CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Cobra Forged Cb Irons

Hi Guys
    Does anyone have any experience with these irons? I picked up a set today, in like new condition, easily a 9.5 out of 10. $500. New ones currently retail for $799.99 US. So I figure I got a good deal. I also know what I paid is what was given to the former owner on trade in. (Yes, I got a deal because of my connections)

Dynamic Gold S300 Sensicore shafts, Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord grips, Cobra logo.

If these irons play as good as they look then I am going to really be happy with them. Pretty sure they will kick the Wishon 550C's out of my bag. I never thought that would happen for a few more years
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Great looking iron Golfbum. I wonder if anyone knows if they are billet forged or form forged? I would suspect King Cobra made these as a billet forged offering. I am still undecided if I will play the KZG Cavity Back or the Mizuno MX-20's - both forged and I have both sets of heads new.

Pretty sweet deal. Now to roughen them up in the spring when we get to play Mitchell.
    Kind regards, Harry

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar
    "King Cobra Forged CB irons feature a cavity back design with a transitioning muscle arch behind the hitting zone that gives you the ultimate in trajectory control. And since they're made with S30C Carbon Steel, they offer incredible feel in addition to the workability you'd expect from a forged iron. They're also nickel-chrome plated for classic appearance and protection."--Cobra website

The subtle language, and the price, lead me to the opinion that they are form forged.

Here is the reply I received regarding the forging of the Cobra Forged CB's. Hey now I have to learn how to kneel down on the greens like Camilo Likely split my pants if I tried that

Rick,

Thank you for your email and interest in Cobra and Titleist Golf. The Cobra
    FORGED CB irons are BILLET FORGED from S30C Carbon Steel. If you have any
    further questions please don't hesitate.

Thank you for supporting Cobra Golf. I hope you enjoy the new irons. Both
    Camilo and Kevin Na have these irons in their bag on the PGA TOUR. Please
    visit our new Cobra Tour Blog website when you have a chance. All the best! Have a great day!

Andrew Montgomery
    Titleist & Cobra Clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Rick,

Thank you for your email and interest in Cobra and Titleist Golf. The Cobra
    FORGED CB irons are BILLET FORGED from S30C Carbon Steel. If you have any
    further questions please don't hesitate.

Thank you for supporting Cobra Golf. I hope you enjoy the new irons. Both
    Camilo and Kevin Na have these irons in their bag on the PGA TOUR. Please
    visit our new Cobra Tour Blog website when you have a chance. All the best! Have a great day!

Andrew Montgomery
    Titleist & Cobra Clubs
    Peterson you golfpig what a catch. You got billet forged and not form forged irons.
    Way to go buddy!!! I bet you were real happy to find out the true 'low down' from Titleist on these bad boys. I'm hoping you let me hit a few shots with them at Mitchell this spring. They look pretty sweet. Now I have to build my billet forged irons so I can look good too
    Kind regards, Harry

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    You got billet forged and not form forged irons
    What's the difference?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    This is kzg's definition, from their website:

True forgings are double-forged with a 50 ton air hammer and then hand ground and hand polished to exact specifications. The result is that all voids (air pockets) and any imperfections in the metal are eliminated, and the molecular structure is so tightly compressed that you get a consistent shot on every hit. The feel of forged is as soft as butter, the workability exceptional. It is these characteristics of consistency, feel and workability that are sought by better players and touring professionals.
    Because avid players tend to play with forged irons, often in a blade style, many people incorrectly believe that forgings are difficult to play and are not designed for the mid to high handicappers. That is not true. The manufacturing process affects the metal characteristics, whereas the style and design of the iron head affects the playability of the club.
    And, please don’t be fooled. Many manufacturers mark their clubs “forged” when in fact they are cast and then slightly squeezed under moderately high temperatures. These "fake-forged" clubs are sold under numerous names: “form forged”, “precision forged”, “coin forged”, and sometimes flat out mis-represented as “forged”. We’re amazed at how many people are fooled, even PGA Tour players. After these players hit a true forged iron, they are amazed at the difference in feel, consistency and workability.

http://www.kzgolf.com/techtalk.aspx

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar
    I am very happy for Golfbum to have made such a good deal.

I remain convinced, however, that if you had irons cast of S30C carbon steel, otherwise identical specs to the Cobra forged cb, no one could tell the difference.

That is, there would be no discernible difference in the feel at impact, or in the flight of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by rhh7 View Post
    I am very happy for Golfbum to have made such a good deal.

I remain convinced, however, that if you had irons cast of S30C carbon steel, otherwise identical specs to the Cobra forged cb, no one could tell the difference.

That is, there would be no discernible difference in the feel at impact, or in the flight of the ball.
    Oh trust me I can tell the difference. I went from cast irons to forged irons and from the first iron shot I hit with the forged I could tell the difference.

Friends of mine have hit my irons along side their cast irons and they can feel the difference. You just have to experience it yourself. The ball comes off softer for one thing. You can control the ball flight better. Two main things I noticed when I switched to forged.

Quote Originally Posted by rhh7 View Post

Most experts will say that even tour players cannot tell the difference between 2 identical heads, 1 made from carbon steel forged and the same cast from stainless.

5 or 6 years ago when my son was a Junior he got a set of 20 year old MacGregor LH'ed billet forged Jack Nicklaus Muirfield blades [2-iron to PW]. The first week he hit them stock on the range before we ripped them apart and 'balanced and blueprinted' the set with new heads. They were 20 year old heads and weathered so to speak. He kept telling me that there was something wrong with the 2-iron. He said it felt different than the other heads 3 to PW. We wanted to get the factory spec's on the heads so we wrote MacGregor an email requesting a .pdf of their sales brochure. Then we noticed the 2-iron was cast stainless in the LH'ed offering only, due to projected low sales. In RH'ed the 2-iron was billet forged.

My son picked out the cast head as being different. Was it due to feel or sound at impact, I do not know as he didn't wear ear plugs when he hit the shots, but he did pick out the one different club from the other 8 irons that were the same.
    Kind regards, Harry

To me the difference between cast and forged is this. It feels like the ball does not come off the club as harshly. There is just a different sound and feel to it. A well struck ball with forged irons just seems to come off a little softer IMO. Kind of has the sound of "CLICK" not CLACK"
    I will give you a report on the Cobra's once the season starts and I play a few rounds with them to compare them to my old Wishon's.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    These have got to be pretty soft(even though cast) if they can be bent 10 degrees.

http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/products...ottom-_-bottom
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information