CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Which ones should I take?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nike One Black

5 9.26%
  • Nike One Platinum

2 3.70%
  • Nike Super Far

2 3.70%
  • Titleist Pro-V1

17 31.48%
  • Titleist DT Solo

11 20.37%
  • Other

17 31.48%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Kind?

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar

Which Kind?

I'm currently getting my bag ready for a trip to West Virginia in April (ya its 5 weeks away, but I'm bored and excited for the trip).

I'm playing 4 rounds in 3 days. 2 rounds will be played on a standard public course (looks to be on par with greensmere or cedarhill..etc) the other 2 rounds will be played on 4.5 star palmer designed courses.

SO the reason for this post.. I'm trying to pick a dozen balls to take with me. I have all my balls laid out on the floor and im trying to pick and I thought I would pose the question to the people as to which ball they would take with them.

Balls follow:

Nike One Black
    Nike One Platinum
    Titleist Pro-v1
    Nike Super Far
    Titleist DT solo

what to do, what to do!?
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    A little too vague of a question buddy.

What type of player are: high spin, run up approach shots, hit and stick?

What conditions are the courses you going to play in?

You might want to email then once it gets closer. Because if the course is wet there won't be much run so you could choose a less spinning ball. But if the course has dried up and the greens are hard you'll want a ball with more bite to help hold the greens.

So you can see what I mean by its a little too vague of a question.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I agree Geoff.. I prefer to play with the Nike Ones or the Pro-v1s so i can stop the ball better on the greens.. but then again this is april golf.. so Im trying to figure out if i should take balls that preform better in the cold
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    TaylorMade TP Red is the best ball I have ever hit for me.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Hot or cold, windy or calm, wet or dry……Pro-V1 all the way baby….

Golf is too hard to play anything else then Pro-V1s.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Any opinions from someone who isnt a Titeilist sales rep!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Hot or cold, windy or calm, wet or dry……Pro-V1 all the way baby….

Golf is too hard to play anything else then Pro-V1s.

Mike
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post

Honestly, I have tried Nike, Callaway, Mazfli…nothing come close to ProVs. they are sweet off the club, spin just about right and putt true. Can ask for anything more.

The only down side it that they are very expensive and one ball rarely last one round especially if you hit lots wedges coming in.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I like ProV's but have no problems playing Maxfli Rev Tours, Black Max's, Strata Tour Ace, and TM TP Red. I'll never buy a box of ProV's new though - too expensive for little gain over the others (which I've been able to get great deals on - except the TM's).
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    the Nike Super far is like the person that never drinks but attends AA meetings. slightly out of place on that list... the old Pro Vs rule. havent tried the new ones yet

bbad
    That's quite the assortment of balls. Not sure why you have DT Solo and Pro V1's but hey...maybe you 'borrowed' them from a buddy.

I'll join the others and say the Pro V's. Haven't had much experience with the others.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I didn't know they made more then one brand of ball. Weird...................

6 votes for 'Other' hmph.. maybe I should have asked for people to specify what they meant by other... I wonder what they'd give me if I walked into Golftown and asked for a dozen other balls.
    Volik Crystal?
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar
    I use 80 compression women's golf balls, whichever ones I pick up cheapest.

Caddy Thunder is on a distinguished road
    This time of year, anything works. No point using a great ball where they won't respond the way you expect them too. Greens are generally soft this time of year so alot of spin is not needed like Geoff said. Just grab a dozen Super fars and enjoy your trip.
    THUNDER

5 Iron breaks80 is on a distinguished road breaks80's Avatar
    I'm with rhh7. For cooler weather days in early spring and late fall, the low compression balls still give me good distance (Precept MC Lady or DT Solo). Warmer days might find me playing NXT Tour.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    See "other" is way ahead---I think what we are saying--go ahead- have a good time- see if we care
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

5 Iron semperfi45 is on a distinguished road semperfi45's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by breaks80 View Post
    I'm with rhh7. For cooler weather days in early spring and late fall, the low compression balls still give me good distance (Precept MC Lady or DT Solo). Warmer days might find me playing NXT Tour.
    Do you find a difference between the NXT and NXT Tour, if so what are your findings?
    Semper fi,
    [URL="http://www.swingsyncgolf.ca"]www.swingsyncgolf.ca[/URL]

5 Iron semperfi45 is on a distinguished road semperfi45's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post
    They are made in North America, Fairhaven, MA in the U.S.A. I'm sure that's one reason they are more expensive.
    Semper fi,
    [URL="http://www.swingsyncgolf.ca"]www.swingsyncgolf.ca[/URL]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    TITLEIST NXT TOURS
    Or
    BRIDGESTONE TOUR B330 (Because I got some for free )

A few years ago I played all summer with Dunlop Loco's @$16/18. I had not problems or issues with those balls either. Recorded a Hole In One while using a Loco.

