CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    5 Iron Dustin is on a distinguished road

How much do you tip for lessons?

I've treated my mother and myself to 6 hours of private lessons at the Marshes.

How much are you suppose to tip the pro...if your even suppose to tip at all?

I had my first hour the other day and i didn't give him anything...i was going to wait until there all done to give him anything if i'm suppose.
    He was kind of waiting around though after....i didn't know what to do.

How much of a tip are you suppose to leave after paying $500 for lessons?
    Mabye they should give me a tip

Thanks

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    I've never heard of it being offered (or expected).

I treat it more as a visit to my DOCTOR instead of my HAIRDRESSER!!!

Enjoy the lessons & don't worry.......

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    TIP?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Tip: Stay behind the ball.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Thumbs down tip??????

You've got to be kidding.

5 Iron Dustin is on a distinguished road
    thanks guys.
    Thanks goodness i didn't give him anything

9 Iron javguy is on a distinguished road
    lol

Sand Wedge TMWG is on a distinguished road
    I think that there are exceptions here.

And why are the respondents in this thread so incredulous???

Take me for example: I'm a new golfer, first season, and have had one package of 5 lessons from a pro, I'm likely going to take 5 more before the winter. I've already broken 100 and have felt that this guy has gone above and beyond the call of duty.

Why should I not tip this person, who works in the service industry, for exemplary service?

The answer is while I'm not obligated to I am much more grateful to him than the lackey who brings me my cold soup and over cooked steak.

So if you want to and feel it is justified by all means TIP.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TMWG
    I think that there are exceptions here.
    There are exceptions but golf pros charge a hell of a lot for a one hour lesson like 10 times the hourly rate of your lackey.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    There are exceptions but golf pros charge a hell of a lot for a one hour lesson like 10 times the hourly rate of your lackey.
    Call me crazy but I think that Golf Pros have invested a lot more money, time and resources to hone their craft than my server at Swiss Chalet, I believe they should be compensated appropriately.

For me the premium they charge is well worth it, for others maybe not.

I believe they should be compensated appropriately. For me the premium they charge is well worth it, for others maybe not.
    I guess today is the day that "old" threads are renewed.

Golf Pros are compensated appropriately, thus the high hourly fees. They are not part of the same job class where a tip is "expected" to make up the lack of salary.

Do you tip the consultant who was hired to perform a task for your office? Did he not invest a lot of time, money and resources to be where he is today? Do you feel he is compensated appropriately?

I've yet to hear any complaints from golf pros that they are not compensated properly. Something tells me Kevin Haime, Marc Peterson etc. are doing quite fine.

Hey, if you want to pay more, then by all means.

Thanks em69 I appreciate your permission to pay more if I want.

Truth is gifts or tips are given to all sorts of professions who are paid appropriately.

Do you have any children? Have they ever given a gift to their teachers. Cleary your reasoning has some holes. Also, I never specified that the tip was necessarily money. I work in the beverage industry and a gift to my golf pro might be a $50-$100 bottle of wine.

All this said, no where did I state that everyone should feel obliged to tip their golf coach. Only that when presented with top rate service I like to recognize it with a token of my appreciation. Which happens often in business I might add.

Truth is gifts or tips are given to all sorts of professions who are paid appropriately.
    I don't want to get into a war on words here, but a gift is not a tip and a tip is not a gift...don't get them confused and don't make it seem they are the same thing. Also, you used the term compensation. "Compensation" is something (usually money) which is given or received as payment for a service. Compensation is not a gift and it is not a tip.

This thread is about giving a tip to your local pro, not about giving him a "thank you" gift.

Do I have kids? Yes, plenty.

From Wikipedea:
    A tip (also known as a gratuity) is an amount of payment to certain service sector workers which is in addition to the advertised bill or fee. These payments and their size are a matter of social custom.

Quote Originally Posted by em69
    I don't want to get into a war on words here
    Clearly!

