100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Never have had this problem only clubs that have ever matched in my bag are the irons.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    I play what I find works best.
    .....That's me 100%

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    I don't consider myself to have "Geofferia Syndrome" but when I take a look at my bag, it is all Ping. From the driver, to the hybrid, to the irons and the putter. I have no fairway woods in the bag though. I need to find a good fairway wood. Suggestions?
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I have 3 different manufacturers in the bag right now, so I would have to say no.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I have 3 different manufacturers in the bag right now, so I would have to say no.
    ....I have six.....I'm so ashamed

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    i have 5

- TaylorMade
    - Titleist
    - Callaway
    - Cleveland
    - Scotty Cameron (and NO Scotty Cameron is not Titleist)

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    All Nike too, except for a scotty putter.
    Blades, Utility 18*,T40 3 and 5 woods and raw nike wedges, 53 and bent 59.
    Just picked up the last of 2 S SQ tour drivers today at GT.
    Sweet.
    Bite, Bite!

Birdie golfin-buddy is on a distinguished road golfin-buddy's Avatar
    Take a look at the bag. GEoff and Jarred know why!
    Callaway baby!

Quote Originally Posted by golfin-buddy View Post
    Callaway baby!
    well when u dont pay for the stuff... its easy to play all one company

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Callaway baby!
    Oh yeah, the joys of free pie.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

mmmmmmmm free piiiiiiiie (insert best homer impression)

Callaway baby!
    ......Hey!!! most of my bag is filled with the Callaway family, It also has a lot of second cousins once removed.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I play what works...that I can get cheap. It just so happens that that means my irons and wedges are all cleveland, but my fairway is a hogan and the driver is a bridgestone. I have been really impressed with my cleveland stuff, but never liked the look of their fairways, and you couldn't pay me to use a 460 cc monster, no matter what the brand.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    From an article I wrote last year ...
    MYTH # 1: The Best Golf Clubs Come From A Single Name Brand Manufacturer

Ø This is what the OEM’s would like you to believe since many times they sign a tour professional to a full bag of clubs. Money talks and many pro’s take the guaranteed $’s.
    Ø Considering there are 6 types of clubs [driver, fairway woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, and putter], is it logical to assume that a single OEM has the best designs for all 6 club heads?
    Ø Quite frankly, the best set that will result in the largest improvement gains is a mixed set.
    Kind regards, Harry

Quote Originally Posted by TourIQ View Post
    From an article I wrote last year ...
    MYTH # 1: The Best Golf Clubs Come From A Single Name Brand Manufacturer

Ø This is what the OEM’s would like you to believe since many times they sign a tour professional to a full bag of clubs. Money talks and many pro’s take the guaranteed $’s.
    Ø Considering there are 6 types of clubs [driver, fairway woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, and putter], is it logical to assume that a single OEM has the best designs for all 6 club heads?
    Ø Quite frankly, the best set that will result in the largest improvement gains is a mixed set.

But I never said or asked if I thought anyone believed the best clubs came from a single name brand manufacturer. All I asked is if anyone preferred playing all one brand in their bag. Who makes the best clubs, be it drivers or irons or wedges, well that's a different thread entirely.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Ace shovellover is on a distinguished road shovellover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Does anyone else suffer from this?

Not sure why, but when I find some equipment I like, I like to set my whole bag up with that brand. My recent Bridgestone set up is the furthest I've ever gone with the one brand set up:

Driver: Bridgestone J33R 460
    Fwy Wds: Bridgestone J33 3 wd (I hope)
    Bridgestone J33 5wd
    Irons: Bridgestone J33 Combos
    Wedges: Precept/Bridgestone Prototypes 52/60
    Putters: Now this is the only non-Bstone club in my bag only because the Tourstage putters are very rare and most times expensive: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Laguna or Nickent Pipe (automatic from 5 ft and in)
    Bag: Bridgestone grey carry bag
    Accessories: 2 Bridgestone hats, 1 Bridgestone visor, Bridgestone Umbrella, 2 Bridgestone gloves, 2 Bridgestone towels, Precept/Bridgestone U-Tri Tour balls

There, I think that's it.
    I'd like to do that, & have tried to do that, but i always end up with a mix because interesting or just plain good deals present themselves.

