100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    I have been wrong before but not this time. I pulled the darn thing myself. It is aknown fact that OEM's squeeeze the crap out of manufacturers to produce a shaft at a lower cost. Some has got to give.
    Well...I'm not saying you're wrong that the shaft is of lower quality...I just thought the shaft came in a different spec as Geoff posted.

What I'm trying to understand is what is inferior about the shaft made for Nike and the one made for clubmakers or without the Nike name on it?

I mean obviously Nike is buying a HUGE amount of shafts compared to what they would sell in shafts on their own, so maybe that offsets them selling their shafts to Nike for less money than a single shaft from GolfSmith?

I don't really know much about this, so hopefully someone can chime in who does.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Hate to disappoint you Chief, but it would not fit in my .335 Bstone head. Took it to GT and the digital tip reader said it was .350". And it wasn't a "made for Nike" shaft. And confirmed by employees at GT that Diamana will make .350" shafts for some OEMs.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Hate to disappoint you Chief, but it would not fit in my .335 Bstone head. Took it to GT and the digital tip reader said it was .350". And it wasn't a "made for Nike" shaft. And confirmed by employees at GT that Diamana will make .350" shafts for some OEMs.
    You are not disappointing me. I just wrote that they make .350 shafts for OEM and .335 for the real thing. A .350 shaft costs less to produce. I was well aware they were .350 when I pulled both of them.

See for yourself.

Q: What do specific shaft markings mean? What is the difference between an after market shaft, and those shafts designed specifically for OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) use.

A: Each shaft for the retail after-market is usually designated by our company name: "Mitsubishi Rayon" (with the 3 diamond mark), followed by a weight designation (103, 93, 83, 73, 63, 53, 43), followed by "x5ct" which designates 5 carats, followed by the shaft flex. Example: Mitsubishi Rayon 73 x5ct flex - x. OEM shafts are marked in a different way to help identify the differences in the tip section, in addition to help distinguish OEM from retail after-market shafts. As a result, the "x5ct" marking is replaced with a "g 35 t" (for shafts with a 0.350 tip OD) or "g 4" t" (for shafts with a 4 inch parallel tip section) for all OEM shafts.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

You are not disappointing me. I just wrote that they make .350 shafts for OEM and .335 for the real thing. A .350 shaft costs less to produce. I was well aware they were .350 when I pulled both of them.

See for yourself.

Q: What do specific shaft markings mean? What is the difference between an after market shaft, and those shafts designed specifically for OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) use.

A: Each shaft for the retail after-market is usually designated by our company name: "Mitsubishi Rayon" (with the 3 diamond mark), followed by a weight designation (103, 93, 83, 73, 63, 53, 43), followed by "x5ct" which designates 5 carats, followed by the shaft flex. Example: Mitsubishi Rayon 73 x5ct flex - x. OEM shafts are marked in a different way to help identify the differences in the tip section, in addition to help distinguish OEM from retail after-market shafts. As a result, the "x5ct" marking is replaced with a "g 35 t" (for shafts with a 0.350 tip OD) or "g 4" t" (for shafts with a 4 inch parallel tip section) for all OEM shafts.

Sorry Chief, I mis-read. But this was not a "made for Nike" shaft. It was a real Diamana with all the regular markings. And believe me, I couldn't understand it either. I couldn't find anywhere where it states you can get Diamanas in .350", but he guys at GT helped me out.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Well...I'm not saying you're wrong that the shaft is of lower quality...I just thought the shaft came in a different spec as Geoff posted.

What I'm trying to understand is what is inferior about the shaft made for Nike and the one made for clubmakers or without the Nike name on it?

I mean obviously Nike is buying a HUGE amount of shafts compared to what they would sell in shafts on their own, so maybe that offsets them selling their shafts to Nike for less money than a single shaft from GolfSmith?

I don't really know much about this, so hopefully someone can chime in who does.
    If you ever get on your hands on Tom Wishon's book search for the perfect club read page 116 through 119. You will find all your answers.
    Mahatma Gandhi

So then the only difference in shaft construction between one made for OEM or aftermarket is the tip diametre? If the one Geoff had that wasn't out of an OEM, ie' made for OEM, and had all the "real" markings on it, then what is the difference in that one compared to one with a .335" diametre?

