100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Seriously doubt it. Like I wrote when you have a concussion you are lost and you would not have that reaction. On to another topic. The fans are cheering him as he skates off the ice
    A friend of mine plays hockey and rugby, and doctors have told him he's had at least 5 concussions. I remember one of them...he crashed head first into the boards behind the net early in the game, but played the rest of the game. Concussions don't incapacitate you every time...you might be a little dazed, but you can continue to function. So yes, Simon could have had a concussion...

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    A friend of mine plays hockey and rugby, and doctors have told him he's had at least 5 concussions. I remember one of them...he crashed head first into the boards behind the net early in the game, but played the rest of the game. Concussions don't incapacitate you every time...you might be a little dazed, but you can continue to function. So yes, Simon could have had a concussion...
    I had one playing hockey. Head first into the boards. Yes I kept playing. Believe me not only was I dazed but I thought we were in the 1st period(while we were in the 3rd) and thought the score was different than it actually was and was wondering why I was on the bench­ .If he did suffer one it was very mild one and at the risk of repeating myself the last thing on your mind at that point is retaliation. You just don't go and whack the crap out of someone with such force after a concussion.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I doubt very much a team doctor would lie about a concussion.
    It is a business and team doctors often do things that they really would not do any other time.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I got hit from behind once where my chin hit the edge of the boards where the glass meets, I was seeing stars and barely knew where I was but I still had enough instinct to let one good punch go at the gut who hit me. Didn't use my stick and therefore didn't get suspended but I reacted; your body will do weird things when it feels it is in trouble. Ended up having a concussion and a headache that wouldn't go away for weeks. Simons stick work was def. brutal and he'll be punished but I don't think they should make a federal case out of it. Hockey is a game of emotions and when you have guys of that size, thrown into a box with no where to go, you're going to have things like this happen. It's been around since the first puck was dropped, just because we are more PC now doesn't change the fact that a lot of the time it is just out of raw emotion to win and compete.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Seriously doubt it. Like I wrote when you have a concussion you are lost and you would not have that reaction. On to another topic. The fans are cheering him as he skates off the ice
    There are degrees of concussion. I have had a couple. One of them I did very much the same thing as Simon...went down...got up about 5 seconds later, and kept on playing. The other one...well...lets just say I got hit on the sidelines, and the next thing I remember I was getting up/hobbling around/taking a knee (see the lack of clarity here? ) by the goal posts.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Global TV's early report and Sportsnet have reported a suspension length of 22 games (rest of regular season and the 1st round of the playoffs). I don't think that the NHL has confirmed this though.

Dave

bbad
    According to TSN, this was a false report that came out of NewYork.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=199575&hubname=nhl

TSN has apologized if there was any confusion. 15 games + 7 playoff.

Personally, I have no idea what Colin Campbell will do with this one He always seems to fit the punishment with the injury and not the crime. Since there really is no injury (couple of stiches) he's in a bit of a dillema. If he suspends him for the season and part of next season, it should send a stronger message than he has lately to the players but Simon will be the scape goat. There has been worse done in the NHL with little more than a couple games, so precendent goes against him. Haven't seen very much worse lately though...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what he will do. Wouldn't want to be him on this one.

Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knickers View Post
    I dont want to deffend this incident because it was bad as it gets in the NHL and should be punished with a season long suspension.
    That said if you know anything about Chris Simon. He might be a perfect role model for some. He has come from a poor and I mean poor place, he has battled and won a extreme drinking problem and has become a stand up person off the ice. His charity work is second to none and is considered a leader and role model on every team he has played for.
    I doubt there is anyone that can say they haven't done something and regreted it the second it was over.
    He'll get his punisment and it will be hard but knowone should be attacking his integrity over a spur of the moment incident that happened during the heat of battle. there are many pro athletes that are genuine A**holes but Simon is not one of them.
    All of the above should have any bearing on what this guy deserves. An intent to injure penalty should result in a season long suspension - period. The name itself implies EXACTLY what Simon was trying to do - injure the other player.

I don't care if this was Steve Yzerman, the guy should be gone for the season. The league doesn't need guys that do that - Crosby, Naslund, Sundin, whomever. If you use your stick in a manner that has the intention of injuring another player on the ice (I will include pitchfork style spears here too), you are done. Period.

Call that extreme, but that's what the league needs. It might not stop idiots from being idiots, but it might curb some of the garbage that goes on in the league now.

I'll also note that the original hit was a board - no doubt about it. And, I lay the blame for alot of these BS incidents on the league itself. The officiating is the worst I have ever seen, including minor hockey.

What a joke. Who wants to watch that crap?

R35

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockford35 View Post
    All of the above should have any bearing on what this guy deserves. An intent to injure penalty should result in a season long suspension - period. The name itself implies EXACTLY what Simon was trying to do - injure the other player.

I don't care if this was Steve Yzerman, the guy should be gone for the season. The league doesn't need guys that do that - Crosby, Naslund, Sundin, whomever. If you use your stick in a manner that has the intention of injuring another player on the ice (I will include pitchfork style spears here too), you are done. Period.

