CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Anyone hit the Sumo Square Driver?

I did! I hit it today in GT. I went to see my buddy who is Assistant Manager at the Edmonton South store. He bugged me to try it out. After being a firm non-believer in the club, I have to say I've changed my mind. I tried out a 9.5 shafted with their Diamana Stiff shaft. I was hitting a demo, so there was no tape on it which was nice. One thing I noticed is this club is LOUD! The other thing I noticed is that my shot dispersion was amazing. Everything seemed to go right where I wanted it to, and really good distance too.

So once again, I'll eat crow.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    I did! I hit it today in GT. I went to see my buddy who is Assistant Manager at the Edmonton South store. He bugged me to try it out. After being a firm non-believer in the club, I have to say I've changed my mind. I tried out a 9.5 shafted with their Diamana Stiff shaft. I was hitting a demo, so there was no tape on it which was nice. One thing I noticed is this club is LOUD! The other thing I noticed is that my shot dispersion was amazing. Everything seemed to go right where I wanted it to, and really good distance too.

Don't eat that crow just yet. SUMO 2's have been recalled, plus they are still butt ugly no matter how well you hit it! Could you honestly put that thing in your bag? BE HONEST NOW.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Could you honestly put that thing in your bag? BE HONEST NOW.

Oh yeah! this comming from the guy with the freaky Gorilla in his bag! lol

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar

the only way i could use it is with a blindfold and a set of ear plugs.

Don't eat that crow just yet. SUMO 2's have been recalled, plus they are still butt ugly no matter how well you hit it! Could you honestly put that thing in your bag? BE HONEST NOW.

I actually asked about the recall and this guy just came back from Nike in Texas. It was one lot that went out, not EVERY Sumo 2 is non-conforming.

I do agree though. They are pretty ugly, but I guess I can't argue with the technology. It does do what it's supposed to. I've never had that tight a dispersion with any driver so far. Whether or not I'd be able to work the ball with it or not is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    the only way i could use it is with a blindfold and a set of ear plugs.
    I wish I had ear plugs when I hit the FT-i back in the winter. That thing is louder than the Sumo in my opinion.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by gropper View Post
    Oh yeah! this coming from the guy with the freaky Gorilla in his bag! lol
    You leave my Gorilla Buddy alone! He is my friend! He'll be there for me when I have good holes and bad holes! I happen to like him a lot. Besides his eyes are not that bright, he has Red Eye from the camera!

Now back to the Sumo 2. OK on the one batch being recalled, that was not something I read in the media.

As for working the ball, well Tiger said he hit the Sumo too straight so he would not put it in his bag. So whether the ball can be worked or not is up in the air. Bottom line with the driver, Nike designed it for the masses, to enable them to hit straighter tee shots. Most golfers are not too concerned about working the ball, other than working it into the fairway
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Tiger said he hit the Sumo too straight so he would not put it in his bag.
    He might want to reconsider this after the dismal display he put on this past weekend.

You leave my Gorilla Buddy alone! He is my friend! He'll be there for me when I have good holes and bad holes! I happen to like him a lot. Besides his eyes are not that bright, he has Red Eye from the camera!

Now back to the Sumo 2. OK on the one batch being recalled, that was not something I read in the media.

As for working the ball, well Tiger said he hit the Sumo too straight so he would not put it in his bag. So whether the ball can be worked or not is up in the air. Bottom line with the driver, Nike designed it for the masses, to enable them to hit straighter tee shots. Most golfers are not too concerned about working the ball, other than working it into the fairway
    I might be inclined to try out the non-square version.

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    As for working the ball, well Tiger said he hit the Sumo too straight so he would not put it in his bag. So whether the ball can be worked or not is up in the air. Bottom line with the driver, Nike designed it for the masses, to enable them to hit straighter tee shots. Most golfers are not too concerned about working the ball, other than working it into the fairway[/FONT]
    I know that I had a hard time making it draw. It tended to stay right a bit too long.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    The other thing I noticed is that my shot dispersion was amazing. Everything seemed to go right where I wanted it to, and really good distance too.
    Were you using impact tape to indicate how consistent your contact was?

As you know any benefit that may come from a high MOI club comes when you miss it, not when you hit it flush. If you were close to the sweet spot all the time, your dispersion would be good with any club.

An advertisement in the March 16 edition of Golf World magazine has a diagram of the dispersion of a standard 460 cc driver versus a Sasquatch Sumo 460.

On a 280 yard drive the dispersion of the Nike is 40 yards while your "old" driver has a dispersion of 105 yards, as determined by using a scale diagram. This means that the Nike is 262.5% better than what you are using now. Another translation is that if you are now hitting only 5.5 fairways per round, you will hit them all with this driver.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Were you using impact tape to indicate how consistent your contact was?

As you know any benefit that may come from a high MOI club comes when you miss it, not when you hit it flush. If you were close to the sweet spot all the time, your dispersion would be good with any club.

An advertisement in the March 16 edition of Golf World magazine has a diagram of the dispersion of a standard 460 cc driver versus a Sasquatch Sumo 460.

