CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar

Practice Facility or 9 hole course

Just wanted to solicit some thoughts on whether I would be better off to get a membership at a practice facility or a 9 hole course? I work beside the Marshes and the cost is the same for both.

Mike

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    What is the cost Mike?
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

bbad
    I've always found that anybody can swing like the pro's on the practice tee, but the best practice comes from actually playing. See what you can do under pressure. On teh range, what pressure do you have. Hitting the picker?

IMHO.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    $499 + GST.

It's an interesting question.

If all you do at the range is pound balls, then a 9-hole membership might be a better choice. But realize that since Marchwood is a par-3 you are going to hit only irons, maybe some chips, and putting. Depending on your skill, you'll only make about 18 full strokes.

If you go to a range and actually PRACTICE, by hitting different clubs, working on mechanics, etc. then a range membership will probably be better.

Hybrid Timothy.Reeve is on a distinguished road

Which do you prefer?

For me, I would much rather play a round than head to the range. That would make the course a better value, since I would be out there more often. Although I can agree that the range will give you a better chance to improve technically, it only works if you do. I guess the other factor is how often you can get onto the course too.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I thought of one more thing. Time factor.

With a range membership you can go out during lunch and work on something for 30-45 minutes probably multiple times a week.

Playing 9 holes you'll need 90 minutes or more so you'll do that less often depending on the family situation.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I thought of one more thing. Time factor.

With a range membership you can go out during lunch and work on something for 30-45 minutes probably multiple times a week.

Playing 9 holes you'll need 90 minutes or more so you'll do that less often depending on the family situation.
    Great point!! Range membership allows you the time flexibility ie. lunch or right after work. As jvincent said do not just go to the range and pound balls. Set up a strict routine. Work on your mechanics, but also simulate a round of holes. Hit driver towards one of the 250-300 yard greens. Then pull out iron and make approach shot towards closer green. Or simulate par 5 Hit driver, fairway wood, iron or wedge.

As my golf instructor stresses make sure you spend more time working around the chipping green, bunkers and of course allow "lots" of time for the putting green.

The advantage of having a course membership and practice range membership is I can work on the above mentioned and then I will go out late on a Friday or Monday on the course and play 3 balls with different clubs on the front nine holes.

If you do have to chose between the short Par 3 course and range, I would agree with jvincent that the range will improve your game if you practice correctly. Always a good idea to mix in a few lessons with the CPGA club Pros and let them set up a practice program for you. However, as others have said you do have to take this out on the course. Check out some of the attractive off peak tee times!!

Good luck !!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Thread Information