Call that extreme, but that's what the league needs. It might not stop idiots from being idiots, but it might curb some of the garbage that goes on in the league now.

I'll also note that the original hit was a board - no doubt about it. And, I lay the blame for alot of these BS incidents on the league itself. The officiating is the worst I have ever seen, including minor hockey.

What a joke. Who wants to watch that crap?

R35
    Not to sure why your quoting me as the first sentence of that post clearly says that I agree that he should be suspended for the rest of the season.
    The rest of that post was simply replying to a post stating that Simon should not be considered a role model because of this one incedent.
    I agree with jonf that pro athletes should never be seen as role models for there actions on the ice. But I do belive that they could be for what they contribute to society off the ice. Once again Chris Simon is a stand up person that has had to battle many personal issues off the ice and I dont think many could argue that.
    As for the officiating in minor hockey. It may be part of the problem, but I never hear anyone blaming coaches and parents for not teaching some of these kids from a young age that this kind of behavior is uneceptable on and off the ice.

Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar
    Knickers,

I don't think my rant was directed at you, personally. I was just implying that Simon will never be a role model, as his on the ice persona unfortunately outweighs what he might do off the ice. And this is the icing on the cake.

He may have gone down in NHL folklore as a tough guy that was a team player and did great things off the ice. Now, he'll be remembered for being a complete bonehead. Unfortunate, yes. Inevitable, probably.

Personally, I am a fan of the talented guys that can fight. Tkachuck, Guerin, Souray (questionable), ect. The days of Tie Domi and Chris Simon are over. And, if the NHL pulled their heads out of their anuses, they would eliminate the need for such complete wastes of space.

Olympic hockey refereeing is a great model. If the NHL went along those lines, you'd see the death of clutch and grab and the birth of skill. Just imagine how good Bure or Forsberg, or even Heatly could/could have been if they played good hockey.

Again, nothing personal, Knicks, that wasn't my intention.

Cheers,

R35

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    I didnt think you were attacking me personaly. Just didnt see why you quoted me when I agreed with what you were about to say.
    now I dont want to get into an arguement about Simons playing ability but he is a +17 on the season with 27 points and only 75 PM's. Not amazing no but hardly a waste of space.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockford35 View Post
    Knickers,

I don't think my rant was directed at you, personally. I was just implying that Simon will never be a role model, as his on the ice persona unfortunately outweighs what he might do off the ice. And this is the icing on the cake.

He may have gone down in NHL folklore as a tough guy that was a team player and did great things off the ice. Now, he'll be remembered for being a complete bonehead. Unfortunate, yes. Inevitable, probably.

Personally, I am a fan of the talented guys that can fight. Tkachuck, Guerin, Souray (questionable), ect. The days of Tie Domi and Chris Simon are over. And, if the NHL pulled their heads out of their anuses, they would eliminate the need for such complete wastes of space.

Olympic hockey refereeing is a great model. If the NHL went along those lines, you'd see the death of clutch and grab and the birth of skill. Just imagine how good Bure or Forsberg, or even Heatly could/could have been if they played good hockey.

Again, nothing personal, Knicks, that wasn't my intention.

Cheers,

R35
    how can you say that the days of the pure fighter is over. How many times has Crosby been cheap-shotted since Laroque has been in Pittsburgh? The fighters don't have to actually fight, in order for them to make a difference on the ice. Its the notion that you have to answer to Laraque if you do something to Crosby/Malkin/Staal which makes the real difference, not the act of him actually fighting. You ask Crosby if the addition of Laraque has made a difference to the team, and the respect that is given to him.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Simon is officially gone for the rest of the regular season (15 games) and the rest of the playoffs (a minimum of 25 games total). If the Islanders don't make the playoffs or last longer than a round, the remaining games must be satisfied in next year's regular season.

Personally, I don't think that this incident was as bad as the Bertuzzi or McSorley incidents. But Simon has been involved in past stick incidents which likely added more games to his suspension. Thought that he would be gone for 15-20 games personally.

Dave

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    that's a joke, i think its too low. If you want to put an end to this, 25 games is not enough to have players take notice. I personally think he should have gotten 1/2 season, 41games. It pains me to say this, cause i know him personally, but i think they should have thrown the book at him. He has past history of stick work and the NHL needs to make a point of someone, they are way too light. Think the Janssen hit, that should have been more than 5 games as well. The GM's gotta take care of this.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I think that Campbell made the right call on this one. Simon better hope that the Isles make the playoffs and get through the first round, otherwise it's an extra 10 games without pay next year (with whoever he signs with). I'm fairly certain he's played his last game with the Islanders, and maybe his last game period.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    i think it's in the range where it should have been...
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    so i dont know about this..... buuut, i just heard he was suspended for 25+ games regular and post season. what effect does this have on his contract? ie: is he still getting paid for not playing? or is there a clause in his contract that he is not getting paid for games missed?

