CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Iron Dustin is on a distinguished road

why buy clubs from a store?

I don't think i will buy balls, clubs, ETC from stores again....welcome to the world of the internet.

I just bought a full iron set of Taylor Made RAC OS Irons for $656 CAN including shipping. These cost $899 CAN at Chuck Browns.
    I saved over $250.
    These irons are brand new and in the box, still with the plastic on the heads.

I bought from a seller with great high feedback, so i have no worries.
    Even if something did go wrong, i paid with paypal, so you can get your money back within 30 days if there is a problem.

The total was $450 US + $30 US for shipping.

I think the only good thing stores are good for now is to demo the clubs and actually "touch and feel" them. Once you know which ones you like...head to ebay.

Do you think that actual stores can be in trouble one day?

I know i would never buy at a store again when i can save that much.

any thoughts?

my ebay id if anyone needs sports jerseys: jerseys-4-u

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

They both have their niche

Ebay is better if you know EXACTLY what you want and:

- you want to save money on high-end stuff like drivers, fairway woods and iron sets
    - you don't mind waiting a few weeks (or even months) to get what want at the price you want
    - you want to save money by purchasing used equipment but you also want a good selection
    - you are looking for hard-to-find items
    - you are willing to buy in bulk to save money (i.e, golf balls, gloves, shafts, grips, etc.)
    - you are willing to accept a little risk (i.e., worse condition than described, fraud, bidding infractions, etc).

Stores are better when:

- you're not sure what you want and need some help and product knowledge from the staff
    - you need custom fitting (sometimes included or discounted when you buy from the store)
    - you are buying single clubs, one box of golf balls, etc (no shipping costs to factor in)
    - you want to be sure of the condition of the club and you want to have a warranty
    - you want to try before you buy
    - you need it NOW!

As much as I like Ebay, I still like to buy some stuff at golf stores. Once in a while, they can beat Ebay on price too.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Do you really think it is fair to the retailer to go and take advantage of their demo stock, and waste the time of a sales representative, all the while knowing full well that you will buy off of ebay once you have the info you seek?
    It's hard enough for these stores to stay in business as it is. If everyone does this it will be the death of them. Whom would you use then?

Sand Wedge lcatley is on a distinguished road
    I can see your point Dan but times are a changin' and retailers have to adapt.

Look at the Photography industry and what digital cameras and imaging is doing to Kodak, Fuji.....

I agree that we should not abuse a sales person's time but retail stores have to change the way they do business and offer a new value proposition.

That's my 2 cents.......

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

stores

Dustin. Good for you if the deal came through this time...But one thing that you have to keep in mind. The stores are negotiable as well and if an offer is reasonable they have the capacity to override the price. Also don't forget about the warranty. If for some reason you buy a set at any store and do not like them and within a certain time frame they will most times let you exchange it.(same if a shaft breaks). You can even order customize clubs now... Food for thought.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

the new way to shop

I have thought this for a long time and it is finally starting to happen. Brick and mortar stores will have to have a robust and competitively priced online store if they want to stay in business. It is a simple fact that the way consumers buy products is changing. The same thing is happening in the car market. People go to test drive and decide what options they want and then it is far cheaper to buy through and online car store. This will save you thousands and the hassle of haggling about price.

Here are some predictions.

1) Brick and mortar golf stores will become demo centres and golf accessory stores. By that I mean that they won't carry large inventory of clubs. You'll go in and try some out, perhaps get fitted and then order your set online, perhaps right from the store. To be shipped within a couple of days. This is better for the store as well because they don't have to lay out huge cash upfront and space for a large inventory.

2) The lack of a major online player in the Canadian golf market is surprising. Look for Golf Town to enter that market soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Its like my situation also.
    I owned a sports store and started to sell some stuff on ebay here and there.

Now i only sell on ebay and work from home.

When i owned a sports store i was only making $70,000 a year, now since i've adapted to the times i make more than double that and i work half the hours.

Dan: no i don't feel bad for wasting a 21 year old's time talking to them about clubs.

Half the time they whisper "psss this item is cheaper at such and such store".
    They don't care. There happy to see you if there not busy...boredom sucks in retail as i very well know.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

one big factor

is the canadian $. It used to be prohibitive to buy on ebay when the dollar was @ 1.55 but now that it's down to about 1.37 it's a lot more worthwhile. Will we see a drop in consumer goods imported into Canada from the US? If the dollar stays stong for the next while, you would think so. Somehow, I doubt it. The retailers will have to follow suit as we've been paying way too much for goods in Canada. Go down to the US and go shopping for golf clubs, electronic equipment, etc. and you won't believe the prices.

I agree, warranty is the main reason for not buying from the US, but if you know what you want, it's pretty much the only way to go.

I'm still surprise by the lack of a big golf store in Ottawa. I think more competition is needed in the B and M arena.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Money talks

If you are looking to buy brand-new clubs and know what they cost on Ebay, then I think it is fair to take advantage of the store's demo stock if you give the store the opportunity to meet or come close to the Ebay price.

It is no different than test-driving a new car at one dealer, but buying it from another because they offer you a better deal. If the first guy wants my business, make me a better offer.

Stores will negotiate on price, so as long as you give them the opportunity for your business than I think you are treating them fairly. The internet is not going to go away, so brick-and-mortar stores are just going to have to adapt and make themselves competitive.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Ottawa needs a "golf town".

