CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road

Natural Golf and trajectory

Ok, I am a natural golfer (palm hammer single axis to be precise!) because that is what I was taught when i took the lessons and I believe in the theory.... (now putting it into practice is something else)

One thing I've noticed (besides pushing the ball to the left at the range the other day) is a problem that's plauged me last year and looks like it's still here. This is only my second summer of golfing too........ Anyway, the trajectory of my shots seems lower than most others.

My 9 iron doesn't have that high curve and straight down drop that I see most other people pull off. Also, my 3 wood off the tee appears to go about 175, but with a low trajectory. I bet you if I could get a nicer trajectory, i would add more distance......

Is there any other NG'er that could give me a tip as to why my shots are so low? AM I not releasuing my wrists enough on impact? Any tips?????

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road

Natural Golfer

Low trajectory!

I won't call myself a 100%"natural golfer" but i can tell you i studied all about Moe Norman. I applied a few from his techniques including ten fingers grip, wide stance, putting the clubface a foot or more behind the ball at address...i never took a lesson though but i have Moe's bio book and Moe's tape. My ball flight is also lower than most but i can hit it high if i have to. Moe's ball position is off the left heel for every club in the bag. As we all know that's how you hit it high. Next time out, try to hit from that position and let me know whether it works. Here is the catch...by doing that you have to work on your footwork(specially your back knee). Another way to hit it high is to increase your swing speed. I prefer a low ball flight but land softly. That's what makes Moe so good. They said he can stop a ball on a highway!

Good Luck!

Thom

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road

Causes of a Lower Ball Flight

Gangrel,

I am an 8 year NG'er and while I can only guess as to why the ball if flying lower for you, without actually seeing you swing, here are a couple of thoughts.

The NG is a "flatter" swing than the average conventional swing. Moe wanted his hands to be beside his ear at the top, not way over his head, and as a result the club head comes into the ball on a shallower arc and the result is a lower shot.

Any shot will fly lower if there is a disproportionate amount of weight on the forward foot at impact, regardless of the ball position. NG teaches an arm generated body motion so if there is too much forward slide in your swing the ball will fly lower. Maintaining your head over the back knee at impact will solve that problem.

As TP said, if the ball position is too far back the ball may fly lower.

When I changed to NG 8 years ago, I lengthened all of my clubs by the amount that my bottom hand was farther down the shaft with my palm grip compared to my conventional grip. For me that was 2". If this is not done then you are effectively playing with shorter clubs because the effective length of your club is from the club head to your right wrist hinge, not the butt of the club. Playing with longer clubs causes the ball to fly higher. If you are playing NG with normal length clubs, the ball will fly lower.

Depending on the material in your iron heads, you may be able to have the lofts increased which will obviously increase the trajectory.

Lastly, you mentioned you were "pushing the ball to the left." If you are right handed then you are PULLING the ball to the left and a pull usually flies lower than a push. If the lies of your irons are too upright the ball will fly left, even on a perfect swing.

Thread Information