CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Have you ever choked?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

2 8.00%
  • Often

6 24.00%
  • occasionally

13 52.00%
  • Overcame it

4 16.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Choking

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Choking

As an amateur have you ever choked? How did you overcome it? Did you lose it all? I have on many occasions. It is a natural process imo and also has a lot to do with confidence level. So my question is: How can you control your emotions better?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I choked in the finals of the club championship (match play) when I was 18 years old. I missed every putt you could imagine. The next year, I sunk every putt I needed and won. The solution for me lay in playing and practicing more. Once you become more comfortable with the pressure, the less likely you are to start hitting bad shots at bad times. Sometimes you simply want it too bad, and as a result you get in your own way. Intensity is good, but not if you lose focus. If you want to overcome the tendency to collapse under pressure, then you need to maintain an equilibrium between intensity and focus. Of course, as BC Mist would no doubt point out, if you haven't ingrained the right habits as part of your swing, all the intensity and focus in the world won't make up for a flawed swing. Recall Greg Norman's tendency to flare the ball out to the right under pressure!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    unfortunately i don't think its possible to overcome choking, although i did vote for that. I thought i had it beat a couple years ago in a "Ryder Cup" i played in where i made an 8 footer to halve the match on the 36th hole with about 25 people watching, and even worse was a partner in his pocket relying on me.

But then last year at my club championship, i went 68-78. I would think i choked in the last round to shoot 78. The one thing i like to try and remember is that in order to have the "chance" to choke, you have to play excellent to get to that point. I mean, if you are a scratch golfer, its not choking if you miss a putt and shoot 76 instead of 75, but it is choking if you miss a putt to shoot 67 instead of 66. I love having the feeling of choking/not choking, because after the initial annoyance of missing, you can think back and say that you played well above-average on the first 17 holes to get the "chance" to choke.

If Tiger misses a 5footer at the WGC on the 18th to win the match, i would thinking choking can not be overcame. he can blame it on the ballmark, but if he wasn't nervous, he wouldn't have missed the ballmark!

Recall Greg Norman's tendency to flare the ball out to the right under pressure!
    That is the thing though. Norman did not have a flawed swing imo.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    You may be right, but I always felt that the problem must have been with his mechanics, since his unforced errors demonstrated a consistent pattern. I would have thought that if the root cause of the problem was emotional/psychological, then the distribution pattern of his bad shots might be more random. I acknowledge, though, that this premise could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    That is the thing though. Norman did not have a flawed swing imo.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I always considered a choke as a shot that you messed up on because of the pressure of the moment on you. If you hit the shot or putt where you wanted it to go and you figured wrong or it was affected some how outside your ability to control it wasn't a choke just a golf shot gone bad.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    who doesnt chock ocasionally... i think if Weirsy is gonna be on this poll he should check often...

who ever checked never is lying

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I look at choking as being nervous and not being able to overcome the pressure of the situation. But if you have your adrenaline going and are pushing real hard and just make mistakes I don't call that choking. But the only person that would ever know this would be the person taking the shot. Were they shaking because of nerves or shaking because of adrenaline and excitement. To me, they are two different things, and I've suffered from both at different times in golf and in other sports.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I look at choking as being nervous and not being able to overcome the pressure of the situation. But if you have your adrenaline going and are pushing real hard and just make mistakes I don't call that choking. But the only person that would ever know this would be the person taking the shot. Were they shaking because of nerves or shaking because of adrenaline and excitement. To me, they are two different things, and I've suffered from both at different times in golf and in other sports.
    so i take it you checked "often"

I didn't vote. Not sure how to vote. I've done both, I've overcome both. Wish there were more options.

And I would not say often. Two seasons ago was my first season of golf entering club competitions. And there were times when I felt excited and times I felt nervous. It was a struggle in some of the events. But last year, seeing how I was more accustomed to it, I fared much better in the events. I even brought home the third best closing nine during the second round of club championship. Your head gets in the way lots in this game, if you can control your emotions you'll fare much better than your opponents who cannot. Talent can only take you so far, once the game is on the line the one's with the most talent that can control their nerves will come out on top in more cases than not.