My latest was going all Cleveland. So far all my woods have become TMs. Weird how that keeps happening.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    My 2007 bag will consist of
    Adams Driver
    Titleist 904 F fairway woods
    Cobra Forged CB Irons (last years irons were Wishon's)
    2 TaylorMade Mid Rescues (could be replaced by the 3-4 Cobra irons)
    3 TaylorMade RAC Wedges
    Yes Tracy II Putter

I am not loyal to one manufacturer. I will use what I think works best for me.
    However I see nothing wrong with a setup like Geoff's. To each his own, if you feel good using those clubs then use them.
    The Most important thing is the number you write on the scorecard after you finish the 18th hole!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Lob Wedge TheNextGr8_1 is on a distinguished road
    Iam a loyal Titleist guy, because they work best for me! (or its all in my head)

983k w/aldila VS proto
    904f 17*
    585h 19*
    690mb 3-PW
    54* SM Vokey
    60* Cleveland rtg (prob replace later)
    Scotty Cameron Newport Terillium

I see Titleist as more of a players club, and all others as game improvement clubs lol

Steve

2 Iron goto10 is on a distinguished road
    Brand loyalty like that limit's the ho'age potential too much IMO.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Have you met Geoff??

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goto10 View Post
    Brand loyalty like that limit's the ho'age potential too much IMO.
    actually I think its the opposite. When Geoff switches to Taylor Made next week, there are 14 new clubs that are now on the market!
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

2 Iron goto10 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    actually I think its the opposite. When Geoff switches to Taylor Made next week, there are 14 new clubs that are now on the market!
    This is true!!!

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Nice, so I'm not alone. And I know of at least one other one brand guy, c'mon Denny, speak up. Or should I say Mr. Titleist.
    Well I'll back you up on this Geoff. I like all my stuff to be the same brand, for me there's only one brand in golf Titleist. Everything else just looks weird to me.

I have:
    Titleist 905T,
    904F 15 & 19,
    690.CB 2-PW,
    Vokey Raw 54& 58
    Scotty Phantom Mallet 2.
    Titleist carry bag and staff bag.
    3 Titleist towels, Titleist umbrella, around 6 Titleist hats, Titleist valuables fleece bag, Scotty Divot tool, 3 pair Footjoy shoes, 3 Footjoy wind shirts, 3 Footjoy gloves, a few pairs of Footjoy socks and of course I play a Titleist Pro V1X. Acushnet loves me! To bad they won't give me a free box of balls or something! The only thing I was looking at recently was Lances Sunday bag to use as a range bag and a Titleist golf shirt, which are crazy hard to find.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    I think that poster "TheNextGr8 1" had it pretty accurate, it's all in our heads. If something "looks" right to us and we feel we could clobber it, and do on first hit, then we're satisfied.

I find that I'm a club specific brand guy. My first great driver was my Callaway Great Big Bertha 7.5* beast and it's fantastic. Now I hit a Callaway FT-3 Fusion 9* and love it. 3wd I bought is a Strong 3 Big Bertha Warbird (13*) and it's getting old now and need to upgrade soon.

Irons I've always enjoyed the look of the MP line of Mizuno irons and blades in general. I could never play Callaway irons because they look like Harvey Penick's Little Red Book on a stick - bulky and an inch thick! I have hit Callaway's before (4some member's bag) and they went like rockets, but I think that was lucky hits!

I've always used Cleveland wedges, however that's because I could never afford Titleist Spin Milled and will be buying them at some point this spring. I have hit them and they are really nice.

First "good" putter I had was a used Scotty Cameron. Although I loved the putter, I love the blade style putters and bought a Ping G5i Tess at the beginning of last year and love it.

That's my bag and reasonings! I have grown comfortable with Callaway woods, love the look of Mizuno irons, Titleist wedges and Ping putters. I know there are other ones out there that are great, but sometimes comfort > everything else.

