CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar

Question Driver vs. 3-Wood

Hi Marc. I guess this is for you but opinions are welcome from anybody in our viewing area.

I've reached an interesting point in my g#@fing career in that my Driver (PING) has become almost unmanageable but my 3-Wood (of the rack)has become pure gold. With our baked fairways up & down the Ottawa Valley, I've been recording a regular 240+ without even a hint of a slice or hook. Six were over 280 last week. My buddies have even convinced me to leave the Big-Dog at home. I tried 3 rounds without it & hit high 70's each time (about normal being a 10 handicap)

The Driver used to be my best club!! Now it's the worst. WHY, WHY, WHY???
    Should I leave in the basement??

Any thoughts or drills??
    Thanks,

Marc Peterson
    Hi Faldo, if you used to hit that driver well and now you can't, I strongly feel that it is a technical (golf swing) problem that you have developed.
    Help me out by anserwring a few questions.
    What is the ball doing out there when you miss hit your driver?
    Is your 3 wood low when you hit it good?
    If you miss hit any club is the tendency to be a high cut?

What is the shaft make and flex in your driver and three wood?

Let me know

Marc

Driver & 3-Wood Specs...

Quick response, thanks Marc.

1) Ball flight off the Driver used to be 95% long & straight (240+). The last three of rounds produced about one of those period!! I was now looking at a lot of wicked slices, even the ones that started out looking good would slice at about the 200 yd. mark. For me, very weird...

2) 3-wood goes pretty high for the most part but I try to keep it low on windy days.

3) there's no tendency for high cuts with any clubs.

4) Driver is "PING-ZING 2", 10.5 LOFT, Graphite & Reg. Flex.
    3-Wood is "INFINITI 603", 15.O LOFT, Graphite with I believe a regular Flex. All it says on the shaft is CLASSIC 11 500.

Both have good clean grips. The Driver is 4 1/2 inches longer (measuring from the points were the head sits onto the shaft.

Marc Peterson
    Hi Faldo, sorry it took a little longer to reply this time, it has been a zoo at the golf school. I am going away next week and this is pretty busy.

For what you are telling me the ball start at your target then slice to the right. If the ball start at the target it is a good sign, it means you are not coming over the top. You are probably just ahead of the ball at impact. Let me explain, an ideal position at impact is 70% of your weight on the front foot with your sternum behind the ball. You are probably ahead a little. It could be one of those three things
    1) Ball to far back in your stance (make the ball in lign with your left heel.)
    2) At the to p of your back swing fell 70% of your weight on the back foot.
    3) Keep your head behind the ball throughout the entiire swing.

Try one or all of these things and let me know.

Marc

Driver Tips

Thanks again Marc.

We're leaving tomorrow ourselves for ten days on Vancouver Island & the travel bag is a little tight, so the Driver will stay home & pout. I'll try out your tip about my head position at the range in the near future. Maybe my brother-in-laws video camera is the best way to go (outside of lessons). My regular bunch of golfers all struggle to reach 95 & I wouldn't be comfortable listening to what they said about my positioning.
    I don't feel that your other thoughts really apply as my balance/weight feels really good & the ball is always of my left heel. Of course, who knows what I might see on that video!!

Thanks again for the help & good luck getting through the summer.
    Faldo,

Thread Information