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    I agree with you el tigre. Bring a proof of an advertised price and probably they will move on the price. If they don't want, then shop elsewhere...

ccra

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dustin

When i owned a sports store i was only making $70,000 a year, now since i've adapted to the times i make more than double that and i work half the hours.

Dustin, If I were you I would not worry so much about Dan but rather about Canada Customs and Revenue Agency.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 05-30-2003 at 02:43 PM.

why?

My girlfriend bought a set from the USA and didn't pay that much duty.

ps. I'm not worried about anyone

Pitching Wedge RailRoad17 is on a distinguished road
    I wouldn't wanna see Chuck Browns Golf particularly the Orleans branch go under. Where else can you check the clubs and demo it right at onsite the driving range? I've bought clubs from ebay and Chuck Browns and the ones I bought from ebay are all gone while the ones I bought at the store are still in my bag.

9 Iron javguy is on a distinguished road
    Lately, I've been buying alot of stuff from Ebay. I went crazy over a span of 2 weeks but with some advice from people here I've been able to get items really cheap and brokerage free. All the sellers agreed to send via USPS and even mark the item as gift worth $50.

My biggest purchase is a brand new Scotty Cameron Futura putter which retails at Chuck Brown for $450+taxes. I was able to negotiate with a golf store in the US for one in perfect condition and ended up getting it for $190U.S.+$12shipping which comes roughly $275Cdn. So $275 instead of $517 at a retail store. I've also bought other clubs brand new which comes to about half the price of what you'd get here.

So Ebay works well if you've done your research, know what you want, look out for the good deals and have a friendly seller who would work with you.

Curious George

golf town

I don't why we're all promoting Golf Town. My friends from Montreal and Toronto say they enjoy going into Golf Town, but they always find a cheaper price at Chuck Brown's.

That said, the Internet is a fantastic option (even if its just to price compare), and this competition has finally made stores negotiate realistically. Aren't we all sick of feeling ripped off?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

golf town

While I don't believe they are any cheaper, the selection is 10x of what you can find in Chuck's, Pro Golf, etc. You can also take lessons right there, hit into a simulator to test clubs, etc, etc. They also have some good blow-out sales from time to time where you can get great deals on certain items.

Ottawa currently has a pretty poor golf retail sector considering the size of the city. A lot of pretty ordinary stores IMHO with little movement in price and average selection. I will say the service in Chuck's is pretty good but I can't stand T&L (who love putting what look like sale stickers on everything, even though their so-called sale prices are higher than everyone else's regular prices).

A store like golf town will hopefully bring some much needed competition and force these other stores to wake up.

Regarding the Internet and places like ebay, I don't see Chuck's or anyone else coming close to what is offered out there.

Andru

Golf Town

Golf town Rules.

It's one of the best experiences. It's the selection. If you're looking for say a taylor made 500 series driver. they have all models in differnt lofts, shafts,.etc....... It's worth it I hope we get one here in Ottawa.

Gap Wedge Darcy Tucker is on a distinguished road
    I've thought about this so much lately. Ebay is the absolute greatest friend to the golfer. It is just like a huge worldwide garage sale with organization. I can't stand going to golf stores like Pro Golf etc.... So much cashe. I have saved over 50% of my golf equipment over ebay. I feel bad for the golf stores but either lower prices or deal with the consequences. For example I saw a used set of maxfli revolution irons at Dimarco golf the other day for $500 whereas I just bought a set on ebay for $150 us total including shipping (including a sw).

Andru
    Golf stores have to pay staff, rent, blah blah blah. Look if you want to buy your gear from ebay good for you but don't act like they're marking up the stuff 200%. Geez do you buy your clothes from ebay too.

Clothes stores mark up they're inventory ridiculous amounts. I do think a little competition will lower prices a bit in Ottawa, but not to ebay levels.

Gap Wedge Darcy Tucker is on a distinguished road
    Geez do you buy your clothes from ebay too.
    You know what. To tell you the truth I have bought some clothes on ebay as long as I knew what I was buying.

grey market

I may be conservative a little as I have never purchased through ebay but my main concern is as follows: Do some of these items come from the Grey market? And are some of these items stolen goods?

Curious George
    Yes, I agree: golftown has great selection and is a fantastic place to go into. That said, I'd buy from the Internet. I never go to T&L, they are terrible at everything.

Things sold on the internet may be stolen, that's why you have to examine the sellers reputation closely. Another option, other than the almighty ebay, is this golf swap place, they actually have an insurance in case of fraud:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...quip&nav=start

And yes, while stores do have to pay rent, if I go to the same clothes store in Montreal, I find things at a better price, and a better selection. Your telling me Montreal's rent is cheaper?

Andru
    That was my point. Unclear I guess. No one complains about clothes stores and they have incredible amounts of mark up and a vast diversity in price for the same item.

It sounds like everyone is getting on the local golf shops. They're doing their best. Like I said a little competition would only help consumers.

Curious George
    Sorry, Andru, mis-read your intent.

Not getting on the stores, I just find the Internet has made me less of a sucker (easy to price compare). I love chuck browne's for convenience, but sometimes I feel ripped off (in other stores too). Rah Rah for the competition.

Andru
    Ahh I see your point and I concur.

Thread Information