Scott
    aka Fally

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    If TaylorMade made a 50 degree wedge I could see me having an all TM bag (with exception of the putter) later this year
    they do have a 50* wedge. A Rac Tp GW

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Interesting comment Colby, but I find most manufacturers offer a variety of equipment within any given line of clubs. So in today's world of fittings, unlimited shaft choices and lessons I can usually find something that works from pretty much any manufacturer. For me its looks first. If I like the look, I'll give it a try and go from there.
    Hmmm...Not sure I agree with that Geoff. I spent one week day in GT in Edmonton and tried EVERY fairway wood with every possible shaft that they had in stock and I decided on the Mizuno F-50 4 and 7 wood. I mean maybe personally for you, feel or whatever might not be as important, or for others, some other factors might be more important. Not every manufacturer caters to every type of player.

For example, the Titleist fairway woods aren't really catering to the mid to higher handicap players, so finding something from them might not be easy even with different shaft combos.

I for one am not on the one manufacturer bandwagon. I like to try out as much as I can before I buy something, unless of course it's a great deal online or something that I can't pass up.

My bag looks like this for Arizona with the possibility for a couple additions.

Driver(s)- Titleist 905R 10.5* w/ V2, Titleist 905T w/YS-6+
    Fairway Woods - Mizuno F-50's, 4 and 7 woods
    Irons- Titleist 695cb's w/ Project X 5-9 iron
    Wedges- Cleveland 48* CG11, Cleveland 50* CG10, rac TP Black 54*, 58*
    Putter(s)- Odyssey White Hot XG #9, Yes! Victoria
    Ball- Titleist ProV1.

I'm thinking of possibly switching irons for Mizuno or something else with a soft feel. I really like the CB's but I find like most everyone has, they have a bit of a "clicky" feel rather than the soft buttery feel of Mizuno. I'm also thinking of possibly replacing the rac TP blacks with either CG10's of the same loft or a couple of spin milled. I find I can't spin the ball as well with these TP's as I was hoping and the feel around the green isn't great.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Hmmm...Not sure I agree with that Geoff. I spent one week day in GT in Edmonton and tried EVERY fairway wood with every possible shaft that they had in stock and I decided on the Mizuno F-50 4 and 7 wood. I mean maybe personally for you, feel or whatever might not be as important, or for others, some other factors might be more important. Not every manufacturer caters to every type of player.

For example, the Titleist fairway woods aren't really catering to the mid to higher handicap players, so finding something from them might not be easy even with different shaft combos.

I for one am not on the one manufacturer bandwagon. I like to try out as much as I can before I buy something, unless of course it's a great deal online or something that I can't pass up.

My bag looks like this for Arizona with the possibility for a couple additions.

Driver(s)- Titleist 905R 10.5* w/ V2, Titleist 905T w/YS-6+
    Fairway Woods - Mizuno F-50's, 4 and 7 woods
    Irons- Titleist 695cb's w/ Project X 5-9 iron
    Wedges- Cleveland 48* CG11, Cleveland 50* CG10, rac TP Black 54*, 58*
    Putter(s)- Odyssey White Hot XG #9, Yes! Victoria
    Ball- Titleist ProV1.

I'm thinking of possibly switching irons for Mizuno or something else with a soft feel. I really like the CB's but I find like most everyone has, they have a bit of a "clicky" feel rather than the soft buttery feel of Mizuno. I'm also thinking of possibly replacing the rac TP blacks with either CG10's of the same loft or a couple of spin milled. I find I can't spin the ball as well with these TP's as I was hoping and the feel around the green isn't great.
    Good points, but like I said, "pretty much any manufacturer". Titleist is a bit of an exception, they tend to only offer one line of clubs (except for irons). But a company like TM, you would probably be able to find what you need with the R7 ST or R7 TI line of fwy wds. Perhaps a V-steel.....you kind of get what I mean now.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I have a mix of clubs in my bag reflecting what works for me, with the purchase price being a significant factor in determining what makes it into the bag.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    they do have a 50* wedge. A Rac Tp GW
    that pic looks like the normal RAC, not the TP. The TP has the flags where the RAC logo is.....also TM's site doesn't mention anything less than a 52.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Good points, but like I said, "pretty much any manufacturer". Titleist is a bit of an exception, they tend to only offer one line of clubs (except for irons). But a company like TM, you would probably be able to find what you need with the R7 ST or R7 TI line of fwy wds. Perhaps a V-steel.....you kind of get what I mean now.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I sort of meant on my part, it's not every company that works for every person depending on what they are looking for. Taylor Made happens to be a company with a wide array of selection.

Thread Information