And I find it unfortunate that most golfers on here will never experience the thrill of competition. And I don't mean your weekend game with your regular buddies. I'm talking about a round of golf where you have a 1.5 ft downhill putt to win a match or post a career round and your buddy can't tell you to "pick it up, that's good." I really enjoyed the competition and look forward to many more in the coming years. You'd be surprised at how you react in those situations.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    who doesnt chock ocasionally... i think if Weirsy is gonna be on this poll he should check often...

who ever checked never is lying

That was me. I guess what one would call "choking" is up to interpretation. Have I missed a 3 footer I would normally make most of the time? Sure. Have I chunked a drive before? Absolutely.

I had a rough season last year that saw my handicap go from 15.2 up to over 19 a couple of times. I've had good rounds and bad rounds - and last year the good ones were few and far between with no "spectacular" ones.

So given that I am likely to skull a pitch around the green, chunk a 110 yard shot and watch it go into the water, wickedly hook a drive or overshoot a green after underestimating the distance, effects of wind or elevation changes every now and then I don't know that I can say with any certainty that I've had a case of the yips or completely broke down at some crucial point.

I'm not good enough to expect that I will play the same each and every day. I know I will walk off the course feeling like a champ after shooting an 83 and like a chump after plodding my way through a 97 (or even into triple digits the odd time). But does that constitute choking? I figure it's average me falling on one side or the other of the law of averages.

OK, so I'm over-analyzing things to possibly get a not-guilty verdict from the jury as far as my "I haven't choked" assertion... but I've had as many good/great games as I have had hideous/absolutely horrible ones. I've roared to great match play victories and have pitifully lost others. Have I "choked" when I've lost those matches? I guess... but I know I won't win every match I play!

Am I just nuts? Did I "lie" when I checked that box earlier today? Let me know!

Your answer will be insightful because I do consider myself to be someone who tremendously enjoys competition. Maybe I'm just deluding myself when I look at my game overall... maybe I choke once per round and if I eliminated that from my repertoire I could be an 8 handicap by June!!!

its not the shot. cuz bad shots happen.. its the timing that those bad shots happen is what classifies it as a choke.

if u skull a wedge on 8 its not a choke.

if u lip out a putt on 18 to shoot your best carrer score... thats a choke

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I've definitely choked coming down the stretch with a career round on the line. Over time I found I am getting better at not worrying about what could go wrong and instead concentrate on what will go right when I make a good shot. I have found that now I can usually finish the front nine with no problems when I am on a roll. Still get rattled coming into 16, 17, and 18 if I've still got it going. For me it manifests itself in chipping and putting - I'll yip worse than usual. Short game is definitely my weak point, hence is the first to buckle when I feel the pressure. I generally have good confidence with my full swing so naturally it is not as prone to gagging. Cracks me up when I buckle under the "pressure" of golf! Cripes, I used to race professional motocross!
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

15.2 up to over 19 a couple
    That's marriage Or blame it on you getting married

I know I will walk off the course feeling like a champ after shooting an 83 and like a chump after plodding my way through a 97
    I know the feeling
    Mahatma Gandhi

I
    didn't vote. Not sure how to vote. I've done both, I've overcome both. Wish there were more options.
    Like what Geoff?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    its not the shot. cuz bad shots happen.. its the timing that those bad shots happen is what classifies it as a choke.

if u skull a wedge on 8 its not a choke.

if u lip out a putt on 18 to shoot your best carrer score... thats a choke
    I don't think lipping out on 18 to shoot your best score is a choke. I've seen many players hit great putts and for some reason they just don't drop. I wouldn't call that choking. I'd call that unlucky. Blowing the putt 8 ft by from 4 ft and not getting a sniff of the hole, now I'd call that choking.

