100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Mike999

Mike's a shaft noob: Question time!

Hey all, I bought a G5, and the head went bye bye on its third swing. I got to walk 80 yards out to the white flag at kevin haimes to retrieve the head. The club had a TP Mitsubishi Rayon X flex shaft in it.

I certainly cannot afford to buy a new driver, so I went to GT to ask about reshafting, the guy said it can definitely be done, and will cost between 100 - infinite depending on the shaft.

I cannot really afford a launch monitor session or whatever. The only thing I know is that I want a stiff shaft. Is there anything on the market that is cheap and worth recommending? On the same note, is there anything I should avoid at all costs?

Any info is appreciated,

- A rather agitated Mike.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    First off I'd check out the "Sales" bin at Golfworks - you can find some good shafts at very reasonable prices there......now I'll leave it to the club-builder types to talk about flexes, kickpoints, spinning and all that other Rocket Science stuff

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Sorry Mike, but there's no simple answer to the question.

How well any individual shaft works for you depends on your particular swing mechanics. In some cases a $500 shaft will be the best fit, in other cases a $25 will perform just as well.

There's also the "feel" factor. Even though a shaft is technically right for you, you may just not like the way it feels.

Only a proper fitting can say for sure. One simple/cheap thing to try is to hit some demos with different shafts and see which one you like.

Birdie Weirfan is on a distinguished road
    Did the shaft break or the head just come off?

if just off it should only cost $25 or so to reshaft it back up. needs to be cleaned and prepped and re-glued

If it snapped that is poor assembley job IMO...and if Ping did it complain !!!

If that is a factory install then contact Ping customer service, they will replace it free, particularly if it is a new driver, even if it was bought used.

If it is an install aftermarket, then whoever did it did it wrong and likely no recourse.

But call PING for sure

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I feel your pain.. I just had this happen.. Ping is def. not going to do anything with a TP graphic Diamana.. Myself I went to a V2.. Tons of good reviews and a lot cheaper then the Speeder I broke, and the Diamana in your case.. There are just so many diff. choices, its tough.. So far I like the V2 but its early. Its def. a harsher shaft than the speeder was...
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I got into this on another forum not too long ago. I don't see how anyone can recommend a shaft to a player across the internet without

A) Seeing the person swing
    B) Knowing the specifics of the person's swing (tempo, SS, release, transition etc)
    C) Possibly get specs from a Launch Monitor

Just too many variables that could end up costing someone way too much money in trying shafts recommended by someone on an internet forum.

jvincent said it best, hit up a local retailer and hit some demos with different shafts. Although the performance will still vary because it will not be the same head you have, you should be able to get an idea of what shaft works best for you.

For instance, Lance recommended the V2. I tried the V2 and disliked it immensely. Does it mean its a bad shaft, of course not. Just a bad shaft for me and my swing, but doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend it to someone that the shaft will fit their swing profile. As much as you hate to do it, you might have to pony up the cash for a fitting session, but on the bright side, many places let you put the cost of the session towards the purchase of a new shaft.
    Hope this helps.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Were you fitted for TP Mitsubishi Rayon X flex shaft in the first place? Or you just bought it off the rack?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

No, he bought it from a certain moderator.....
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Mike999
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirfan View Post
    Did the shaft break or the head just come off?

if just off it should only cost $25 or so to reshaft it back up. needs to be cleaned and prepped and re-glued

If it snapped that is poor assembley job IMO...and if Ping did it complain !!!

If that is a factory install then contact Ping customer service, they will replace it free, particularly if it is a new driver, even if it was bought used.

If it is an install aftermarket, then whoever did it did it wrong and likely no recourse.

But call PING for sure
    oh it broke, the fibre is shredded big time. I dont know who built the club, I bought it from jarred during the winter.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate it, but like I said, I pretty much have to go with the cheapest shaft I can find, I was more or less looking to see if I should avoid anything due to mass complaints.

I'll probably go get a graffaloy amp driver shaft. at 48 bucks I wont complain. Im far from being a golfer who will notice anything aside from flex. I only know if it feels wobbly or not haha.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    No, he bought it from a certain moderator.....

did you hit it off the hossle or something?

