CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar

Why does everyone want a draw?

ok, I know why, 'cause it's not a slice...still

Many of thegreatest golfers of all time moved the ball left to right, Jack, I think Tiger favours a fade, can't think of any others off hand but I wouldn't be surprised to find out 90% of the top guns were fade over draw, oh yeah there's always Lee lol.

Personally I had more of a draw most of my life up until the last two years during which I've started to...er..."fade" lol, the ball (we won't talk about the driver). I much prefer the ball flight and have to agree that with the exception of maybe the big club, a fade is a lot more predictable than a draw, especially mid to long irons which can really be a nightmare when you start hooking the ball uncontrollably.

The only afvantage I can see for a draw biased swing is that swing problems like getting too far ahead of it can be more condusive to solid contact. That doesn't help when the ball is 35 yards into the left woods.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Like you said most hackers slice, so a draw is like a holy grail. They equate a draw with power, but in reality solid contact is a prerequesite to any power. We all know how weak the OTT out to in slices are. My natural shot is a slight draw, which is fine. But I need to develop a reliable fade, i.e., aim left and open the clubface slighty and swing normally. Like they say, make the shot turn away from trouble, and there are times where a draw is just asking for trouble.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    a cut will promote more spin. hence why its easier to ballon a cut than it is a draw. i think... i went from playing a draw to having a nice tight low cut. and i dont have any problems with it. though i still hit a draw with the big stick and long irons sometimes, nothing un managable

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    To hit a PURE DRAW a golfer delays the straightening of the leverage angles until later in the downswing and so the club head speed tends to be a little higher. Because the draw is usually lower than a fade, for the same golfer, the ball will run farther than a fade on landing, if the fairways are firmer. When playing into a wind, the draw flight will bore into it a lot better and the ball will be less affected by a crosswind.

Because the fade's trajectory is higher, the ball will stop faster on landing and this is advantageous when hitting into the greens. The Tour professionals who play fades already hit the ball a long way, so accuracy for them is paramount and the fade will give it to them. However, if the fade or draw is very small, both are very effective. It's the extremes, hooks and slices, that are problematic.

Lee Trevino once said, "You can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen," and then he changed from a fader to a hooker for awhile, to get more distance.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Interesting. I fade the ball, hit it very high, and stop it on a dime with pretty much every club in the bag, including the driver . I had never realized the correlation between a fade and a high ball flight. I don't plan on trying to change it, but its nice to know one of the possible causes for my backspin drives (yes...sometimes the ball digs in and hops back a foot).

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Interesting. I fade the ball, hit it very high, and stop it on a dime with pretty much every club in the bag, including the driver . I had never realized the correlation between a fade and a high ball flight. I don't plan on trying to change it, but its nice to know one of the possible causes for my backspin drives (yes...sometimes the ball digs in and hops back a foot).
    I had a similar problem with my driver ... went to a lower loft and it did wonders ... I actually get roll now.
    Back at it.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    My loft can't get any lower....I'm already at an 8. But it was actually improving after I made that change

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    My loft can't get any lower....I'm already at an 8. But it was actually improving after I made that change
    SMT sells 5*, 6* and 7* drivers.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    SMT sells 5*, 6* and 7* drivers.
    And or extra tip trimming
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Opps ... sorry about the hijack
    Back at it.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I've accepted my fade and straight shots. I couldn't draw the ball if my life depended on it. But when I try to hit one, boy do I slice it.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    The only place I draw is on the walls with my 52 color crayolas.... and does it ever piss Bugsy off!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Opps ... I'm sorry about the hijack too
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Why does everyone want a draw?
    Boxers don't
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post

Boxers don't
    Pulling off the zingers even when it's past your bedtime.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    I went from having a slice, to a fade, to a straight ball, to a draw that sometimes gets a little hooky.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    interesting article in this months golf digest about Lorena Ochoa who simply aims right or left of the target and then opens or closes the face slightly in order to hit the draw or fade.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    I went from having a slice, to a fade, to a straight ball, to a draw that sometimes gets a little hooky.
    Is that what they call the "Theory of Evolution?"

