+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge BredStik is on a distinguished road BredStik's Avatar

Towel drill, probably not the one you're thinking...

Hi,

I've been using a drill recently that greatly improved my swing path. When you think of the towel drill, you may think about the one using the towel under the armpit. Mine is completely different...

I've been hitting pratice balls in my basement for most of the winter and noticed the marks on the sole of my irons showed a outside-in swing path, often resulting in a weak fade/slice. I headed for the first time to the driving range this weekend and my fear became true, I sliced everything. I actually drew the ball on every shot at the end of last summer but ruined my swing in my basement this winter (would've ruined it anyways by not swinging at all...).

I headed back home and thought of a drill I "invented" last summer. I rolled a beach towel forming a log and placed it just outside of the correct swing path to hit straight or draw. I placed it as close as I could to the ball without being obstrusive to a correct swing path. However, on every swing coming over the top, from the outside, the club head will touch the towel before touching the ball.

After a couple of hours using this drill, the marks on the sole of my irons are perpendicular to the face, indicating a straight club head at impact. I'll soon be on the range again, with the towell this time!!!

Let me know what you think about it!

For those having a slice and looking for a cure, this might be it! Let me know the results if you try it.

Here's a picture of the drill setup:

Last edited by BredStik; 04-02-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    that sounds like a good drill. Its kinda like the "Inside Path" drill that is sold on tv, without paying the $50 to use it! Def gonna give it a try. I don't hit a slice, but would like to turn my fade straight.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    That's pretty good, I bought an inside path knock-off for $20 and it works!!! The only advantage is that the IP has a loop that you put the ball in and keeps you from drifting the old head and keeps your eyes on the ball.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Gap Wedge john dunigan is on a distinguished road
    Great drill! Use it all the time. And if you hook, put it on the other side.

john

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    i have been using this drill for a few years now, i just put my driver head cover down beside the ball and away we go,

works great for getting inside,

Gap Wedge BredStik is on a distinguished road BredStik's Avatar
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one using this drill. I was really surprised to find that such an easy drill can lead you to a better swing. I've always been struggling with a slice (and I'm not the only one) and thought I would need new equipment or complete revisiting of my swing to get rid of it.

I did lots of research and I always ended up with technichal terms explaining how you should swing the club. Never had any success with these. No matter how hard I tried to "think" to swing from the inside, I would slice anyways...

The beautiful thing about the towel is that it forces you to hit from inside, you see it and you feel it and the ball won't go if you touch the towel. Simple as that! I've heard of a version of this drill where you're using tees to form the swing path, but I can't plant tees in my basement and I simply think the towel is a better idea!

I'll do a couple more hundred swings with it and hope to naturally swing from the inside on the course!!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Nice. Looks like a winner!

My only suggestion would be to not use a too thick/heavy towel. If the clubhead swinging at full speed gets snagged up in the towel, the sudden toe-out twisting and added resistance could result in a wrist injury, or at the very least, a damaged or broken club.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Pitching Wedge Golftime is on a distinguished road
    You can also use tees to create a target gate to swing through. Set two up on the inside behind the ball and two more on the outside just past the ball. This gives you a visual of the path that you want the clubhead to take. Kind of looks like the lights at an airport to define the runway. Tees are not dangerous and give you feedback if you swing offline.
    You can also use a small cardboard box instead of the towel or headcover.
    Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Thread Information