I used it after it was re-shafted and it was fine, i hit it 100 or so times...

but...i would have no problem either buying the head back for what you paid me for it. or I will give you some cash to re-shaft it...

I am just as upset about this as you... lemmy know what you need bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post
    I dont know who built the club, I bought it from jarred during the winter.
    as for the person that shafted it, we wont go there...

oh it broke, the fibre is shredded big time. I dont know who built the club, I bought it from jarred during the winter.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate it, but like I said, I pretty much have to go with the cheapest shaft I can find, I was more or less looking to see if I should avoid anything due to mass complaints.

I'll probably go get a graffaloy amp driver shaft. at 48 bucks I wont complain. Im far from being a golfer who will notice anything aside from flex. I only know if it feels wobbly or not haha.
    sorry I glanced over and missed the part on the fact it was a Taylor Made shaft so obviously not a ping install.

sounds like the shafting job was substandard or the shaft was previously damaged.

there are two main faults when reshafts are done resulting in failure. ok 3

1.improper preparation/coning of sharp edges resulting in a shear point stressing the shaft and breakage. Here you will see a fairly clean break and there will be no epoxy residue above the shaft fracture

2.evidence of shredded and frayed fibers and not a clean break are the result of too much heat having been applied during shaft removal and or twisting of the clubhead when heated. It is very common for too long and too much heat to be applied particularly when a lesser quality shaft extractor is used. The damage may not be visible but the fibers are toasted and thus fail

3. the most common cause of breakage I see in graphite shafted clubs ( alot of them OEM's ) is too much epoxy being used upon assembly. when the shaft is inserted the epoxy will go up the center of the shaft as well and if this goes above the hosel top it hardens and creates a shear point that can and will fracture. What needs to be done is the epoxy blown out of the shaft from the butt end first so there is no epoxy in the shaft hole.

here you will see the fracture at or above the hosel line and there will be evidence of the poor work with epoxy residue in the broken shaft end.....if so...that is the cause.

hittting off matts can just exacerbate the weakend shaft from the above 3 causes and make the break ocurr sooner

there are many good shafts you can buy for under $75 post specifics as to swing speed, ball flight, tempo, transition, release point and we can certainly guide you a bit.

also,if one of these was not used then again the re-shaft job was improperly done and would be a potential cause of failure . Make sure it or the similar part is used in the reshaft

http://www.myostrichgolf.com/clubmak...oducts_id=1319

[quote=Jarred Perl;169702]did you hit it off the hossle or something?

I used it after it was re-shafted and it was fine, i hit it 100 or so times...

Dude, I wasn't insinuating anything. Sorry if you took it that way, was just stating where he got it from. Just so the idea of sending it to Ping would be put to rest. I'm sure everything was fine, the shaft just broke.

Happened to me about 3 weeks ago at GT. One of the salesmen let me try his driver, second swing "CRACK"! There went the shaft at the hosel. It happens sometimes.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Just reading this thread and it dawned on me that I did the re-shafting. So I thought I better jump in here as my back got up when someone jumped to conclusions and implied that it was improperly done.
    I always prep the head and shaft first ensuring a beveled edge on the hosel and there was no epoxy left in the shaft. I've done tons of re-shafting and all my work is quality as anyone who had me do work for them will testify. However that being said there is no guarantee when it comes to pulls. Anybody who builds clubs knows that. This is the first time that this has happened to any of my work. Spotless record so far.. (Got to stick up for my workmanship). Anyway I didn't pull the shaft and don't know who did as I didn't have the history. Your right that it could have been twisted when it was pulled. Who knows? But it wasn't improperly done. My 2 cents... Thanks

