CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar

Answer for Btasse / 009

so we resently had a Scotty 009 on the site

and Btasse had a question as to what makes it so special, no offence Lance but your answer sucked! lol. and being one of the forum scotty guys i thought i should elaborate... for those people that dont know what a 009 is and why it costs $2500+

here is your answer:

One of the original Ping model's that many pros grew up using had a very distinct sound, hence feel. The putter had the zip code in the cavity (85029) and many collectors came to know that putter as a Ping Anser 029.

Around 1994, give or take, Scotty made a putter that was similar in sound to the Ping Anser 029. It was very limited tour putter.

Scotty developed and started making a putter that had the same look and more importantly, sound, as the Ping Anser 029. I think during the development of the putter the zip code at the Studio ended in 009, it has since changed, and the putter was called 009 keeping with the history of the Ping Anser 029.

On a side note a similar putter to the 009 was made in solid copper. It is not identical to the 009 but is similar, it is called the BBC for Billet Block Copper. Only 50 were made.

These are the differences the 009 has over a Newport:

- wider body front to back
    - thicker topline
    - flatter topline
    - deeper cavity
    - rounded/softer edges
    - bigger bumpers
    - hybrid Newport/Newport II sole
    - large number of finishes available (Black Pearl, Brushed Black Pearl, Black Pearl Mist, Pro Platinum, Oil Can, 3x Oil Can, Brushed Oil Can, 3x Black and Black Oxide)
    - neck variations (standard Newport plumbers neck, long Newport plumbers neck, standard Santa Fe neck, long Santa Fe neck and center Santa Fe neck)

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar

009 Scotty

Thanks Jarred for the info...... (we just recently traded wedges so you have seen my SC 1.5 Proto).
    I guess i am still trying to get some info from someone that is using the putter itself...... Seems like everybody buys them and dont play with them. I get the same feedback on the Cameron Collector web site. They seem to be more of an investment item than a club you play with......... Right or wrong??/

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    so we resently had a Scotty 009 on the site

and Btasse had a question as to what makes it so special, no offence Lance but your answer sucked! lol. and being one of the forum scotty guys i thought i should elaborate... for those people that dont know what a 009 is and why it costs $2500+

here is your answer:

One of the original Ping model's that many pros grew up using had a very distinct sound, hence feel. The putter had the zip code in the cavity (85029) and many collectors came to know that putter as a Ping Anser 029.

Around 1994, give or take, Scotty made a putter that was similar in sound to the Ping Anser 029. It was very limited tour putter.

Scotty developed and started making a putter that had the same look and more importantly, sound, as the Ping Anser 029. I think during the development of the putter the zip code at the Studio ended in 009, it has since changed, and the putter was called 009 keeping with the history of the Ping Anser 029.

On a side note a similar putter to the 009 was made in solid copper. It is not identical to the 009 but is similar, it is called the BBC for Billet Block Copper. Only 50 were made.

These are the differences the 009 has over a Newport:

- wider body front to back
    - thicker topline
    - flatter topline
    - deeper cavity
    - rounded/softer edges
    - bigger bumpers
    - hybrid Newport/Newport II sole
    - large number of finishes available (Black Pearl, Brushed Black Pearl, Black Pearl Mist, Pro Platinum, Oil Can, 3x Oil Can, Brushed Oil Can, 3x Black and Black Oxide)
    - neck variations (standard Newport plumbers neck, long Newport plumbers neck, standard Santa Fe neck, long Santa Fe neck and center Santa Fe neck)

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    While your answer is very detailed and great, I still don't understand why this putter is $2500. It sounds like the Ping Anser2, it looks like a Ping anser 2 and it is a limited edition, tour only putter. So what? Does it make you putt better? Is it made of Rhodium or some other magical super expensive compound?

Does the $2500 come from it being a limited edition only?
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btasse View Post
    Thanks Jarred for the info...... (we just recently traded wedges so you have seen my SC 1.5 Proto).
    I guess i am still trying to get some info from someone that is using the putter itself...... Seems like everybody buys them and dont play with them. I get the same feedback on the Cameron Collector web site. They seem to be more of an investment item than a club you play with......... Right or wrong??/
    Acutally, I think most 009s are gamers, only a few with special finishes or stamping become exclusively wall hangers. I've never putted with an 009, but I have seen and held quite a few. You hold one in your hand, and it will be obvious to you that it has a much higher level of craftsmanship than any OTR or even LE putter like your 1.5. The reason a premium is paid for these is the limited availability, the tour only head shape (which is extremely popular), the exotic finishes, stamping and grips, and finally the ability to get them in custom weights and lengths.

i agree with D on that... most 009 are gamers... and if i am not mistaken 009s are hand made. and your 1.5 proto is machined

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    You are mistaken, Jarred, lol. The 009s are definitely not handmade, it would take forever to produce enough just for the PGA tour if they were, nevermind everyone else. I think they might get a little extra shaping for special pros, but mostly they come straight off the mill like any other putter. Even the $5K GSSs like Tigers, and the $7500 G&Gs all come off a mill. There's just not that many 009s is all, and the stampings/finishes/weights really mean there aren't more than 2 or 3 alike, most of them are probably unique.

true... my fav putter ever is the 009 peace putter that was for sale on TCC a little while ago... when i make my first million...

Thread Information