And who says skulling a wedge on 8 is not a choke. You're in match play and have gathered a sizable lead from the start. And come the 8th hole, your opponent sticks one close that could possibly erase that early big lead you had. You skull your approach wedge because you are feeling the pressure of his resurgence back in the match.....I could see that as a choke.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    That's marriage Or blame it on you getting married

I know the feeling
    So do things get better in year two?

Quote Originally Posted by mmason31 View Post
    So do things get better in year two?

No. Then come the kids
    Mahatma Gandhi

I

Like what Geoff?
    Well for instance, I don't think you can put "Overcame it" up with without having "Have choked in the past" or something along those lines with it. Like I pointed out, I have choked in the past. But I have also redeemed myself in similar positions later on. So should I vote "Occasionally" or "Often" or "Overcame It" because in my eyes, through experience I've mananged to improve on my results in pressure situations??? See what I mean?

Well for instance, I don't think you can put "Overcame it" up with without having "Have choked in the past" or something along those lines with it. Like I pointed out, I have choked in the past. But I have also redeemed myself in similar positions later on. So should I vote "Occasionally" or "Often" or "Overcame It" because in my eyes, through experience I've mananged to improve on my results in pressure situations??? See what I mean?
    So are you saying it won't ever happen again?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Case in point. Last summer @ Outaouais. I had a terrible front 9. Went out on the back and was lighting it up (by my standards) and was 4 over for the 9 after 17. Needed bogey or better to break 90. For those of you who know the 18th, it can be pretty intimidating with the elevated green surrounded by water...and a patio at the rear. Anyway, I hit a perfect 3 iron, leaving myself about 120 to the flag from the middle of the fairway (I'm good from that range, usually). I stepped up to the ball, and just did not feel comfortable. Did i step back? Nope. Took the shot, chunked it, there goes the round. So uncool.

I agree with Geoff...not quite sure about the "overcame it" option. Did I overcome that choke job? Well, not in that round...it was on the 18th and the round was over. But I did come back and break 90 a couple of rounds later, so in that way I overcame it. I did not pull a David Duval or a Jean Van de Velde.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Case in point. Last summer @ Outaouais. I had a terrible front 9. Went out on the back and was lighting it up (by my standards) and was 4 over for the 9 after 17. Needed bogey or better to break 90. For those of you who know the 18th, it can be pretty intimidating with the elevated green surrounded by water...and a patio at the rear. Anyway, I hit a perfect 3 iron, leaving myself about 120 to the flag from the middle of the fairway (I'm good from that range, usually). I stepped up to the ball, and just did not feel comfortable. Did i step back? Nope. Took the shot, chunked it, there goes the round. So uncool.
    Don't feel bad Jon, during the 2nd round of the club championship I put 4 balls in the drink on 18 to miss the cut by 1

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I've choked on shots, rounds, it's just part of the game, trying to finish that stellar round etc...Last summer I hit the longest drive of my life and had a 7i into a par 5. The turf went 30 yards lol.

I figure the only thing to do is to try and step up and face it head on, at least you tried. I don't beleive in pretending all the chips aren't on the table.

So are you saying it won't ever happen again?

Not sure, I'll have to wait until the next time I'm in a pressure packed situation. But that was not one of your choices, but "Overcame It" makes it sound like someone wont' ever do it again.

I just don't like the poll portion of thread. I think discussing it is great, but voting is a little vague.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    unfortunately i don't think its possible to overcome choking ...
    I think it is possible to overcome 'choking' with more tournament play and the right positive attitude. The 1st time I was going to break 40 over 9 holes I finished triple, triple [I got nervous and choked]. I told myself, NEVER AGAIN will I worry about outcome and just let it happen. 2 months later I was on hole 9 looking at a 15 foot one-putt for a 39 and I drained it. I took no extra time to read the putt and just knocked it in. On the green my son said 'Dad, you need to 1 putt for a 39'. It dropped and he said 'how did you do that' ... I said, I didn't care if it went in. I told myself, it will happen today or next month.

