CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar

Ottawa - Gatineau Spring Golf Conditions

We have one for mapleview but none for all the places. Every year someone starts one and it's a great resource to check on all the courses in the area.

I'll be playing LVM on Saturday so I can give an update on that one then. Anyone gotten out yet and have some info to share?

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    Played Nation this afternoon - annd.. ya still snow on the course!... but the fairways were pretty clear and dry on the front 9. Back 9 was still really soggy.

greens are rolling 'OK' for march. some winter kill makes for some bumpy putts.. but overall worth the $32 green fees
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Mike999
    I got home from playing Champlain this afternoon. The whole place is a lake. Truthfully this place should not be open IMO. There was a ton of snow, there wasnt a single fairway that was dry at all, a couple of the greens were lakes, not to mention the numerous puddles in the fairway.

I dont understand why they would open, sure they make some money, but they're going to have to spend a ton on fixing it. Just walking on some of the greens made them sink, and the footprint would fill with water.

On the other hand, I didnt have a driver, so I used my r7 fairway wood off all the tees, and it worked out quite well. I only duffed 1 tee shot the whole round.

6 Iron Rapture Man is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post
    Played Nation this afternoon - annd.. ya still snow on the course!... but the fairways were pretty clear and dry on the front 9. Back 9 was still really soggy.

greens are rolling 'OK' for march. some winter kill makes for some bumpy putts.. but overall worth the $32 green fees

Ditto Golfer_Gofer. Couldn't ask for a better day to start the season.
    Keep it vertical!!

Played Les Vieux Moulins yesterday.

SURPRISINGLY DRY! Fairways were in decent shape but the greens were alittle bumpy which was expected as some of the aeration holes from last year haden't filled in and there is obviously some small debris left from the snow. The greens were moving surprisingly fast though. Overall it's in better shape than January and look forward to playing there atleast a handful more times this year. Would be more but it's quite the hike. Definately worth it though this time of year I"d choose it over Champlain any day of the week it's worth the additional 10 minute drive from Ottawa.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    I honestly hope you were not surprised at the conditions. Champlain is always wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post
    I got home from playing Champlain this afternoon. The whole place is a lake. Truthfully this place should not be open IMO. There was a ton of snow, there wasnt a single fairway that was dry at all, a couple of the greens were lakes, not to mention the numerous puddles in the fairway.

I dont understand why they would open, sure they make some money, but they're going to have to spend a ton on fixing it. Just walking on some of the greens made them sink, and the footprint would fill with water.

On the other hand, I didnt have a driver, so I used my r7 fairway wood off all the tees, and it worked out quite well. I only duffed 1 tee shot the whole round.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    I honestly hope you were not surprised at the conditions. Champlain is always wet.
    LOL I learnt my lesson last year. It was a pool. LVM is further from Ottawa but alot higher. I'd recommend checking out LVM over Champ anytime during the spring or at all for that matter!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Champlain has a long standing reputation to open no matter what the conditions are, at least we all know that.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Sand Wedge kaiserii is on a distinguished road kaiserii's Avatar

Champlain, LVM closed today

I've been two golf course. but they didn;t open course.
    I saw one guy drilled short game at the Champlain.
    I went to Raceview played 9H. It's good condition but too cold there.
    Bye.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Champlain has a long standing reputation to open no matter what the conditions are, at least we all know that.
    ya, as long as the ground isn't actually frozen they are usually open for business.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    wow, this thread is pretty thin on course info. come on people help us out here, somebody must have played somewhere over the past week. anyone??
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Mapleview is in excellent shape for this time of year. Played there yesterday. Nice and dry.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Has anybody played - Dragonfly, Calabogie, Mountain Creek?

I am looking for somewhere to play on the weekend, with pretty good contitions for this time of year.
    Back at it.

7 Wood dan_670_12 is on a distinguished road dan_670_12's Avatar
    Has anyone driver by Canadian? How does it look?

Gap Wedge renovp is on a distinguished road renovp's Avatar
    dragonfly great greens, wet front 9, dry back 9
    nation dry everywhere, greens just o.k.
    champlain is a swamp++ greens just o.k.
    GATES like BILL

Sand Wedge pingzzing is on a distinguished road
    The best conditions I've seen this spring, are at Prescott. Decent course, dry and a short drive down the 416.

