One of the principles which I have learned is to rid yourself of old possessions to make way for the new.

I had 11 like new Distance Master irons, with Rifle 7.0 shafts, with only 4 rounds on them, woods, and my old BullsEye putter, which I used the only two times I broke 80 in my life.

My son and my son-in-law are both strapping lads, who are primarily driving range players thus far. I learned from sad experience that they generate sufficient clubhead speed to break or bend many of my older, less stoutly built clubs.

To my son-in-law, I gave the 3-5-7-9-GW-LW, plus a 12 degree driver, 15 degree 3W, and 21 degree 5W, plus an old Ping stand bag.

To my son, I gave the 4-6-8-PW-SW, plus the BullsEye putter, plus my Titleist 975D driver with DGX-100 shaft, Wilson 3W with DGS-300 shaft, and Freddy Couples "Boom Boom" 5W, with DGS-300 shaft, and a carry bag.

To my GCA club builder, I am giving a matched 3-PW set of DGR-300 taper tip shafts, as well as 3 or 4 various TT wood shafts, a cubic balance 1-iron, and a mint condition small head 5W, which looks almost like modern hybrids.

Beware the man with only one gun, he may be a deadly shot. Beware the man with only one set of new golf clubs. He is liable to make dramatic improvement this season!