The strongest mentally fit player I have seen play is my son. On a local amateur tour this past summer he won the 1st two events low gross. The 1st in a playoff and the other guy was so nervous he told his caddie he didn't want to play sudden death. During the playoff he found a near '10' mentally. I stayed 50 feet away from him so I wouldn't distract him. Just get out of the way and let him play. He started to hit shots during the 3 extra holes that he never executed during the 1st 18 holes. He elevated his game to get the win. During his 2nd game two weeks later he played with the final group, and 1 guy was in the clubhouse with the low posted score. He asked Duane what he shot when we come in and the other guy lost by a single stroke. Driving home Duane said to me, I wish Jon had of shot 1 stroke better, as I welcomed the opportunity to play him in a playoff. I cared more about mentally finding the '10' zone vs. getting the win. I need to find the '10' so I can replicate it more freely. I thought this was really mature. He cared less about getting the trophy, and valued more the opportunity to elevate his game to a new level.

Once we were in the mid states and left Thursday evening and had to get home Friday so he could play the Men's Club Championship on Saturday morning. We got home late Friday evening and neither of us had any sleep in over 40 hours. I was too tired to get out of bed and caddy for him beginning at 7 am. He opened with a '79' and was 7 strokes back with 18 to play. The leader shot 72 and was on his university golf team for all 4 years and golf captain for the last 2. When he got home after the playing 18 holes I was still in bed. I said what happened? He said he was so tired he could not focus his eyes and began to see double vision [2 balls] when chipping around the green. The next day, I asked Duane the no. he needed to shoot to win and he said '66' the tournament course record. The other guy who had played a ton of tournaments, university golf and many GAO provincial events begin to breathe heavy over every putt. Duane gained 6 strokes on him over the 1st 6 holes. Then on 18 he sunk a birdie putt for a '66' and a 3 stroke victory. He found the zone while putting and only used 23 putts [one putted 13 holes].

A year later he shot the new course record '64' with a '30' on the front 9. He was trying to chip in on 9 from 25 yards out for an eagle and a 29. I asked if he got nervous, he said, Dad I never get nervous. He missed the eagle chip-in by 6 inches. He said, do you think I would have a 6 inch tap in birdie if I was nervous over the shot? He did chip in on hole 8 but it bounced back out and was 2 inches from the cup. He chipped in on hole 7 but this one stayed in.

I've seen a lot of real good player melt down and lose a tournament. Jack always said, stay near the top on Sunday and watch the guys fall apart around you [or something like that]. Get into position, and many guys will self distruct [choke].

I think mental fitness can be acquired with the right attitude and confidence in your game. Few will master the mental aspect, and continue to choke time after time. Usually 1 bad hole and they never bounce back.

EDIT: I forgot to add, once he CHOKED big time with the lead after 9 holes. He proceeded to shoot in the 80's after finishing the last 9 holes with bogeys and double bogeys, no pars or birdies. After the round I said, what happened? He said, today was going to be my 1st win and ALL I could think of after the front 9 was to call mom and tell her I had won the tournament. He learned a big lesson that day, to stay in the moment and not get ahead and think of score. That was the last time he choked under pressure.
    Last edited by TourIQ; 03-09-2007 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Added the choke and what he learned from it ...
    Kind regards, Harry

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I choked once, on a hot dog
    I have choked on a golf course too and it was not pretty. After that I made myself relax and just have fun. Amazing what kind of scores you can shoot when you don't care!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    I choked once, on a hot dog
    Peterson, quit trying to swallow the darn thing whole
    Kind regards, Harry

So do you call what Slocum did on the 18th green choking?

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    I certainly have choked "big time" in the past. I always seem to start off playing well and then collapse at the end of the season. However, this year I promise that I am going to stay focused out there!!!
    In fact, I am not planning on playing a round of golf until July..........

Sincerely yours,

The Ottawa Senators Hockey Club

"So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

So do you call what Slocum did on the 18th green choking?
    Yes... reason being:

1) he has made 1000s of 4 footers
    2) not like there was alot of break to it
    3) the timing that it happend on the 72 hole is the icing on the cake

Thread Information