CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

Mike Weir to play Fred Couples at Crowbush Cove.

For any of you heading down to PEI the end of July, you might want to take in this event. Making the Connection golf event to be held at Crowbush Cove.

If its the same as last years Nicklaus vs Watson event at Dundarave (PEI) it aired on Global TV two weeks after it was shot and editted ... Front 9 was a 2-hour show on the Saturday, and the Back 9 another 2-hour show on the Sunday ...

It is confirmed that Mike Weir will be playing and good sources according to Bob Weeks of Scoregolf says the other golfer is Fred Couples.
    See Bob Weeks article from this morning.
    http://www.scoregolf.com/blog/bob-we...-PEI-event.cfm

If its Freddy, then it will be very entertaining and great golf.
    Fred does terrific in these events as he has proven on all those "Shell Wonderful World of Golf" events he has won. Fred is also great with the camera, and fans while playing these rounds. Mike is excellent with the fans as well.

In addition, it is a bit of a "home coming" for both Weir and Couples, as they participated in the 1998 Skins Game held at Crowbush Cove.

Fred will have great memories of Crowbush Cove where he won the 1998 Skins Game with 10 Skins worth $220,000. He defeated, Mark O'Meara (4 skins); Mike Weir (3 skins); and John Daly (1 skin).

Will be a terrific event !!

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Very Cool!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

5 Wood AndrewMGA is on a distinguished road AndrewMGA's Avatar
    That is too cool, Our yearly golf trip is on P.E.I this year from July 28-Aug 5th....going to have to try and check this out.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh im there the last week of June. Freddy is my fave player!!!

7 Iron golfchick07 is on a distinguished road
    would make a perfect summer destination for holidays!!! Very Cool!!!!

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Awesome. My son and I are driving to nfld end of July and planning to golf in PEI on the way. This is just wicked. I sure hope it is Freddy.

Here is an excellent "Heli Golf Guide" tour of Crowbush. Has both the overview of the entire course and individual holes.
    http://www.worldwidegolfguide.com/hg..._overview.html

Played there last summer, and it was "awesome". Lived up to all the "hype" !!!

My favourite hole is #16, especially as you look back from the green towards the large sand dunes and beach.

Other favourites are #6, #7, #8, and #11 which has a great elevated view of entire course, beach and ocean.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Awesome!! I'll be home at that time as well......and I know that the tickets will be waiting for me

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Anybody know how to get tickets for this?

Quote Originally Posted by jsttaylor View Post
    Anybody know how to get tickets for this?
    Here is a link to the Legends of Golf site and News Release
    http://legendsofgolfpei.com/index.ph...1017476&lang=E

At the end of the "News Release" it says:
    "Mike Weir’s competition in the 2007 Making the Connection Legends of Golf event will be announced in the coming weeks along with event ticket information."

Also, lists the following person for more info:

MacDougall, Sherry
    Communications Officer
    Tourism

vCard
    (902) 368-5535
    (902) 368-4438

Shaw Building
    North 3rd Floor

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    My wife and I were there for the 1998 event, and I can confirm that it's a great spot to see a skins game. For those of you who weren't there, my recollection is that had Mike been putting at all, he would have walked away with most of the money. If you have a chance to see the boys in action, go. You won't regret it. More than that, you'll have an opportunity to play some very fine courses.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    My wife and I were there for the 1998 event, and I can confirm that it's a great spot to see a skins game. For those of you who weren't there, my recollection is that had Mike been putting at all, he would have walked away with most of the money. If you have a chance to see the boys in action, go. You won't regret it. More than that, you'll have an opportunity to play some very fine courses.
    I was there in '98 as well. While I don't recall Mike putting poorly but the two things that do stick in my mind from that Skins Game was how they made a tough course look very easy and John Daly walking up to the practice tee, grabbing his driver and without so much as a practice swing picked the top ball off of the ball pyramid, without disturbing another ball, sending it well past the 300 yard sign.