Seems a bit to much, the other guys wasn't a star player and was back out for his next shift. The league wanted to make an example out of him and they did, but the sentence doesn't fit the injury IMO.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    dude i just saw the highlight... he wipped his stick at the guys face!! he should be banned

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    Seems a bit to much, the other guys wasn't a star player and was back out for his next shift. The league wanted to make an example out of him and they did, but the sentence doesn't fit the injury IMO.
    All men are created equal.... IMHO it is not the quality of the player that is on the receiving end of the attack that should determin the sentence....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    so i dont know about this..... buuut, i just heard he was suspended for 25+ games regular and post season. what effect does this have on his contract? ie: is he still getting paid for not playing? or is there a clause in his contract that he is not getting paid for games missed?
    he forfeits the $ and it goes to the NHL Players reserve fund. If you get suspended you do not pass go and do not collect your paycheque.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    I'm with JonF.. i've been out a couple times in my hockey 'career' and it really sends you for a loop... When you come to you are very confused and really disoriented and both times i didnt remember how I got that way...
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    dude i just saw the highlight... he wipped his stick at the guys face!! he should be banned
    Emery swiped his stick at a guys face and only got 3 games. He hit the guys visor and it didn't really do any damage. He hit him inthe face but didn't do much, it seems like it was more of an emotional reaction from being pasted into the boards from behind. I think 25+ games i way too much consideringthe other player was good to go. I think the 4th line guys end up gettingheavier sentences in the NHL then the star players, Bertuzzi only got his because of the damage he inflicted and the media out cry. I honestly didn't think it looked that bad, not good but I've seen worse.

Haha...look at Emery's hit, then look at Simon. It's like comparing a punch to the nose with brass knuckles to a slap on the cheek. Much worse hit. He baseballed the guy in the face, full power. I don't care what his emotions were, it was about as bad as I've seen. I'm glad they didn't suspend based on the injury, because that is a stupid way of doing things. You have to suspend the play, not the aftermath. What Simon did was worse than McSorley imo (though there's no point in getting into that discussion...they were both awful and we can leave it at that).

Bottom line, the league did a good job on this one. They know how to handle BAD plays. Unfortunately they still have no idea how to be consistent on your every-day type incident (which is really ironic, because they happen every day, so you'd figure they'd have a decent system by now ).

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I'm glad they didn't suspend based on the injury, because that is a stupid way of doing things. You have to suspend the play, not the aftermath.
    I'm admit I'm stirring the pot here, but intent is seldom the main factor in punishment. If you're in a fight, punch someone who then loses his balance falls backward, cracks his head on the curb and then dies, you're looking at a manslaughter charge at the lightest, murder a possibility. If you throw a punch at someone and miss, even in front of a police officer, what's the charge? Maybe assault, maybe public intoxication, probably nothing. What's the difference in intent?

For that matter, what's the difference between a drunk who drives a car and gets caught at a ride program, vs a drunk who drives his car and kills someone running a red light? Again, no difference in intent, just the result. The result is usually the determining factor in any kind of sentencing or charge.

I will say I think 25 games is just fine for Simon. If he'd really hurt the guy he hit, it should have been way more (but I don't think it would have). And Denny's right that Heatly wouldn't have done the same time for this crime. The fringe guys are always going to pay a heavier price for their actions than the stars do.

Eagle dhacker1956 is on a distinguished road
    The league wanted to make an example out of him and they did, but the sentence doesn't fit the injury IMO.
    Fit the Injury?? Sorry! Un-uh! Should be fit the crime!!!

That's why you yanks should stick with baseball! You'll never truely understand our game and the history of its brutality. Guys get hurt, they fight, they bleed and every nowand then someone gets clubbed a little, but leave it on the ice for the refs and league to take care of not the criminal system.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Emery swiped his stick at a guys face and only got 3 games. He hit the guys visor and it didn't really do any damage. He hit him inthe face but didn't do much, it seems like it was more of an emotional reaction from being pasted into the boards from behind. I think 25+ games i way too much consideringthe other player was good to go. I think the 4th line guys end up gettingheavier sentences in the NHL then the star players, Bertuzzi only got his because of the damage he inflicted and the media out cry. I honestly didn't think it looked that bad, not good but I've seen worse.

I have to agree with that,3 games for Emery??The NHL needs to hand out suspensions based on the act,not the degree of injury The knee on knee's,hitting from behind should all be in the same cat. as the stickwork period.
    25 games for all offenses will put a stop to all that B.S
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    That's why you yanks should stick with baseball! You'll never truely understand our game and the history of its brutality. Guys get hurt, they fight, they bleed and every nowand then someone gets clubbed a little, but leave it on the ice for the refs and league to take care of not the criminal system.
    Now that is one thing I think most of us can agree with!!! There is no reason to be taking these sports 'incidents' into a court of law....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Sorry to say, but this sounds like a stupid comment to me, given the number of non-yanks in this thread who have been saying that the punishment should have nothing to do with the injury.

Thread Information