Throw me a bone here...

If you ever get on your hands on Tom Wishon's book search for the perfect club read page 116 through 119. You will find all your answers.
    I don't have the book...Could you just sum it up for me here?

Sorry Chief, I mis-read. But this was not a "made for Nike" shaft. It was a real Diamana with all the regular markings. And believe me, I couldn't understand it either. I couldn't find anywhere where it states you can get Diamanas in .350", but he guys at GT helped me out.

The .335 has 3 inches of parallel tip section while the OEM has 4 inches.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I don't have the book...Could you just sum it up for me here?

I should be doing something else. Resend me your email. I will scan it and send it to you.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I should be doing something else. Resend me your email. I will scan it and send it to you.
    Thanks Chief! I appreciate it. I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but I'm clearly in the dark when it comes to comparing those things.

I sent it to you.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I sent it to you.
    Perfect. I'll have a look at it now.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I hit the Sumo Square last night at GT just for kicks and it's awful! I actually hit it fairly well but the sound and the look at address is just to much to handle. Toaster on a stick with a sound that will make everyone turn their heads. I also tried the Cally FT-i and it felt pretty good and was very forgiving as well, but again the looks is just too much to get over IMO. Also noticed that they didn't have any Titleist drivers in stock, Ottawa golfers must have good taste!

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    I have a Sumo2 due to arrive this week from sunny California. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Lob Wedge igreen is on a distinguished road

sumo2

so how did it go? did you like it? how does it perform?

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    Lets put it this way... the club is sold already.

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    I have one and am hitting alot of fairways. I only missed one all day yesterday. I will say that aside from how bad it looks and sounds on good swing it's long but when its an off centre hit it seems to be short and straight.

Quote Originally Posted by psniddy View Post
    I have one and am hitting alot of fairways. I only missed one all day yesterday. I will say that aside from how bad it looks and sounds on good swing it's long but when its an off centre hit it seems to be short and straight.
    Are you finding that your Sumo2 sets up REALLY closed?

I fight a hook as my miss, and this club was a horror story for me.

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    I does set up very closed. It's working for me right now but I have a Titleist D2 waiting as a back up.

So far in the OEM world the NIKE has the highest MOI at 5300. Most others are in the 4900 range while the USGA's limits are 5900.
    Mahatma Gandhi

There is one out there that is higher than the Sumo SQ:

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/produc...il.asp?pID=165

So are the Burner TP numbers lower? Just wondering because I see O'Hair has one in play and I'm sure it must be under the USGA limit.

You're right according to their website(5800)Tthe article I read was in the GS magzine and did not mention the TM most probably because it is not a square shape (at least it does not look like one). The MOI of any club can be increased by adding weight to the head
    Mahatma Gandhi

So are the Burner TP numbers lower? Just wondering because I see O'Hair has one in play and I'm sure it must be under the USGA limit.
    They have it at the same number
    http://www.taylormadegolf.com/produc...il.asp?pID=166
    Mahatma Gandhi

WOW!

So do you think that's the retail version or is O'Hair using a non-conforming driver on Tour?

WOW!

So do you think that's the retail version or is O'Hair using a non-conforming driver on Tour?
    If his is at 5800 he is still within the rules.Anything over 5900 is illegal.
    Mahatma Gandhi

If his is at 5800 he is still within the rules.Anything over 5900 is illegal.
    I think I misread the specs. I read that it exceeded the USGA regulations.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    I just received mine. Can't wait to get this one to the course...and to hear some stupid comments from my playing partners!!! I just find the stock shaft to be a bit whippy but I really like the feel of the clubhead...I would never have thought to say that of probably the ugliest driver on the market!

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    Big, not probably...itès by far the ugliest driver on the market LOL.

By the way I found out why my speed doesnèt get any air unless you swing it like Bonds swings a bat. I needed to start using Steroids! Works great now LOL Just kidding, the kick is way way to high. So unless I get a post about it Ièll leave it in the closet this season and might change the shaft next year. Got my new Burner yesterday....this is the bomb!
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

Thread Information