I think there may only be a hand full of people on here who are members of private clubs.

I think most are content with their public or semi-private memberships. In fact, Outaouais is a nice course, semi-private, and I've always wondered what the fees and initiation was there.

Actually $16,500 is a pretty good deal. You're not paying 20K every year. Member for 20 years and the 16,500 is not really an issue. It's a hobby. Compare it to fishing and its not expensive at all. I know plenty of guys buying 20K boats to fish and no one is assuming they are millionaires. And a boat continues to cost a few thousand a year. I think too many people believe a place like Camelot to be out of reach when it is not. It's just a mindset. If you love playing golf and want to play in 4 hours (just try that on public courses) and can afford 3k a year on a hobby, its an easy decision.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Weather or not 16k is affordable is up to the individual. There certainly are members of this forum that are in that market, so it's inappropriate to diss the fees just because you personally find it out of your range. As mentioned it is a reasonable price when compared to the other top private courses.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    The sale of the initiation will go to the next person on the list no differently than an equity share sale.

I would also suggestion that you may want to talk with the GM should you have any further questions about it. He is more than happy to address any of your questions.
    Have you been inside yet to see the improvements they have made, comments ???

Not yet. But the site used to have all the drawing and floor plans and it looked like it was going to be excellent. They are making it so they can host a PGA event if they wanted to. I wouldn't compare Camelot to Club link courses. They are a different experiece. They provide multiple course access with a large membership for a lower price for sure. Camelot is a small country club. The membership is all about the golf course. On a saturday afternoon there is only the odd member on the course. You'll see a father and son group playing with no one on the hole in fornt of them or behind enjoying. Unstressed, unhurried leisure time. With 450 members, sound financials, the club is stable and every member has a voice in the shaping of both the course and facilities. There are long terms plans to continue making it nicer (very much like Augusta). Clublink is more like TPC were you are getting a national membership and because of the volume of members you pay less. Talk to both clubs and play as many courses as you can. All courses are eager for new members now since no club in ottawa has a waiting list no mater what you hear.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfer2007 View Post
    Not yet. But the site used to have all the drawing and floor plans and it looked like it was going to be excellent. They are making it so they can host a PGA event if they wanted to. I wouldn't compare Camelot to Club link courses. They are a different experiece. They provide multiple course access with a large membership for a lower price for sure. Camelot is a small country club. The membership is all about the golf course. On a saturday afternoon there is only the odd member on the course. You'll see a father and son group playing with no one on the hole in fornt of them or behind enjoying. Unstressed, unhurried leisure time. With 450 members, sound financials, the club is stable and every member has a voice in the shaping of both the course and facilities. There are long terms plans to continue making it nicer (very much like Augusta). Clublink is more like TPC were you are getting a national membership and because of the volume of members you pay less. Talk to both clubs and play as many courses as you can. All courses are eager for new members now since no club in ottawa has a waiting list no mater what you hear.
    Or something similar...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Or something similar...
    Last year they hosted the Quebec amateur, a PGA event might be a stretch but the Canadian Men's Amateur is a possibility.

The Canadian Senior Amateur was held there. Old one person broke par for the week. A Camelot member finished 2nd. The Amateur will likely be played there some day. LPGA Qualifiers has been played there too.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    DIRT CHEAP compared to most, but you have to contend with green fee players which usually isnt a problem). I'm not sure what it is this year since I sold my share a couple of years ago but do know that at one point over the wintere the initiation fee was reduced to $1000 with the annual dies at 2495. Have a look at www.golf-outaouais.ca

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    You're still talking $16,500. That's not chump change no matter who you're talking to, then you need to add the $3500 plus tax per year for annual dues. That's over $20,000 to play golf, which compared to some private courses, yes, is cheaper, but I don't really see a market for it on this board.

Not to discredit anyone on here, because I have no idea what anyone does financially, nor is it my business, but I think there may only be a hand full of people on here who are members of private clubs.

I think most are content with their public or semi-private memberships. In fact, Outaouais is a nice course, semi-private, and I've always wondered what the fees and initiation was there.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Weather or not 16k is affordable is up to the individual. There certainly are members of this forum that are in that market, so it's inappropriate to diss the fees just because you personally find it out of your range. As mentioned it is a reasonable price when compared to the other top private courses.
    Who's dissing the fees because they personally find it out of their range? Certainly not me.....I'm a former Rivermead member and the initiation was more than that...I'm a little confused by your comment.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    That's odd. Sure sounded like it. There certainly is a "market for it on this board".

Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Gap Wedge redgun22 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    That's odd. Sure sounded like it. There certainly is a "market for it on this board".
    I think that there are several members or prospective members of private courses that frequent this board. While private golf club members are sometimes just well off, they are very often not all that well off and just the type of golf fanatic that would spend time on a board like this... and dedicate an innordinate percentage of their income to this "hobby".

Quote Originally Posted by golfer2007 View Post
    All courses are eager for new members now since no club in ottawa has a waiting list no mater what you hear.
    For the record, Royal Ottawa still has a waiting list for full Ordinary Members (who have access to prime tee off times and can vote on club matters). New members can play immediately with Associate Member restrictions and as of March the wait time to get full Ordinary priveleges was about 16 months.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Outaouais is a nice course, semi-private, and I've always wondered what the fees and initiation was there.

There is a promotion on right now and they are offering a low $750 initiation for the first 50 new members. They are up to 40. It will be $1000 after that. Annual fees are around 2400.

http://www.golf-outaouais.ca/english/Rates2007final.PDF
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

think that there are several members or prospective members of private courses that frequent this board.

I aggree and I am one of those. And I am open to any one that wants to play a home&home (Camelot is my home). I actually havn't played Royal yet, any members out there?

Thread Information