100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    8 Iron RobC is on a distinguished road

Correcting a block off the tee

While I'm replying to other enquiries on much the same thing, I wonder if there's other tips out there to help me with high blocks off the tee. I'm 5'7", a lefty in golf, and play a 45 inch Titleist 975J Driver with reg flex Penley shaft, and more often than not I start the ball down the middle only to see it fade badly to the left and off the fairway. I get anywhere from 210 - 230 carry with this shot. Any ideas welcomed. Any corrective action will have to result in a controlled fade as I have tried and cannot learn to hit a draw.
    "Successful people appear to have blinders on. They go forward...know exactly what they're going to do...and by God they don't look sideways." - Jack Nicklaus

3 Wood golfdoc is on a distinguished road

Swing Path

The first thing you need to do is figure out what type of swing path you have.

An outside-in path will most likely result in either a fade or a slice.

I do a Weir-type waggle (have been for few years to keep club on plane) and would have to say my swing path is correct, inside to out, which is why I can't figure out what else I'm doing wrong.

I think I'm blocking at impact, which to me means I'm not rolling over my hands through impact. I can correct it sometimes, but when I get lazy of course revert to the block. I need something to trigger consistency.
    "Successful people appear to have blinders on. They go forward...know exactly what they're going to do...and by God they don't look sideways." - Jack Nicklaus

3 Wood golfdoc is on a distinguished road

Difference

A block normally starts off centre. If you are simply blocking your drives, they would start left of centre and stay left on a fairly straight line left.

If you start the ball down the middle and then it fades significantly off the fairway, then it is more of a slice.

If you are blocking, it is most likely your weight shift getting too far ahead and your hands can't catch up.

Thanks. I'll go home and go through my magazines to look for a slice correction and see what that does for me.

Thread Information