I didn't see John do that, but I did see him play one of the holes (and it wasn't a par 3, but I can't remember which hole it was) with his putter. I have never seen anyone hit a ball so far with the flat stick. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I was there in '98 as well. While I don't recall Mike putting poorly but the two things that do stick in my mind from that Skins Game was how they made a tough course look very easy and John Daly walking up to the practice tee, grabbing his driver and without so much as a practice swing picked the top ball off of the ball pyramid, without disturbing another ball, sending it well past the 300 yard sign.

I didn't see John do that, but I did see him play one of the holes (and it wasn't a par 3, but I can't remember which hole it was) with his putter. I have never seen anyone hit a ball so far with the flat stick. Amazing.
    Yes, I heard from someone who was there that Daly used his putter off the tee on one hole and drove it farther than most amateurs drives. Must have been something to witness that..............???

Here is an article written by Andrew Clark for the Financial Post in 1998. Andrew was covering the Skins game at Crowbush.
    http://slam.canoe.ca/GolfUpdate/aug22_ahitchhike.html
    Read the last comment when a Couples was asked in 1998 if he would holiday in PEI. His answer, "before I die, I will come back"............

And it looks like Freddy is COMING BACK...........!!!

Bob Weeks (ScoreGolf) posted on his blog that "Fred Couples won’t be playing in that event in PEI. He’s been replaced and all I’m allowed to tell you is that the second golfer is in the top-10 in the world."

Top 10 in the world rankings..........interesting...............any guess who that could be............ Here are the current world rankings http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/2007/186.html

Read Bobs blog "Notes from a day on the range"
    http://www.scoregolf.com/blog/bob-we...-the-range.cfm

"Spent yesterday grabbing interviews for our TSN Masters preview shows and spoke to many of the top players in the field including sit downs with Mike Weir and Stephen Ames."
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

The relevant PEI site for this event states that it will be played on July 29th and 30th. If that is so, then I can't imagine that Mike Weir will be there either. Isn't the Canadian Open being played from the 26th to the 29th? You can't be playing in two places at once, unless you aren't planning to make the cut at the Canadian. So, what are the new dates for the Island event?

The relevant PEI site for this event states that it will be played on July 29th and 30th. If that is so, then I can't imagine that Mike Weir will be there either. Isn't the Canadian Open being played from the 26th to the 29th? You can't be playing in two places at once, unless you aren't planning to make the cut at the Canadian. So, what are the new dates for the Island event?
    Sunday, July 29th is the ProAm day. Mike has already said he will not be there. Lets hope he is busy that day winning the Canadian Open. He is only coming for the Monday, July 30th competition round.
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Woo Hoo - July 30 is my Birthday - Come on Mikey, win one for the Hacker!!

IMG Sports management is involved with this event.
    http://www.imgworld.com/events/#go=Golf,Sports,1,10

Here is a list of top IMG golf clients:

IMG builds personal branding power for the world's best golfers.

IMG helps the world's best golfers maximize their earnings potential on and off the playing green. As the global marketing appeal of golf continues to grow, IMG keeps its clients at the forefront of opportunities to build their personal brands and extend their careers into diverse areas.
    IMG’s champion leader board of more than 120 professional golfers worldwide includes:
    • Paula Creamer
    • Luke Donald
    • Sergio Garcia
    • Retief Goosen
    • Nancy Lopez
    • Colin Montgomerie
    • Jack Nicklaus
    • Arnold Palmer
    • Vijay Singh
    • Annika Sorenstam
    • Camilo Villegas
    • Mike Weir
    • Tiger Woods
    My guess is the other golfer is also from IMG as is Mike. He is in the top ten current rankings.............Then my guess is its either Vijay or Retief...........
    Then flipping a coin, I would say its Vijay.............

We will have to wait and see.........??

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I was there as well.

Daly did this on the 18th hole.

Most amazing to me was Mark O'Meara...

We were standing in the landing area on 18 and O'Meara hit 3 drives (regulation and 2 playoffs) that all landed within about 2 yards of each other - VERY consistent.

Weir is Playing Vijay at Crowbush !!!

IT IS VIJAY !!!!!

Vijay Singh will join Canada’s Mike Weir for the Making the Connection Legends of Golf event in P.E.I. July 29 – 30 at Crowbush Cove Golf Course.
    http://scoregolf.com/articles/news/A...ction-made.cfm

Thread Information