Semantics aside, i think it's quite obvious in this conversation that compensation/gift/tips and so forth were all meant in the same spirit of thanking a golf pro for going above and beyond the call of duty.

My point was and is that I think it is appropriate and the preceeding posters did not, period.

Do you have any children? Have they ever given a gift to their teachers. Cleary your reasoning has some holes. Also, I never specified that the tip was necessarily money. I work in the beverage industry and a gift to my golf pro might be a $50-$100 bottle of wine.

All this said, no where did I state that everyone should feel obliged to tip their golf coach. Only that when presented with top rate service I like to recognize it with a token of my appreciation. Which happens often in business I might add.
    So if he buys a bottle of wine from you and he is quite satisfied does that mean he should give you a tip on top of that?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Now you're talking!

3 Wood lastplace is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin
    I've treated my mother and myself to 6 hours of private lessons at the Marshes.

How much are you suppose to tip the pro...if your even suppose to tip at all?

I had my first hour the other day and i didn't give him anything...i was going to wait until there all done to give him anything if i'm suppose.
    He was kind of waiting around though after....i didn't know what to do.

How much of a tip are you suppose to leave after paying $500 for lessons?
    Mabye they should give me a tip

Thanks
    If you like the pro, buy your next set of clubs from him/her. Spread the word around as well. I have never given a direct tip, but I have done it through other referred business or purchases.

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar

Question

I've got a long road ahead of me. I must find every good teacher, baseball coach and anyone who has made me a better person in general and tip them acordingly.Anyone have a reference guide as to what everyone I run into deserves as a tip.

"Richard"
    And why are the respondents in this thread so incredulous???
    Congrats on becoming only the 3rd person on the forum to use the word incredulous. You join mmason31, and Reid. Dan kilbank used it onces but it was a joke that I suspect was copied and pasted so lets not include him.

Anyway, I am tipping my CPGA pro this year. Going to find out what balls he plays and buy him a box.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Anyway, I am tipping my CPGA pro this year. Going to find out what balls he plays and buy him a box.

ROFLMAO&PMP Dick, are you going to buy them from his Pro Shop or on the used market?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

"Richard"
    I never pay retail for anything... not even my lessons LOL. Lets first find out what he plays and I'll figure it out later Hopefully its the hogan tour deeps... I just picked up 170 of them for $70can My friends have already called dibs on all of them however but I'll have enough to last me the rest of the season. Crazy thing is the balls sell for that much after taxes just for dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    ROFLMAO&PMP Dick, are you going to buy them from his Pro Shop or on the used market?

Nice call "Richard," Dick, thotho. Very much in the spirit of what I was orignally thinking. However, not sure how you've tracked the number of times incredulous has been used on the forum. Perhaps the server crashes when words with more than two syllables are used. Damn there's another! ;-)
    Last edited by TMWG; 08-15-2006 at 10:22 PM.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    The waitress at the Swiss Chalet is probably making minimum wage plus her tip--the golf pro is making as much as a doctor with nowhere near the training or the responsibility--tip--say "thanks I will see you next week" Oh yeah; dont forget the profits from the pro shop!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

You want a tip here are a few: keep your head down,slightly flex your knees,keep left elbow straight,hit down on the ball. All these tips are free of charge
    Mahatma Gandhi

"Richard"
    well, who would you rather have be nice to you... hook you up when you need their help, squeeze you in when YOU need to see them? The CPGA pro or the fat lady working at swiss Chalet? Id much rather be on my CPGA pros good side than a waitress. Why do i care if she is making min wage? maybe she should have gone to school. Oh she is in school? maybe she should take osap... oh, her parents make to much money but don't support her? maybe she should have been nicer to her parents. Giving a tip to a waitress because she makes min wage is stupid. Maybe we should tip the people at walmart, maybe we should give money to the pan handlers because they make less than min wage.