8 Iron Fozz is on a distinguished road Fozz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    interesting article in this months golf digest about Lorena Ochoa who simply aims right or left of the target and then opens or closes the face slightly in order to hit the draw or fade.
    I've seen Anika and maybe another 12 PGA tour players give the exact same tip. Basically, aim your body alignment to where you want the ball to start and aim your club face where you want the ball to land. It works too... Same swing, 3 different trajectories. adjust for distance however, because the draw will go further than the straight shot, which will go further than the fade (all because of loft changes)

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    it actually works for me (the draw is easier than the fade) and is way less complicated than trying to manipulate my swing.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

bbad
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
    I've seen Anika and maybe another 12 PGA tour players give the exact same tip. Basically, aim your body alignment to where you want the ball to start and aim your club face where you want the ball to land. It works too... Same swing, 3 different trajectories. adjust for distance however, because the draw will go further than the straight shot, which will go further than the fade (all because of loft changes)
    And I always thought LOFT was for a lack of something else....

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I know the common thinking is the draw goes farther with the driver, and I understand why. Funny thing is I feel I can haul off a get behind a fade more than a draw., the openish swing path allows me more leverage and room to manoover. If I really want to kill it I usually just open everything up, pick a target on the left side and let it drift back ito play (well that's the plan anyhow lol).

bbad
    I'm not even sure if the distance is the real reason. I think there is a persona that the better players seem to hit a draw (urban myth?) and that if they can hit a draw then people will perceive them as being better players.

Just my observations. I hit a draw and honestly, would love to trade it for a fade. I'm drawn to the duck pond (duck hooks) more than I am willing to remember. Somedays I can hit the fade (or power fade when my game just goes south on me).

Ask Colby how my first sleeve of hx tours were. I hit them 3 times..once per ball. Best $15 I ever spent.

Gap Wedge john dunigan is on a distinguished road
    Everyone doesn't want to hit a draw, but I think everyone should learn how to hit one just as soon as they can create solid impact conditions. Why? Its all about how flush you move the club head through the ball to compress it. I call it the law of the circle. The club is designed to swing in an arc that is tangent to the target line, hence approach the ball from the inside. Although a high percentage of tour players cut it, most of them do it from the inside and make sure the club face is slightly open to the path creating a little fade. Most golfers who are not on tour hit a slice with a path that cuts across the target line from outside in. This has two problems, 1 much more sidespin than you want = bigger curves and 2 an angle of attack that is overly downward creating too much backspin and not enough compression.

Just so you know, you can make it go left with outside in just as easily as inside out and the reverse, you just change your aim and control the club face relative to the path...

Hope that helps,

John Dunigan

A lot of talk about inside out and outside in swing path but it seems to me that the hips and the hands play a major role in either a fade or a draw. Early hips create a fade while delayed hips create a draw. End of rant.
    Mahatma Gandhi

A lot of talk about inside out and outside in swing path but it seems to me that the hips and the hands play a major role in either a fade or a draw. Early hips create a fade while delayed hips create a draw. End of rant.
    Ooooo, if I start thinking about using my hands and hips to control the ball flight like that, I will end up going through a lot of balls in a round!

Also called Timing
    Mahatma Gandhi

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I think most people realize that it's best to hit a fade or a draw to give you more fairway to hit while aiming at either the left side of the fairway with a fade or the right side with a draw. A draw gives you more distance off of the tee so it gets you closer to the hole with your second shot with a greater chance to get on the green in regulation. That's it in a nut shell. When you get better or shall I say longer off of the tee that extra yardage isn't as important as placing the ball where you want it and that's easier with a fade because of the extra back spin and higher trajectory, it just doesn't move much after hitting the ground even with a drive, thus more control. Just my thoughts.

Also called Timing
    That's in short supply in my world! I've got to minimize the moving parts. As the years pass by the hands are less and less able to bail me out.

bbad
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa View Post
    That's in short supply in my world! I've got to minimize the moving parts. As the years pass by the hands are less and less able to bail me out.
    Say it ain't so!!! I thought things get better with age...lol

Thread Information