100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    That wasn't his comment now was it?! His main point was that it should be handled by the criminal system. So what's stupid., the comment or the lack detail in the reply?
    I have my opinion on stuff like this when it comes to hockey and it usually doesn't sit well with "PC", liberal,Ottawa crowd. So be it.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    His main point was that it should be handled by the criminal system.
    Where did he say that? I have looked at all his posts and I don't see at any point where he said it should be handled by the criminal system. I do see where he says the punishment should fit the crime not the injury. Which I believe is what pretty much all of us are saying.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    His response was that the punishment should fit the crime, not fit the injury. I took that to mean that the punishment should be in proportion to the infraction (I didn't take it to actually be referring to the criminal system). That is why I took issue with the Yanks comments, as many on here would agree that the punishment should fit the 'crime'.

On the criminal system, we are in agreement...I don't thik they should get involved.

Putter coachnd is on a distinguished road coachnd's Avatar
    Having played hockey for most of my life, I would have to say that was a cheap shot on Simon's part. There is no place for that behavior in the NHL, or Hockey at any level. As far as a role model, I think that there are better to emulate. A criminal punishment, come on... That seems a little extreme. I feel the punishment was just, 25 games is a lot, and IMHO well worth it. Having grown up on Long Island and being a life long Ranger fan, I have seen my share of Islander/Ranger battles. I was not surprised something like this happend in such a heated rivalry, but like I said earlier, no place for that. If Simon was frustrated b/c he was hit from behind, then drop the gloves and fight. Hitting another palyer with a stick, in my opinion, makes Simon a coward!!!

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    That's why you yanks should stick with baseball!
    And whats wrong with Baseball?

Eagle dhacker1956 is on a distinguished road
    That wasn't his comment now was it?! His main point was that it should be handled by the criminal system. So what's stupid., the comment or the lack detail in the reply?
    I have my opinion on stuff like this when it comes to hockey and it usually doesn't sit well with "PC", liberal,Ottawa crowd. So be it.
    I guess you show your inability to read. No where in this reply did I say the courts should get involved. I just said that the penalty should be the same for each offense. Just because the guy that Simon BUSHWACKED had a hard head he should get a lighter penalty. I think not!
    BTW There are alot of "Yanks" who love hockey as much as you "Canucks".
    They just don't like to see such egregious acts of unsportsmanlike conduct. BTTW FYI I hate baseball and hockey. I prefer civilized pursuits like "THE OPERA"!!

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Wonder how many games Terry O'Reilly and some of the Bruins players got for this................??? How many games do you think they would get in 2007......?
    How many games in 2007 would you get for chasing a fan into the stands, taking his shoe off and giving him a good beating with it.........??? My guess is you would be taking the "blue & white limo" down to Elgin St..........!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DR500vrRmY
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

CRIME - A crime is a wrongdoing classified by the state or Congress as a felony or misdemeanor.

A crime is an offence against a public law. This word, in its most general sense, includes all offences, but in its more limited sense is confined to felony.

When you use the word crime, I assumed you knew the meaning and implied that a criminal offence had taken place. I guess I was wrong according to the peanut gallery. The yank comment was more tongue and check but if we want to get serious I still don't think they really understand hockey just like I'll never understand baseball or NASCAR. I guess from now on I'll just use what ever word I want and have mean what ever I want as well. Like I said before, I rarely have these conversation in Ottawa and end up having an agreement. Might be the same reason why when the Sens win their fans are right on board and when they lose a couple they jump off that train as fast as an election campaign gone wrong.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Wonder how many games Terry O'Reilly and some of the Bruins players got for this................??? How many games do you think they would get in 2007......?
    How many games in 2007 would you get for chasing a fan into the stands, taking his shoe off and giving him a good beating with it.........??? My guess is you would be taking the "blue & white limo" down to Elgin St..........!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DR500vrRmY
    If you guessed 8 games for O'Reilly, and 2 games for the Mike "the shoe beater" Milbury then you are correct..........!!!