People who become Dr's for the money are complete idiots... because of the people I personally know who make over 300k, none of them are dr's ext for one ENT surgeon. TIP your bar tender so you get served at the club whenever you want a drink and don't have to wait. And tip your CGPA pro. I went to GT once and got a 45 min lesson from the free because he was board and someone canceled. Why, I gave him my golf glove because it was to big for me and fit him perfectly and because I brought him an ice cap last time I was in for a lesson

send me your address, I want to send you an expensive bottle of wine!

I agree completely. And to illustrate another example, because i appreciate my pro he has taken me out for a full 18 holes of golf on a GTA course that's just under $200/round for no charge, except for the 45 minutes that I had already booked him for that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    well, who would you rather have be nice to you... hook you up when you need their help, squeeze you in when YOU need to see them? The CPGA pro or the fat lady working at swiss Chalet? Id much rather be on my CPGA pros good side than a waitress. Why do i care if she is making min wage? maybe she should have gone to school. Oh she is in school? maybe she should take osap... oh, her parents make to much money but don't support her? maybe she should have been nicer to her parents. Giving a tip to a waitress because she makes min wage is stupid. Maybe we should tip the people at walmart, maybe we should give money to the pan handlers because they make less than min wage.

People who become Dr's for the money are complete idiots... because of the people I personally know who make over 300k, none of them are dr's ext for one ENT surgeon. TIP your bar tender so you get served at the club whenever you want a drink and don't have to wait. And tip your CGPA pro. I went to GT once and got a 45 min lesson from the free because he was board and someone canceled. Why, I gave him my golf glove because it was to big for me and fit him perfectly and because I brought him an ice cap last time I was in for a lesson

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Call me crazy but I think that Golf Pros have invested a lot more money, time and resources to hone their craft than my server at Swiss Chalet, I believe they should be compensated appropriately.

For me the premium they charge is well worth it, for others maybe not.
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE SWISS CHALET!!!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    According to your logic "richard" maybe we should tip the doctor so that he would squeeze you in when you really needed him. Not all docs make 300K plus. My GP was audited last year as a routine check by Ontario Hosp. They get paid 13.20 per 15 minute visit--that works out to 52.80 per hour less their exspenses. As far as the waitresses-are they not in the same line of work as the "cart girls" and I KNOW you tip them.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac
    According to your logic "richard" maybe we should tip the doctor so that he would squeeze you in when you really needed him. Not all docs make 300K plus. My GP was audited last year as a routine check by Ontario Hosp. They get paid 13.20 per 15 minute visit--that works out to 52.80 per hour less their exspenses. As far as the waitresses-are they not in the same line of work as the "cart girls" and I KNOW you tip them.
    Wow that's crappy money for a GP. I made $45/hour more than that on my last job.

"Richard"
    The Hippocratic Oath

I will treat without exception all who seek my ministrations, so long as the treatment of others is not compromised...

This is why you don't need to tip your Dr. you can kick him in the nuts, sleep with his wife and come in the next morning with a gun shot wound and he still had to treat you. Do that to your pro and he might teach you how to slice when you ask him how to draw Yes, I do tip cart girls but I was also the one who took a lot of heat for saying that I tip cart girls based on how hot they are and not based on the service. Don't get me wrong, if my waitress was hot she would get a bigger tip. There is just something about being on a golf course, sweating, wanting a beer... you compensate the person who brings you one. I can tell you this much, if the cart girl was a cart guy... I wouldn't tip a single penny (unless it was donny because he is so sexy). Tip your CPGA pro, esp if you are taking lessons at a course you aren't a member at. I won't give names but I took a lesson at a course in kanata with the pro (3 lessons) and he more than covered to cost of the lesson by discounting my green fees by more than 50% for the rest of the year as long as it was peak time. Why? I tipped him. The only cpga pro I haven't tipped is the guy at the ottawa golftown and that was only because it was my first year and I didn't know any better and I'd look like an idiot walking in now after seeing 3 other pros and buying him a box of balls

Quote Originally Posted by big mac

Thread Information