100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Iron Dustin is on a distinguished road

difference between stiff steel and regular steel shafts?

Whats the difference between stiff steel and regular steel shafts?

Thanks

also what would be better for me ( a terrible golfer who shoots around 110

also could i mabye benifit from graphite?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Thumbs up Book yourself a clubfitting session

There's too many factors in play in each golfer's swing to give you a simple answer. A general rule of thumb is that R-flex shafts react better to lower swing speeds, S-flex at higher speeds. Same rule applies to graphite.

As far as steel vs. graphite, that usually boils down to a matter of what you think feels better.

When you start the transition down from the top of your backswing, the force you exert on the shaft with the change of direction causes the shaft to load (flex). During the downswing the shaft will begin to unload (straighten). Under optimal conditions the shaft will return to "straight" at the point of impact and continue to unload forward for a short period just after impact. A shaft that unloads too early (shaft too stiff) will result in a loss of distance. If it doesn't unload enough (shaft too flexible), again loss of distance and power.

These are just a couple of the many factors that your local golf pro will take into consideration at your fitting. Do your self the favour, see your local pro. It won't cost a lot and you'll be happier with your game in the long run.

Hope this helps. Happy golfing!

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Thumbs up Yeah, what he said

I agree with LobWedge. Here is some info from the golfclubreview site with more detail:

http://www.swingweight.com/learning_shaft_flex.htm

http://www.swingweight.com/shaft_fitting.htm

http://www.golfclubreview.com/steel_wood_shafts.htm

http://www.golfclubreview.com/steel_shafts.htm

I noticed you were looking for a set of Taylor Made RAC irons. If I was going to spend the kind of major $$$$ needed to buy a premium set like these, I would definately consult with a golf pro and/or have a club fitting session before laying out the cash.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

straight face

This statement from Eric Cook differs from what most people believe:

SINGLE FREQUENCY SYSTEM

Custom Golf Clubs

727-3818 65 Bentley Ave Nepean Ont.

"THE GEAR EFFECT" How And Why It Happens
    by Eric Cook. P.Eng. GSEM. PCS.
    As published in Flagstick Magazine

The gear effect is more easily understood if a few basic principles related to the Physics of Impact are explained first. I have met very few golfers that really understand how a golf ball is hit. That may sound like a strange statement in view of all of the books, video tapes, Golf Channel instruction sessions and other sources of information that are available to you. Let me explain.

Most golfers, experienced or not, believe that the clubface is SQUARE to the target line at IMPACT and that you contact the back of the ball during a perfect stroke. As I proceed, you will see that this is really a false assumption because the truth is that THE CLUBFACE SHOULD BE SQUARE TO THE TARGET LINE AT SEPARATION NOT AT IMPACT. The diagrams shown in figures 1 and 2 illustrate proper ball contact and separation positions.

Figure 1 shows the club path coming from the inside to the outside, as it should be for a properly executed stroke. The clubface is approximately two degrees open to the target line when the ball is struck by the clubhead. The ball stays on the clubface for about 5/10,000ths of a second, during which time the clubhead travels 3/4 of an inch to the position shown in Figure 2. This is the point of SEPARATION at which time the ball leaves the clubface going towards the target. Under these conditions, if you hit the back of the golf ball with the face square to the target line, the clubface will be closed by the time the ball separates from the clubface and the ball will hook or at least go to the left of your target.

If you have set up to the ball correctly, with the clubface square to the target line at address and the ball positioned for a Wood Head so that the inside edge of the ball is lined up with the centre of the clubface (see Figure 3a), execution of the swing as described above will result in a dead centre hit on the face of the club (Figure 3b). This dead centre hit should send the ball down the target line as planned with no side spin imparted to the ball. The ball is picked up by the clubhead and carried on the face of the club for about three quarters of an inch to the position shown in Figure 3c at which time the ball separates from the clubface and proceeds down the target line.

Eric H. Cook, P.Eng., iso-vibe inc.,
    Co-founder of the Swing-Sync System, patented in Canada in 1983. He is considered to be the foremost expert on the concept of single frequency matching.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 05-29-2003 at 09:11 AM.

Pitching Wedge Clutch is on a distinguished road Clutch's Avatar
    Pro Golf offers shaft analysis. "The Ultimate Golf Shaft Fitting System. " It costs about $35 (which is redemable) and it will answer all your questions about what shaft is best suited for your swing.

http://www.shaftlab.com/index2.html

I have Taylor Made supersteel burners right now.

I just want a upgrade...why not

Thanks for the answers. I knew the basics of the diffrence....i was just looking for technical stuff and found my answers on the net last night.

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road

Steel Shafts

A general statement with a lot of truth is that there really is no such thing as a regular or a stiff shaft. One company's R is another's S is another's X and so on, so you cannot compare the shafts in Hogan's to Mizuno's to Titleist's. Clubs made by these companies are mass produced and too often shafts in a set do NOT match.

Shaft manufacturers have not come to an agreement as to what frequency or deflection is an R or S or X,...so the consumer does not know what he is getting, even though the shaft band may say "Regular."

Having shafts installed by a knowledgeable club maker is better if they are either frequency or deflection matched so there is some true consistent differences in flex from club to club.

There are a few multi flex shafts out there that depending on where they are tip trimmed can yeild an L or an R or an S or an X flex.

I buy raw length Rifle shafts and then trim them so that the shaft flex is suitable for the player's swing. Apollo makes a good stepless multi flex shaft as does Harisson, although Harrissons tend to play a little stiffer than most.

Thread Information