100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar

Constant Swing Talk - Rant

Every year this happens it's so annoying.

Ever play with someone who when they aren't swinging well changes their swing on the spot? If you're playign well they will ask over and over how you do what your doing etc.

Then like clockwork THE MINUTE you try and vocalize what your doing you loose it.

I can't explain what I"m doing as I'm not an instructor. Frankly when I do "have it" I'm just happy to "have it" but they keep asking and I know they're beeing rude but it's also rude to say nothing so I end up trying to put it into words and then as you do you end up listening to what you said which is different then what you were feeling because it's almost impossible to let someone know how it feels when yous wing it.

Either way this happens every year and i't sso frustrating. I was off to best season of my life hitting 90 consistently. (For me that's great). NOW I'm left with no swing again.

This phenomenom happen to anyone else?

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dH View Post

Ever play with someone who when they aren't swinging well changes their swing on the spot? If you're playign well they will ask over and over how you do what your doing etc.

Then like clockwork THE MINUTE you try and vocalize what your doing you loose it.

I can't explain what I"m doing as I'm not an instructor. Frankly when I do "have it" I'm just happy to "have it" but they keep asking and I know they're beeing rude but it's also rude to say nothing so I end up trying to put it into words and then as you do you end up listening to what you said which is different then what you were feeling because it's almost impossible to let someone know how it feels when yous wing it.

Either way this happens every year and i't sso frustrating. I was off to best season of my life hitting 90 consistently. (For me that's great). NOW I'm left with no swing again.

Yes, it is very annoying and when some people do it, it is an intentional ploy to ruin your game to make their bruised ego feel better. Happens all the time to me but the one I remember the most is when I was playing Manitou and had parred 3 holes in a row which is amazing for me (as a 25 hcap). One of my playing partners then comments on the practice swing I made asking me if lifting up my front foot on the way back helps me. Like a moron I explain how it helps me turn blah blah blah. Then I go and hit the most awful s***k into the woods, find my ball chip it out, and then s***k it back in. I was really pissed as I was playing the round of my life. Now I just reply "dunno" when asked questions like that.

Then there are the jerks that say stuff before you are about to stroke in a birdie/par putt, "wow this one is close, you can't miss it". In the past that sort of thing would put me off a wee bit, but once I just lined up the 3 footer and stared at the guy while stroking the ball into the hole for a birdie. Should have seen the look on his face!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    As someone with an "unusual" set-up I often get comments. It usually takes a few holes and I've never had one in a un-friendly way.

I sometimes warn people before hand since they usually think I'm taking a practice swing when I set up.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    As someone with an "unusual" set-up I often get comments. It usually takes a few holes and I've never had one in a un-friendly way.

I sometimes warn people before hand since they usually think I'm taking a practice swing when I set up.
    lol I meant people who ask you to explain what you're doing. Never said it was negative but if you don't FULLY have something if you try and explain it it's normally gone.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I just say "I make sure to pronate, closing the face and turning the hands over for a consistant draw, and being sure to finish high." I usually don't have to explain what it means. I am not 100% sure myself, but that's what I am trying to do and it sounds really good.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    Yes. The best way I found is to ask them a question in return, like: "Well, I first need to know if, on your backswing, do you inhale or exhale?"

By the time they figured this out, they're thoroughly messed up. Alternativley, if they just smile back at me, they now know that I'm onto them.
    ________
    Chevrolet Corvette C2
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:33 AM.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Nah, I don't need someone to comment to me to ruin what I have going. I'm totally confident in my own abilities to ruin whatever groove my swing may be in.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Those comments are never good but on a related note I have been guilty of throwing some "advice" to people but ususally only when they are very frustrated and vocalise "what am I doing wrong" and I try not to answer that but sometimes I do, usually only when I see something really obvious, even then I should shut my yap.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Just make up the craziest thing you can think of (i.e. clench only the left buttock on at the transition between the backswing and downswing) and then say you saw this wonderful tip on the GolfChannel last night. If they press you, just say there was a bunch of other things they said but you didn't think it was important. It will lighten up your game (especially if you can do it "dead pan") and totally mess theirs up.
    Back at it.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    If they are intentionally trying to mess me up I go with the...Well I noticed that as you start your downswing your (fill in the blank) does (fill in the blank) which seems to create that fabulous (fill in the blank) in your swing. If you give them 3 or 4 things to think about while they are swinging it's more than enough for most people...

I used to offer people advice when they were stuggling if they asked for it. Then I realized that I should just try to figure my own mess out and go from there.

Of course figuring out my own mess is a full time job.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

I am reluctant to say this, because I don't want it to sound like I'm picking on you, but I seem to remember you posting an almost identical thread near the beginning of last season. You've just got to tell the person exactly what you've said here: "I can't help you, because it will ruin my swing if I actually start to think about it." That will probably get them off your back, and if it doesn't, you then have the green light to be as rude to them as you want to until they leave you alone. Just focus on your game, and you'll get your swing back.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I learned a long time ago not to hand out advice on the course, but still find myself doing it on rare occasion. If I feel I must offer some kind of support I usually stick with basic things like at least making some kind of ball contact. This isn't going to be must help for the more advanced weekend golfer in which case he's on his own lol, nothing I could say would help anyhow.

Great advice!!!

Thanks alot that is what i'm giong to do from now on. Appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    I learned a long time ago not to hand out advice on the course, but still find myself doing it on rare occasion. If I feel I must offer some kind of support I usually stick with basic things like at least making some kind of ball contact. This isn't going to be must help for the more advanced weekend golfer in which case he's on his own lol, nothing I could say would help anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I am reluctant to say this, because I don't want it to sound like I'm picking on you, but I seem to remember you posting an almost identical thread near the beginning of last season.
    I wouldn't expect anything less from you. I may have posted something like this last year it's possible; but who cares? I play lots of golf so I like talking about golf! This is a GOLF forum no? You just come here to hang out, check your latest posts do you even golf anymore or just talk about sports and put in snarky remarks like this one?

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Actually, I was trying to be genuinely helpful...guess I won't bother in future. I was not pointing out that you posted an identical thread last year in order to say that you shouldn't repeat an old thread topic. I was pointing it out because obviously you know what the issue is, and you know how to fix it, but you've fallen into the same trap again. I'm just saying that it would be easier to fix the problem than to come on here and rant about it and blame the golfers you play with rather than yourself. But I guess some people just like to take the easy way out.
    Last edited by jonf; 06-11-2007 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Had to add the requisite snarky remark.

Thread Information