+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge ipoh is on a distinguished road

No backswing swing?

At the 2nd annual "Better Golf Through Technology" hosted by iClub and MIT, Tomasi and Suttie presented an interesting “No Back Swing or Back Swing” research...wonder if it will "catch on"...especially for beginners? One less thing to worry about perhaps?

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

Done already ?

Didn't someone do an article on this in Golf Digest a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofish2 View Post
    Didn't someone do an article on this in Golf Digest a couple of years ago.
    I guess you were thinking about Leadbetter's "swing of the future"?
    http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio...ureswing1.html

Perhaps...haven't seen Tomasi/Suttie's research yet...don't know if it is similar or not. But I am sure it will throw off all my timing/tempo...

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

Boston Globe

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ipoh View Post
    At the 2nd annual "Better Golf Through Technology" hosted by iClub and MIT, Tomasi and Suttie presented an interesting “No Back Swing or Back Swing” research...wonder if it will "catch on"...especially for beginners? One less thing to worry about perhaps?
    In all golf swings the lower body starts forward before the arms and hands have finished their motion backward. This helps to conserve the angular momentum created by the bending of the right arm and the wrists. A no backswing swing would make this a greater challenge.

A more reasonable compromise is to start your motion with a preset of your wrists to hip high where the club is horizontal, parallel to your target line and the hands are in front of your right thigh. This puts your hands in the top of the backswing position, BEFORE you swing. From there just complete the swing. The power will be the same and the accuracy will be increased.

Pitching Wedge Golftime is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    In all golf swings the lower body starts forward before the arms and hands have finished their motion backward. This helps to conserve the angular momentum created by the bending of the right arm and the wrists. A no backswing swing would make this a greater challenge.

A more reasonable compromise is to start your motion with a preset of your wrists to hip high where the club is horizontal, parallel to your target line and the hands are in front of your right thigh. This puts your hands in the top of the backswing position, BEFORE you swing. From there just complete the swing. The power will be the same and the accuracy will be increased.
    Do you find that people can actually make a good swing when they preset of the wrists? I use that as a drill to give them the feel but many seem to be uncomfortable with it.
    Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Gap Wedge john dunigan is on a distinguished road
    BC,

Good post. Listen to this. I have a lot of success with no wrist set backswing and then set them on the downswing. Isn't that wierd?

JD

Quote Originally Posted by john dunigan View Post
    BC,

Good post. Listen to this. I have a lot of success with no wrist set backswing and then set them on the downswing. Isn't that wierd?

JD
    Is that like Jim Furyk's loop? Steep backswing and flatten out down?

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    not really, its more a snap like sergio....extremely efficient but hard to control without practicing like sergio...

It's more like setting the wrists on the downswing and not snapping them at all but letting centrifugal "throw out" uncock them.

JD

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    feeling the heaviness put them in that position i presume john

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golftime View Post
    Do you find that people can actually make a good swing when they preset of the wrists? I use that as a drill to give them the feel but many seem to be uncomfortable with it.
    Anything new feels different and for some, uncomfortable. However, there is a definite purpose behind it and if it improves the swing motion, then the uncomfortable feeling is JUST a feeling and can be overcome with a little practice. I have used this preset on all full swings for 8 years now and I feel that it has made me a better ball striker.

Leadbetter used this drill on Nick Price and Nick Faldo in the 80's when he was revamping their swings. Price had virtually no wrist hinging until very late in the back swing and he would suffer from the rebound affect. In short time, Price was setting much earlier and both he and Faldo went on to become superior players. An earlier set also gets the club shaft, right elbow on the ideal plane on the backswing so that no or less compensation(loop) has to be made on the downswing. Just push the hands back, parallel to the target line, at the start of the downswing and all falls into place.

This proves that the "one piece takeaway" or "the low and slow" takeaway, or "the first 12" is the most important part of the swing," are all myths.

Power Draw: I like it!

Always remember. There is very little that is right or wrong in golf when the right idea is given to the right person. Early set is great for some, horrible for others. One's truth is another's disaster...I just gave a lesson to a very good young lady that you would not believe. I will tell you that i have NEVER said the same thing to another golfer. I would call it wrong, but for her, it's dead on the money right.

JD

Thread Information