Times have certainly changed since 1979...............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Like I said before, I rarely have these conversation in Ottawa and end up having an agreement. Might be the same reason why when the Sens win their fans are right on board and when they lose a couple they jump off that train as fast as an election campaign gone wrong.
    You are SOOOOOOOOOO right...

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Wow, I think we could get along just fine...but we can't talk politics here! Damn!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    CRIME - A crime is a wrongdoing classified by the state or Congress as a felony or misdemeanor.

A crime is an offence against a public law. This word, in its most general sense, includes all offences, but in its more limited sense is confined to felony.

When you use the word crime, I assumed you knew the meaning and implied that a criminal offence had taken place. I guess I was wrong according to the peanut gallery. The yank comment was more tongue and check but if we want to get serious I still don't think they really understand hockey just like I'll never understand baseball or NASCAR. I guess from now on I'll just use what ever word I want and have mean what ever I want as well. Like I said before, I rarely have these conversation in Ottawa and end up having an agreement. Might be the same reason why when the Sens win their fans are right on board and when they lose a couple they jump off that train as fast as an election campaign gone wrong.
    Dude, I honestly can't tell if you're being serious here. Have you never heard the expression "let the punishment fit the crime"? It does not necessarily imply to criminal acts. I just took it in the general colloquial sense of "let the punishment fit the wrong committed." Just a misunderstanding I suppose.

I do agree with you that just about everything that happens on the ice should be free from criminal prosecution. I just thought that your initial comment was inappropriate given my interpretation of what dhacker said. But, no harm, no foul.

I have no idea where you're getting this "that's why sens fans are all bandwagon jumpers thing," given that it was the American (and I assume not a Sens fan) who made the initial comment.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    What if Hollweg, or Brashear had died as a result of the blows to the head? After all, a weapon was used. Should Simon and McSorley be charged then?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

now on I'll just use what ever word I want and have mean what ever I want as well. Like I said before, I rarely have these conversation in Ottawa and end up having an agreement. Might be the same reason why when the Sens win their fans are right on board and when they lose a couple they jump off that train as fast as an election campaign gone wrong.
    Ya know db...... not everyone has to be of the same opinion as you. Others are allowed to have their own opinion and in cases like this, do. It has nothing to do with it being in Ottawa or that our friend was from the USA or the Sens win or lose a few..... it is all about you wanting to debate all the time. You really don't G.A.S. about what anyone else thinks, which is fine. Maybe if you didn't come across as so demeaning, antagonistic you might get more of a real debate but no, you have to throw little comments in to stir the pot and get people going, which IMHO is what you like to do anyway so you are getting exactly what you want out of it which is what makes this forum so great, its called freedom of speech. You have the freedom to voice your opinion and the rest of us have the same freedom, some of us just choose to have a different opinion.

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    What if Hollweg, or Brashear had died as a result of the blows to the head? After all, a weapon was used. Should Simon and McSorley be charged then?
    I would say yes. Does anyone else remember a spearing incedent in one of the uero. leuages years ago. The player died on the ice and the speary was charged and covicted of manslaughter.
    IMO only in the case of death or life long injuries should any level of the law be alowed to step in. In the case of life time injuries. I think fileing a law suit against the player involved is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Ya know db...... not everyone has to be of the same opinion as you. Others are allowed to have their own opinion and in cases like this, do. It has nothing to do with it being in Ottawa or that our friend was from the USA or the Sens win or lose a few..... it is all about you wanting to debate all the time. You really don't G.A.S. about what anyone else thinks, which is fine. Maybe if you didn't come across as so demeaning, antagonistic you might get more of a real debate but no, you have to throw little comments in to stir the pot and get people going, which IMHO is what you like to do anyway so you are getting exactly what you want out of it which is what makes this forum so great, its called freedom of speech. You have the freedom to voice your opinion and the rest of us have the same freedom, some of us just choose to have a different opinion.
    I don't try to stir the pot on purpose but I do tend to be very opinionated and have a bit of an aggressive personality. But I think that the opposite is true, I made an opinion different from the norm and people seem to want prove me wrong, which is hard to do when it is an opinion and if you check I wasn't trying to change anyones opinion just expressing my own regarding the suspension length. So you can think what you want of me, because you are entitled to your opinion but don't think I'll be losing any sleep over it, in fact I don't mind being called out it leaves less room for false pleasantries. Also, I already made it clear that my comment regarding Americans and baseball was just tongue and cheek but I would bet most Americans really don't care about Chris Simon 5 mins after seeing it on ESPN the same way I felt regarding steroids in baseball.

