100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter ExPro is on a distinguished road

Negativity Over Those Short Putts

How many times have I stood over a short putt, looked at the ball, looked at the hole and the path I wish the ball to travel and said to myself, “I’m going to miss this!”
    How many times have I, instead of backing off and regaining my composure, not converted what I consider a “gimmee?” (Baby talk for “give me,” a putt of two feet or less that a friendly opponent declares does not have to be holed)

I have missed such “give me’s” on countless times during social and competitive gatherings. On occasions, I have actually said to my playing partners “I knew I was going to miss that!” - which begs the question, “why did I continue with the shot?”

My own experiences is that, when I get such negative vibes I get tense and have a tendency to make a very short stroke and look up for my ball going into the hall. This can result in an upward spinning out type of putting motion which impacts side spin. As opposed to the text book rocking of the shoulders and my head remaining stationary delivering a pure strike which results in the sound of the ball in the hole before my head arises.
    My New Year resolution for 2007 is to back off a short putt every time I feel I am going to miss. Whether I deliver on such a resolution only time will tell. I do not believe Tiger Woods would continue with a short putt if he had any sort of negative thoughts. That is why he is the best in the world, he does not give his opposition any sort of advantage.

When I think of short putts, I think back to when Doug Sanders missed that short putt to win the British Open. My heart goes out to that guy! Can you imagine, in front of all that crowds and millions of TV viewers missing what was considered a “gimmee”. The only difference between my missed putt it cost me perhaps a friendly wager whereas with Doug Sanders he will always be remembered in history for that missed putt along with his stylish, flamboyant dress sense. In the same way Jean Van De Velde is remembered for throwing away the Open at Carnoustie’s 72nd hole.

Is it just me or are you fellow golfers in the same boat?

I can be contacted on graham@golfblogger.co.uk or I would be delighted if you visited www.golfblogger.co.uk and gave this Scotsman some Canadian posts!!!

Pitching Wedge Golftime is on a distinguished road
    It sounds like you have it half figured out. You know that you are letting poor thoughts into your head that cause you to deviate from your usual routine and stroke. Concentrate on doing all the proper preparation for the putt and then trust yourself. If watching it too early causes you to mi then don't look at all. Keep your focus on the spot where the ball was and just listen for it to drop into the hole.
    Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Thumbs up Putting

Thanks for your response. Recommend you have a look at Dr Paul Hurrion's putting laboratory with his biomechanical and hi-tech approach to this “game within a game” which is unique, including the use of the lab’s camera, computer and analysis software, together with Paul’s knowledge, will demonstrate to you things the human eye misses. Have a look at www.quintic.com as endorsed by Henrik Stenson, Padraig Harrington and David Howell. Some of the visuals are fantastic. A great combination of Harald Swash & Dr Hurrion using high-tec gear. Did you get a chance to look at my blog www.golfblogger.co.uk as I'm keen to receive feedback from golfers so we are continually improving.

Sand Wedge Sean Rea is on a distinguished road
    Take a quick look at this article: http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=9135

Keeping your pre-putt/shot routine is critical, and now that you have identified your cues that are causing you to miss your putts you can correct this. I think strategy of stepping out and refocusing is a great way to deal with this negative thought. The next thing to try to do is substitute the "I am going to miss this" with something positive that leads into your pre-putt routine.
    Sean Rea

Cheers Sean! great to hear from you over the pond. did you enjoy the Masters? thought retief played great but could not buy a putt! great for Zac Johnson who appears a family valued golf focussed guy. would love to get a link with ottawa golf as I am doing global coverage via www.golfblogger.co.uk and this seems to be well received. there have been a nos of Scots settlers & it wd be brilliant to hear from your end, give them coverage from other parts of the globe & Scotland. pls advise. Best Regards from the Home Of Golf. Graham

Thread Information