I basically stick with NXT's now.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Well, at the risk of being laughed off of the Forum, I use "distance" Top Flight. My first year at golf school the pro told me with my swing speed, I needed a two piece ball with the word distance on the package. I get 24 Top Flight at Costco for $19.99. I play them consistently and only use new ones. I know what they will do for me. Once I get to the point of playing a ball a round, then I'll try and upgrade to a ball that suites my game. If I could find a ball that stops on a dime (pitches), rolls true (chips) and flies straight with lots of roll, put me down for a gross.

Mike999
    I may be a total golf noobie, but I think any ball that inspires confidence is the best ball. I cannot tell the difference between a 50 dollar/doz ball and a 10 dollar/doz ball, BUT.

When I was playing at champlain a couple weeks ago I just had a mixmash of balls in my bag. I forgot to check what I was bringing with me before heading out. I started with a Pinnacle gold ball (new), and I didnt lose it until the 11th hole. I didnt think much of it at the time, but I reached into my bag and grabbed a Callaway Warbird ball, chipped onto the green, and finished the hole.

On the next tee, I took out my r7 3-wood for the tee, and ripped it right into the bushes a solid 15 yards ahead and to the left.

Mulligan.

I took out another Warbird, now noticing it isnt the same as the pinnacle. I did the exact same thing...right into the bushes.

ANOTHER warbird, ANOTHER mulligan. (hey, it was march 29th, we dont care, we just played). Took the 4 iron off the tee, 5 on the fairway, chip up, 3 put...disastrous hole.

Next hole I scoured my little ball pocket and found another pinnacle gold.

Off the tee, dead straight.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I prefer round, white ones.............

But my bag is full of NXTs

Thanks so much for all your helpful advice Scott

I actually took the DT solos on my trip...and now that its warmer out i've switched the nike Ones.....aslo I found a Callaway warbird at meadows the other weekend and ive actually been really impressed by its length off the driver and it actually feels pretty good around the greens too...
    too bad it didnt float on #2 Manderley Central
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    C'mon now, you can't have everything in a ball now.....
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I only realy notice if I don't like a ball, like the noodles or the sleeve of locos I won at a charity event, basically balls I can't spin. Those Warbirds aren't bad at all. I can't remember ever having a complaint about them even though I don't go out of my way to buy them.

I would have taken a box of tf z balatas the local crappy tire has on for $12 half the time. At that price nothing touches them.

Smile Value for $

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    I would have taken a box of tf z balatas the local crappy tire has on for $12 half the time. At that price nothing touches them.
    How about the TF XL Ultimate distance/feel balls. Jumbo package of 24 at Costco for $19.99. Also selling Callaway CB2's, 24 for $39.99. Don't know how these compare to quality of other TF balls but worth a try.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Can anyone tell me where I can buy batteries for my twilight ball?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Sand Wedge doublepar is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    How about the TF XL Ultimate distance/feel balls. Jumbo package of 24 at Costco for $19.99. Also selling Callaway CB2's, 24 for $39.99. Don't know how these compare to quality of other TF balls but worth a try.
    I've bought both 24-packs from Costco and IMHO neither are that great of a deal. I found with the Top Flites I was picking curly white strands off of the ball after every shot with an iron or wedge. They were getting flat spots pretty quick, which I found surprising for a distance ball. The Callaways are a much better ball, but at almost $2/ball there are better options. Just take a look at the clearance section of GolfTown's website - Nike Ignites are about the same price as the Callaways, but they're a 3-piece ball similar in performance to the NXT Tour. If you just want a cheap 2-piece distance ball buy some Precept Laddie X at $27/24 balls. Better yet, get Maxfli Fire balls for just a few cents over $1/ball - they're a great option at that price. If you want to stick with Top Flite they are putting out some really good balls these days at decent prices - the D2 Feel balls are quite nice for the price. If you're up to paying $20/dozen (like the Callaways) you can get the TF Gamer ball which has received lots of really positive reviews. The golf ball market is great these days if you're not worried about playing tour-grade balls.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I try and play the same type all the time(DT solo)but when the warm weather gets here i pick up some used ProV's and have some fun.I find that by playing the same type of ball and not a certain make,i know what its going to do.But ProV,s are better suited to my ball flight to make them stick on greens.Have tried a lot of high perf. balls but you got to give it to Titleist for all around durable and stable ball.

I have switched to the D2 Distance. Do seem to be getting more distance than the Top Flight XL series. When I first started to use them I was getting a fair bit more roll on the green. The XL used to hit and stick but I was getting 20+ feet of roll with the D2 so I had to make some adjustments. This year appears that my hit and stick is back (probably my spin rate, right?). The directional lines are a nice plus also and the price is right at just a little over $1/ball.

Thread Information