It is an excellent point by Lobwedge, what if someone dies? Is that a criminal act? Not sure, my rational mind says yes, but one could debate the same if a boxer or UFC fighter died. The argument there would be that it is apart of their sport and that they knew the risks. A good defense might be able to prove that this type of stuff is apart of playing a high intensity sport such as hockey. If it wasn't apart of the game, then why would they need rules to regulate such incidents. Interesting thought though.

Whatever happened to that guy who had a heart attack after being slashed across the chest, was the slasher charged.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 03-15-2007 at 08:47 PM.

Eagle dhacker1956 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dhacker1956 View Post
    I guess you show your inability to read. No where in this reply did I say the courts should get involved. I just said that the penalty should be the same for each offense. Just because the guy that Simon BUSHWACKED had a hard head he should get a lighter penalty. I think not!
    BTW There are alot of "Yanks" who love hockey as much as you "Canucks".
    They just don't like to see such egregious acts of unsportsmanlike conduct. BTTW FYI I hate baseball and hockey. I prefer civilized pursuits like "THE OPERA"!!
    Actually I mispoke... My last statement should read, " I prefer civilized more civilized pursuits like... World Championship Wrestling."

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Tone it down a notch. Keep to the topic of the hockey incident. No more personal insults please.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

So you can think what you want of me, because you are entitled to your opinion but don't think I'll be losing any sleep over it, in fact I don't mind being called out it leaves less room for false pleasantries.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Now we have various thoughts and opinions on this matter of Simon's suspension.
    Ok, go read this if you missed it in the papers today.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

bbad
    IMO I don't think that the league has a real problem, only that it is in a bit of a pickle right now. They know that they have to be more firm, but they don't have anything in the regulations that allow them the flexibility. Ex. Emery should have been given more than 3 games (even though he was run numerous times in the game, his action was inexcusable).

As an example for the above...What if it was Sydney who cross checked...Do you take out your star player? As much as people might not want to admit, there are 2 sets of rules. Though if they did have a cut and dry line, then Colin would have no choice but to say that he has been suspeneded. The rules say......

I've heard that there will be SIGNIFICANT changes to suspension criteria over the summer months. This should help reduce the 'I think he deserves' decisions from head office. If the penalties were more cut and dry, then the players would know what they can get away with and what not.

As a side note: I also laugh at the people who say that Simon should have known better. Until you have been in the heat of battle (I don't know any other way of saying it) you shouldn't be so quick to judge as to he should have done this or that. I'm not excusing what he did (which I think was reprehensible) I can understand his state of mind at least. As I've been there a few times and logical thinking is the LAST thing on your mind. Is this an excuse...no...but it is a byproduct of this game. Let's face it..it's a physical game with risks...My other question is, what was Hollweg doing came back? Does he have a deathwish????

Just my 2 cents.

Finally, someone I agree with! It will be interesting to see if the league comes up with a hard set suspension process that eliminates the grey area, such as 20 games automatically for any stick to the head, minus accidental high sticking of course. I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with a 3 strikes your out rule for repeat offenders because I think that they are feeling more and more pressure from outside agencies to clean the game up and make it more of a friendly skate with a puck then a hockey game where guys battle for a win.

Thread Information