How about Polar grove?

Have anyone played Polar Grove yet?
    Please let me know the condition of it.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserii View Post
    Have anyone played Polar Grove yet?
    It opens tomorrow.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    any word on Emerald Links, Meadows, Anderson Links, Stonebridge?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

3 Iron Longball is on a distinguished road Longball's Avatar

Update

Update on Vieux Moulins anyone ?

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    We played LVM on April 1st and we felt like fools! lol

The course was very wet, but mind you, it was only the second day that they were open. They charge $38 per player right now and you get a 'free' GF coupon which expires in Mid May.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    any word on Emerald Links, Meadows, Anderson Links, Stonebridge?
    A friend of mine works at the Meadows... They are raking the sides of the fairways still... Might still be a while

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I'd love to hear some more current reviews as well if anyone has any. Aren't Geoff and Hoolio playing it today?

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Kingsway - fairly dry, though we had to play the front nine twice today. No standing water on playing surface, just a bit of water squishing up when walking from time to time (never had to take relief for casual water.)

Greens were dry, yet slow. Somewhat unpredictable - I don't think they have cut them yet.

Overall: not a bad experience - I look forward to playing it in the summer to see what it's really like. Worth going to play in the early weeks of this season.

This weekend? Who knows what it'll be like with nearly a foot of (not allowed to swear) snow coming tomorrow!!!!!

I'm supposed to play Nation on Saturday - I wonder whether the snow will be able to melt in time and whether the course will be able to absorb Friday's rain and still be playable on the weekend. Come on, golf gods! May better be supreme!!!

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Did we play the same course yesterday? Poor 3putt must have had a ball plug on everyother hole. I found casual water a few times. Maybe you just hit all fairways and greens? All in all I agree with you except there seemed to be a fair amount of standing water.

Quote Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
    Kingsway - fairly dry, though we had to play the front nine twice today. No standing water on playing surface, just a bit of water squishing up when walking from time to time (never had to take relief for casual water.)

Greens were dry, yet slow. Somewhat unpredictable - I don't think they have cut them yet.

Overall: not a bad experience - I look forward to playing it in the summer to see what it's really like. Worth going to play in the early weeks of this season.

This weekend? Who knows what it'll be like with nearly a foot of (not allowed to swear) snow coming tomorrow!!!!!

I'm supposed to play Nation on Saturday - I wonder whether the snow will be able to melt in time and whether the course will be able to absorb Friday's rain and still be playable on the weekend. Come on, golf gods! May better be supreme!!!
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    Did we play the same course yesterday? Poor 3putt must have had a ball plug on everyother hole. I found casual water a few times. Maybe you just hit all fairways and greens? All in all I agree with you except there seemed to be a fair amount of standing water.
    Fair enough - I guess I got lucky.

Having had a few hours to re-think my day yesterday, I do remember having to delicately remove my ball from a huge puddle in the middle of the ninth fairway. But that was the only time!

I guess the bottom line is that my feet did not get wet and that alone clouded my judgement... I just remember getting soaked a number of times last spring and that has yet to happen this year.

That said, playing golf at this time of year no longer is as much of a novelty as it was in late March - conditions should be getting better and better. With days like this, you have to wonder... but with the downgraded forecast, we should be OK - we do need some precipitation to ensure great conditions in May, right?!

But snow today?

Lob Wedge mcw79 is on a distinguished road mcw79's Avatar

golf conditions at Falconridge

I played the Raceview 9-hole course twice Tuesday, April 10th for $18 after 3pm and it was in great shape. The 18-hole course is not ready yet but the Raceview is definitely worth checking out. Good enough to shoot an 82!

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Anybody play Manderley today?
    Back at it.

It really open??

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    It opens tomorrow.
    I've called them to confirm my booking on Poplar Grove, but no one answered.
    May RM booking on Sat. Morning has been pending for 4days since 11th.
    I don't know I can play there tomorrow?
    What do you say?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    This morning a few of us played the Central and North courses at Manderley. While the fairways and cart paths were wet, the green were in fantastic shape for this time of the year. They were rolling very nicely aided, no doubt, by the fact that there were no aeration holes and no winter kill. The bottom line is that, while it took a bit of work walking the wet fairways, we had a very good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    Anybody play Manderley today?

Thread Information