100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar

What kind of eyewear do you use?

I just bought a pair of Oakley Half Jacket with G3o lenses for use on the links. I was just wondering what (if anything) did anyone else use?

BTW, anyone else with these sunglasses? What are they like as far as contrast on the course?
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I have had a pair of Oakley M Frame Pro's since 2000.. I love em. Where em every round (when its not raining)..

I plan on replacing the lens this spring..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Arnette Stance. Fantastic and not overpriced like Oakley's.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I've tried sunglasses before, but they just don't work for me when I'm golfing.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I have been wearing RYDERS for the past 5 years. I buy the pair that have the interchangable lenses. A dark lense for bright days, an orange tint for dull days (makes things stand out better) and clear lenses which I never use.

I found I had to wear sun glasses when golfing due to three reasons.

#1 I have already had a small piece of skin cancer removed from the side of my nose, close to my right eye.. So I wear the glasses to help protect that area. Recommended by the expert in the field of skin problems.

#2 The course I play is wide open and quite often windy. I found my eyes would water all the time with the wind blowing in them. Not a problem with the glasses on.

#3 I just like wearing them!

FGO has the glasses sun glasses that Billy Andraid wears and endorses. PEAK VISION I tried a pair on one day and they are sweet. They are supposed to make the undulations on the greens stand out better.

I do not however like the racoon look I get from wearing the sunglasses. But what can you do?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I never spend more than 25 bucks for sunglasses as they never seem to last more than a couple of months. My kids break at least 2 pairs a year on me
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Does anyone here wear prescription sunglasses on the course? I went looking for a pair yesterday and they did not have a very good selection of glasses at all.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    Does anyone here wear prescription sunglasses on the course? I went looking for a pair yesterday and they did not have a very good selection of glasses at all.
    Selection is very dependent on your prescription. Mine is strong at over 8.....so I either wear prescription eyeglasses that are deeply tinted (my driving glasses) or my regular glasses with the magnetic shades (lightly tinted). I think that some of the brand name sunglasses can probably handle a prescription that is a 2 or possibly a 3.

Dave

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    had a set of Oakley M-Frames until my playing partner sat on them and cracked the frame. now I'm just using my Oakley A-Wire 2.0 Spring hinge's.

there is only one brand of shade that i wear. whether it be ski goggles or just everyday shades, they are the best IMO

Sand Wedge marmageddon is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    I just bought a pair of Oakley Half Jacket with G3o lenses for use on the links. I was just wondering what (if anything) did anyone else use?

BTW, anyone else with these sunglasses? What are they like as far as contrast on the course?
    I have the same pair. I wear them throughout the round, but when it's time to swing, I always put them up onto the hat. It's not the glasses, I just don't like swinging while wearing sunglasses for whatever reason.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I bought a sweet pair of Oakley's in Florida, LOVE THEM!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Personally I am a REVO guy. And I have a really nice pair of them. But the pair I have is not sporty and I really don't fancy losing it on a course ( damned expensive).

Last year I lost a pair of Serengeti's at Falcon Ridge and I was lookinf got something sporty which won't fall off my face, so I got these, which are supposedly equipped with golf specific G30 lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    had a set of Oakley M-Frames until my playing partner sat on them and cracked the frame. now I'm just using my Oakley A-Wire 2.0 Spring hinge's.

there is only one brand of shade that i wear. whether it be ski goggles or just everyday shades, they are the best IMO

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Maui Jim's for me. The warden got them for me 4 years ago and I still have them and love them ! Sport model. Always had trouble with depth perception and glasses. These don't give me that problem.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Bollé here. I think Colby wears Bollé too, if I'm not mistaken.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I have Maui Jim's too. Rarely wear them though. Feel better without.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I have a pair of Adidas with inter-changeable lenses. It's great when you have over cast days and want to brighten it up a bit. I change to the yellow lense..Love it!
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

5 Wood amac is on a distinguished road
    I have a pair of Ray Ban prescription sunglasses. They are not quite as stylish as the models available in non-prescription, but they work fine.

Pitching Wedge Golftime is on a distinguished road
    I wear regular bi-focals and bought a pair of sunglasses that only work for distances. They work great for driving a car but I cannot golf with them. I get nauseous when trying to putt or do anything else up close so I am forced to wear regular glassess. There is a small benefit to them in addition to being able to see. When I setup for a shot if I can see the ball clearly then I know that my head has dropped too low. If the ball is a little fuzzy then my head is high enough to allow for a full shoulder turn.
    When it is time to replace the sunglasses I think I will try the bifocals in them.
    Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

To those of you who wear the sunglasses while playing...Do you not find it screws around with your depth perception when you wear them?

I've heard many Tour players say they don't wear sunglasses on Tour because of this issue, and when I tried myself, I noticed the same problem.

Oakley claims that some of their lenses are corrected for any depth perception, such that there are no more problems. Their G30 Golf lense is one of those.

Gimmick? I don't know, but I am going to give it a try.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    never had a problem with my Oakleys. i take em off occasioanly during the round cuz otherwise i end up with the David Duval sunglass outline

http://oakley.com/innovation/opticalsuperiority/

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Oakley claims that some of their lenses are corrected for any depth perception, such that there are no more problems. Their G30 Golf lense is one of those.

Gimmick? I don't know, but I am going to give it a try.
    Maybe they work...I guess you won't know until you try them.

I know if they do work, I'm sure a lot of guys will be picking them up.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    never had any problems with depth perception. I can play with or without the glasses and don't find things affect me either way. I can see how some people couldn't play with them on. Not much different than any glasses, it just takes some getting used to.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I have been playing with me Oakley M Frames for years no problems here with depth perception. When the sun is out I can't play without them now.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I do not seem to have a problem with depth reception when wearing my Ryders. But hey maybe I do, no wonder I am coming up a few yards short on those approach shots
    But I really do not notice any difference if I leave my shades on or take them off when it comes to distances.
    For me, wearing those sun glasses is all about protecting my eyes from damage from UV Rays and also the skin around my eyes from skin cancer. You only get one set of peepers during your life time and they do not come with a full warranty. Look after them when you can.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    I have a pair of Ray Ban prescription sunglasses. They are not quite as stylish as the models available in non-prescription, but they work fine.

Where did you get them from?
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    I have been playing with me Oakley M Frames for years no problems here with depth perception. When the sun is out I can't play without them now.
    Well maybe you do. It's a tell tale sign people might have had issues if Oakley is advertising a set of lenses that won't affect depth perception and made specifically for golf. Just a thought..

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I used to sell Oakley's at Sports Experts, and went to their product knowledge seminars. Easy way to see what they mean, grab a cheap pair and hold them a couple of inches from your face and move them down and back in to your line of vision over and over, you'll notice that what you see through the glasses isn't where it really is. Then do the same with Oakleys, and there is zero change. Hope I'm explaining it well. If not, ask me at the forum golf day, I'll show you. Oakley glasses are very, very, very good quality with a lot of R&D involved.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

5 Wood amac is on a distinguished road
    Where did you get them from?
    I belive that I got them at LensCrafters. Although (don't laugh) it wouldn't hurt to try Costco first as their prices are really good.

Thread Information