On a 280 yard drive the dispersion of the Nike is 40 yards while your "old" driver has a dispersion of 105 yards, as determined by using a scale diagram. This means that the Nike is 262.5% better than what you are using now. Another translation is that if you are now hitting only 5.5 fairways per round, you will hit them all with this driver.
    I didn't have impact tape on the driver, but I can guarantee you that I wasn't hitting the sweet spot on every single drive, especially after barely swining a club all winter. So I guess the point is, it's a great driver for people who don't hit the sweet spot all the time, which is pretty much EVERYONE that plays golf.

It was also longer than the FT-i and the new Taylor Made SuperQuad.

Sand Wedge thuggolfer is on a distinguished road thuggolfer's Avatar
    Not only is the club loud, it is a horrible form of loud. It sounds like a tin can on the roids. I know that's not the most important thing when looking at a driver, but it is important to me.

Plus, it really doesn't fly any further than the rest, I was hitting it shorter than the Callaways and Taylormades actually.

It's built for control anyways, like people have been saying, but it's not long.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    The latest Golf Magazine compare the FT-i, Sumo2 and R7 Superquad...FT-i was the most forgiving...R7 Superquad has the greatest distance and workability. I tried the Sumo2 and felt solid on every shot. I can get over the looks and sound...will pick one up when the price comes down.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    The latest Golf Magazine compare the FT-i, Sumo2 and R7 Superquad...FT-i was the most forgiving...R7 Superquad has the greatest distance and workability. I tried the Sumo2 and felt solid on every shot. I can get over the looks and sound...will pick one up when the price comes down.
    I read that too....I might have to demo one.

I just demo the Sumo2 at the 19th Tee Driving range today...I could not slice even if I tried...that's amazing. Didn't hit it any further than my Launcher 460. The driving range guy mentioned a lot of people prefer the FT-i over the Sumo2 but I didn't have time to demo the FT-i. I will next time.

I just demo the Sumo2 at the 19th Tee Driving range today...I could not slice even if I tried...that's amazing. Didn't hit it any further than my Launcher 460.
    Which shaft did it have in it?

Which shaft did it have in it?
    The stock reg shaft. I tried the 10.5 and they had a lucky 13 too.

The stock reg shaft. I tried the 10.5 and they had a lucky 13 too.

I hit the 10.5 with the Diamana in it too. I was hitting it further than the FT-i.

Anyone who doesn't want to work the ball should pick up one of these drivers...especially the mid to high handicappers. I just hope the price comes down and I don't mind the coke bottle sound.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    yes, this "mini bus" is the real deal. With the size,I thought it would feel like swinging a broom into a head wind, but itwas nothing like that at all...light and nice. So straight, you think you're Fred Funk...

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    tried out a 9.5 shafted with their Diamana Stiff shaft
    Do you believe it is the real Diamana or Diamana made a shaft especially for NIKE?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Do you believe it is the real Diamana or Diamana made a shaft especially for NIKE?
    The stock shaft is Diamana made for Nike. It says it right on the shaft.

The stock shaft is Diamana made for Nike. It says it right on the shaft.

I know. But not sure it is the real thing i.e a real Diamana.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I know. But not sure it is the real thing i.e a real Diamana.
    Well I'm sure it's made by Diamana if it says Diamana on it.....Maybe I'm confused as to what you mean...

Well I'm sure it's made by Diamana if it says Diamana on it.....Maybe I'm confused as to what you mean...

Real Diamanas only come in .335 tips. It is most probably a shaft of a lesser quality.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Real Diamanas only come in .335 tips. It is most probably a shaft of a lesser quality.

Nope, they come in .350 directly from the factory. The shaft I picked up from big easy was a ''real'' Diamana and it was a .350 tip.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Nope, they come in .350 directly from the factory. The shaft I picked up from big easy was a ''real'' Diamana and it was a .350 tip.
    Find me anyone selling it with a .350 tip. Click on specs.

http://mitsubishirayongolf.com/product.php?cmd=dia_b
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    HOLY CRAP!! The Chief himself was wrong about something club-wise.

As for it being of "lesser quality", what exactly quality wise, would be inferior?

I'm just asking because as far as I knew, it would probably be in the shaft manufacturers best interest to have top notch shafts available stock in big name drivers..For example, the Fujikura in the Taylor Made products is good enough for our favourite whipping post(Sergio Garcia), so should that not be the same quality or grade as a shaft they would offer on its own?

You would think if they lowered their standards for shafts they have in drivers, when people buy the drivers, and feel they are inferior, they would go to a different shaft maker. Wouldn't the retail driver market be their best advertising tool?

Just my .02 cents, which after your crappy PST, amounts to nothing.

HOLY CRAP!! The Chief himself was wrong about something club-wise
    I have been wrong before but not this time. I pulled the darn thing myself. It is aknown fact that OEM's squeeeze the crap out of manufacturers to produce a shaft at a lower cost. Some has got to give.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information