For you Mike I will install the shaft at no cost. Just PM me when you're ready.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    Just reading this thread and it dawned on me that I did the re-shafting. So I thought I better jump in here as my back got up when it was implied that it was improperly done.
    I always prep the head and shaft first ensuring a beveled edge on the hosel and there was no epoxy left in the shaft. I've done tons of re-shafting and all my work is quality as anyone who had me do work for them will testify. However that being said there is no guarantee when it comes to pulls. Anybody who builds clubs knows that. This is the first time that this has happened to any of my work. Spotless record so far.. (Got to stick up for my workmanship). Anyway I didn't pull the shaft and don't know who did as I didn't have the history. Your right that it could have been twisted when it was pulled. Who knows? But it wasn't improperly done. My 2 cents... Thanks

For you Mike I will install the shaft at no cost. Just PM me when you're ready.
    sorry dude, did not mean to point any fingers ....sounds like you did a fine job

but you are right shafts break all the time , I was just pointing out the possible causes in the 2 threads.....

very well could be the shaft was weakened by too much heat, this is very hard to tell and often not known till after the fact like this.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirfan View Post
    sorry dude, did not mean to point any fingers ....sounds like you did a fine job

but you are right shafts break all the time , I was just pointing out the possible causes in the 2 threads.....

very well could be the shaft was weakened by too much heat, this is very hard to tell and often not known till after the fact like this.
    lol... no big deal. kind of caught me by surprise and had a knee jerk reaction.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Lob Wedge TheNextGr8_1 is on a distinguished road
    For what its worth, I had a aldila VS proto shaft put in my 983k and it is unreal compared to the stock speeder that was in it, the ball speed is just incredible, never seen anything like it before, and the ball seems to just keep going. So if you havent chosen a shaft yet, consider this one...

Steve

Mike999
    you know, it may have been twisted, there is a hairline crack that goes about an inch up the shaft from where it broke.

Jarred and I have the issue solved though, I appreciate all of the suggestions/tips etc etc.

I really do not mean to 'out' anybody. I was kind of concerned about that when I initially posted. Jarred's a great guy, Im sure many of you know that. I feel bad about the whole thing to be honest.

.improper preparation/coning of sharp edges resulting in a shear point stressing the shaft and breakage. Here you will see a fairly clean break and there will be no epoxy residue above the shaft fracture
    Aren't all modern heads already coned?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Usually. I've had at least one that had a burr where it was coned though.

you know, it may have been twisted, there is a hairline crack that goes about an inch up the shaft from where it broke.

Jarred and I have the issue solved though, I appreciate all of the suggestions/tips etc etc.

I really do not mean to 'out' anybody. I was kind of concerned about that when I initially posted. Jarred's a great guy, Im sure many of you know that. I feel bad about the whole thing to be honest.

Pulls are pulls. It is one of the reason I am not too crazy about buying pulls unless pulled by me. Besides when buying pulls you never know how much they have been tipped and how they were prepped.
    Mahatma Gandhi

yes and no

run your fingers on the edging and you will find some pretty sharp edges and the odd burr...I still give them a go , only takes a second

and you can be comfortable with my shaft pulls Andre, and I will always state when I know) if they are tipped

and you can be comfortable with my shaft pulls Andre, and I will always state when I know) if they are tipped
    That I know Pete
    Mahatma Gandhi

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar
    just a plug for steel shafts, you want stiff cheap, hard to beat a Dynamic Gold X-100

Birdie EO26 is on a distinguished road
    Check this out...they have a basic graph for different ball flights and shaft weight... most Grafalloy are not really expensive

http://www.grafalloy.com/grafalloy/products.asp
    Don't talk to my ball !

Quote Originally Posted by rhh7 View Post
    just a plug for steel shafts, you want stiff cheap, hard to beat a Dynamic Gold X-100
    Ugh! I hate Dynamic Golds. Rifle or ProjectX, now those are sweet steel shafts.

Rifle or ProjectX, now those are sweet steel shafts
    Now made by TT
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Mike. my internet isnt letting me send you a PM for some reason, so please call me
    613-263-1745. (i will be in class from 530-7 tonight)

I have found a solution to your problem that doesnt involve me re-embursing you.

or just contact the Saint. he has something for you that solves the problem...
    Last edited by MusicMan; 03-29-2007 at 12:15 PM.

Now made by TT
    Yeah, and they better not mess them up.

Thread Information