100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge sweeper is on a distinguished road

Hitting the inside quadrant of the ball

Why do you think a golfer should be hitting the inside quadrant of the ball?
    What are your opinions?

Here is mine...
    If a (good) golfer swings on an inclined plane (a lot of golfers swing on a bent plane
    trying to hit the back of the ball) and the bottom of the arc of the sweetspot
    of the clubhead is below the equator of the ball, the golfer will always be
    hitting the inside quadrant of the ball. Then the next question is why the ball
    won't go to the right... The answer is that because it is not when the club
    meets the ball matters, it is when the ball leaves the clubface matters... So
    in a correct on plane swinging motion, the club meets the ball slightly open
    relative to the plane line, then the ball gets compressed on the face of the
    club for a split second, and during that split second the clubface rotates
    and squares with the plane line and the ball takes off. Since the clubface
    is square to the plane line when the ball leaves the clubface, the shot will
    be straight or it will baby-draw... If you put a camera that is right above
    the ball, the camera would be recording an in to out clubhead arc relative
    to the plane line on the ground. But the clubhead would be traveling on the
    plane all times... Basically that is why I think good golfers hit the inside
    quadrant of the ball and take divots...

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    the divot part to me is an entire different right arm animal but your take on the inside quad with open face is DEAD STRAIGHT ON imo

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Here is an short article on this in ScoreGolf.

http://www.scoregolf.com/articles/x-...-golf-ball.cfm

"So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    This isn't something I've ever focussed on, at least in the specific, but it seems to me the inside quad thing is more of a mental image because you're coming around on it. Swing energy may be coming from the inside but the club realy hits the back of the ball. If you've managed to tag it anywhere else it's likely a shanked shot. I also doubt the club face rotates apreciably while making ball contact, maybe a touch with the driver but I doubt it's part of the deal.

I say, it's just a swing thought.

I stand ready to eat crow lol

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    i'd put the X only 2-3 dimples below back of ball to be really precise. Mental image? maybe. but swing over the ball in too out a few times and watch what the 'blur of the clubhead' looks like and the path it takes.

if your hands are pre-programmed for the shot per hand, they can keep the face closing through impact thus the reason to hit the inside quad as described with an open face at impact.
    You could leave the face open through impact deliberately without any hand rotation thoughts at all, hit more the back of the ball and it will fly straight. so you both are right. lol

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
    Why do you think a golfer should be hitting the inside quadrant of the ball?
    What are your opinions?
    I have been "preaching" this idea on this forum for a long time and even though it is repetitious, the more it is stated, the greater is the chance that golfers will use it, and if they do, they WILL become better ball strikers.

So many golfers still believe that they must hit the BACK of the ball with a SQUARE club face. If they do they will HOOK the ball left. The face MUST be square at SEPARATION, open at IMPACT and it does rotate from impact to separation. The ratio of inside path in degrees to an open club face in degrees, is approximately 3:2. This will likely produce a PURE DRAW. A flight path slightly to the right of the target line curving back to the target line.

If golfers focus on the inside quadrant of the ball, the "X" on your diagram, this mental image will cause the most important move in the swing to happen, without any conscious thought. Instead of the hands coming out and down, they will move BACK, DOWN and then OUT to the ball. It may appear as an loop like Garcia does, or more subtle like Hogan and Moe Norman did, but it is IDEAL. This motion will get you on an inside path to the ball, essential to good ball striking. And it is so easy to do.

compression

please see the image...

ballflight programming 101...

The club gives input to the ball during impact...
    The input is evaluated by the ball...
    The output is ballflight...

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar
    I am determined to keep all such technical thoughts out of my head this season.

Focus on the target, visualize the shot you want, and hit the ball!

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    well that link was pretty convincing, not that it changes anything really. Good shots go straight, bad shots don't etc...I wouldn't have thought the club wasn't square at impact on the average straight shot.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rhh7 View Post
    I am determined to keep all such technical thoughts out of my head this season.
    Focus on the target, visualize the shot you want, and hit the ball!
    Trying to hit the inside quadrant is something that you work on in practice and is not really a technical thought as it is just a point on which to focus. In practice, I see the club face hitting the inside of the ball and my arms move in the proper way to achieve this.

Visualizing the shot you want is important but this is part of your PRESHOT routine, the part of the shot you do BEFORE you put your hands on the club, setup and swing. While focusing on the target is commonly used, pop golf psychology, it makes no sense to me and I never do it, except in PRESHOT. My target is the golf ball and where it lands is incidental to how well I swing. Thinking target, the green or fairway, is a stress inducer because it is results orientated and increases the chance of a weaker swing.

If your swing is totally subconscious, that is, you are NOT trying to fix your swing when you play, then focusing on a non-golf related thought will yield the best results, overall.

Thread Information