CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 900 golf balls?

"Richard"

900 golf balls?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasnt sure since I'm not real looking to discuss the balls themselves.

I found a guy on craigs list who is selling a dozen balls for $2 so I was thinking... balls never go bad and since I am not good enough to tell the dif between a prov1 or a xl3000 why dont I just buy 75 dozen for $150 so me and my friends have all the balls we will need for the next 5 years?? Balls are in mint condition and are top flites, dunlops, wilsons ect.

He said he couldnt mail them because its about 10lbs per 100balls

smart? stupid? why?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    You have to figure if the balls are priced at $2/dozen then they can not be in very good shape. Otherwise they would be worth more on the open market.
    I can buy mint Titleist NXT Tours, used at $10/dozen.
    So how good can those balls be at $2/dozen?

You are quite likely correct in the fact you are not good enough to know the difference between a XL3000 and a Pro V. Years ago a CPGA Pro once told me that unless you are a single digit handicap it really doesn't matter what ball you use.

Now that may have changed with the new balls. I know a guy who is a 13 and he swears he plays better with Pro V's than XL3000's.

BTW 12 balls weight 1 pound, 4 ounces.

IMO, stay away from $2/dozen golf balls. If you really want those let me know, I can find lots of those once the course opens up. They are laying in the swamp! All I need to do is put my waders on and go in and get them. Since I will be retired I will have spare time on my hands
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

"Richard"
    here is the ad

pinnacle,topflite,wilson,dunlop etc. all in egg cartons in excellant condition.
    selling in lots 10 with each containing 12 balls in carton ($20) for 120 balls

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by "Richard" View Post
    here is the ad

pinnacle,topflite,wilson,dunlop etc. all in egg cartons in excellant condition.
    selling in lots 10 with each containing 12 balls in carton ($20) for 120 balls
    Well I guess you call, go look at the balls. Make sure you ask if they are pond balls (Not that the guy will likely tell you if they are)
    If they look decent then buy them. Slash away my friend! Only you can know for sure how good you are, and what balls you should be using.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

"Richard"
    just bought all 75 dozen for $125 He said he would throw in some titelists!!!! What a freaking deal!!!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    With the newer balls I think more than a single handicapper can tell the difference, especially between a high spin or a low spin ball. It does stand to reason that if you cannot compress the ball adequately then you are not getting the full benefit of the ball's properties. All this to say that I really dont benefit from hitting a ProV as I do not have the swing speed to cranck it out there. That is still a great deal but when you go pick them up look around to see if the guy has scuba equipment in the house, that's probably where all the balls came from, at the bottom of some courses ponds.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

"Richard"
    id be ok with pond balls, I'm not that great anyway and these days there guys clean the ponds out pretty quick. Its not like they were in the pond for 8 years or something. He is dropping them off on sunday.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    heads up for "richards" post "dozen balls for $5 OBO"
    hahaha..good pick up... if i see you on the course this summer i'll be asking for a couple balls though
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

"Richard"
    buddy, you want 60 balls for free you just ask I still cant beleive what a wicked deal this was. He charged me $10 to drop them off, poor guy has to drive an hour to get to me and an hour to get back home. what a deal

really?... yeesh are these balls made of anthrax or something? why is he so willing to unload them?
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    im guessing he didn't realize how much room 900 golf balls would take up when he decided to buy them

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    id be ok with pond balls, I'm not that great anyway and these days there guys clean the ponds out pretty quick. Its not like they were in the pond for 8 years or something. He is dropping them off on sunday.
    Should read this first
    http://www.g-forse.com/archive/news259_e.html

"So is a ball inferior, if it has been submerged in a body of water? 'Yes' says an U.S. Army Research Laboratory study. Golf balls absorb water that cannot be removed and this affects a permanent change. Testing by Golf Digest in 1996 found a golf ball submerged in water loses six yards after one week, 12 yards after three months and 15 yards after six months."
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    buddy, you want 60 balls for free you just ask
    Depe hook a brotha up

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Testing by Golf Digest in 1996 found a golf ball submerged in water loses six yards after one week, 12 yards after three months and 15 yards after six months."
    That's pretty out of date considering the changes in the construction of balls since 1996. In any case, for me 15 yards might be the difference between in the woods or just in the rough.

Mike999
    so??

Im really looking forward to hearing how these suckers turn out to be.

(forum lurking ftw!)

"Richard"
    Hey mike, You will hear soon enough, the guy is coming on saturday to drop them off (2 hour drive for him there and back and he only wants $10!). Anyway, I am willing to part with a few egg carton of balls. How about we set a 1 carton limmit on the give away and whoever wants one can just PM me Jarred, since you are so sexy... you can have two

I'm not keeping them all, my friends and I are just going to split them up (they dont have to pay).

Will these come pre-microwaved?
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Thread Information