CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brokerage fees?

3 Wood fairway2k is on a distinguished road

Brokerage fees?

Wondering if any one has run into this and how do you get around it. Bought a driver on ebay. With shipping cost it cost me about 145 CDN. I now have to pay some COD of 58 bucks! Is this normal? More than 30%! What happened to free trade?

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    They nail you with 14% sales tax + a brokerage fee. The only way around it is to have things marked as 'Gift' on the package. Some sellers will do this for you, most wont. Which is understandable because its considered fraud.

I’ve found that USPS is the cheapest way to get things across the boarder. UPS will take you to the cleaners.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Fees

And USP it was. Not to worry ...have a line on a little general store just across the border run by a nice little old lady who will allow you to open a general delivery box for a bout $5 a month and she will hold it for you. Now driving it yourself across the border and chatting with customs..not sure about that.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

UPS to Canada and you get hammered.

Either have it shipped USPS to Canada or get it shipped to the UPS store in Ogdensburg and make the quick trip across to pick it up. They'll charge you $5US holding fee. Nice thing about the UPS store is you can have it shipped there by any carrier.. FedEx, USPS, whatever.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

do you have to pay something when you cross back over?

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    Yes, you have to declare it at the border. You pay duty and atleast GST when you cross. It's still much cheaper than paying the brokerage because I think it is based off the actual cost of the item.

I bought poker chips from ebay and they cost me 75$, total bill on my credit card shipping/brokerage/item was $176. Needless to say I was pissed.

But yes, you can go to Ogdensburg and pick stuff up, as long as you declare it you're not doing anything wrong. Odd how with gas the price it is, you're still 20-25$ ahead in most cases.

Fally
    aka Scott

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    I've also had the experience where the seller declared full retail instead of what I bought at auction. Duty came to 187% of auction price. Just submited their form, along with a copy of the auction, waited a couple of weeks and they refunded the difference.

I could be wrong here, but if the item was originally made in America, and it comes to Canada, then there should be no duty. GST should still apply on anything over $20. I haven't had any problems with Fed Ex or Purolator for clubs from America. Paid GST and was done. UPS on the other hand...don't get me started. I specifically ask anyone shipping from the States to send via USPS but be prepared to wait an extra week at least before stuff arrives.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    No duty for most golf clubs as they are assembled in the US.

Need a Caddy golfinteg is on a distinguished road golfinteg's Avatar

Brokerage fees

To preclude paying 'excess' brokerage fees, I just bid on those that are USPS shipped (unless it is an urgent item). Tracking and delivery is not much of a hassle. If I'm not in I just pick it up at the nearest postal outlet later.

P.S. That's what I love about this forum. The articles posted are most of the time practical. See LeftyLucas tips on EBAY transaction

Thread Information