100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tourny?

5 Iron Dustin is on a distinguished road

Tourny?

Anyone ever think of mabye having a golf tournament with everyone who posts on Ottawa Golf?

Could be fun, not sure if we could get enough people etc etc.

Oh well, just bored and needed a study break!

Dustin

Pitching Wedge jeff026 is on a distinguished road
    Funny you just mention that ... I just droped a message on Dan asking him the same question ... Let's see if we can get this thing rolling

Cio
    Jeff026

I don't know anything about organzing a tourny, but would love to help if there would be enough people wanting to do this.

Any thoughts from anyone else? There are are 179 people registered with this board, i think we could get enough if people spoke up

Dustin

jazman

Count me in

Would not have to be a big deal, the trick would be getting the time for a large group at this time of year. I would be willing to chip in(!) and help.

jazmancan@hotmail.com

I thought some time around the third week of september. It would give everybody enough time.
    Lets talk about it :roller
    Jeff026

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

post a poll

Hey

Try a poll, perhaps we could get enough people to answer one for a change. This way, nobody has to chime in with their names and phone numbers until we see whether there's enough interest.

spidey
    Last edited by spidey; 08-10-2001 at 10:11 AM.

7 Wood chad is on a distinguished road

Count me in, that seems like it would be a lot of fun!
    Chad

Gap Wedge HÄnd|cÄp is on a distinguished road
    I'm There ! woohoo!
    You lifted your head...grrrrr!

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road
    sounds good bring it on...

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

tourny

i will be there too...
    i have run topurnaments before and can help but we to know a better number of people and what type of game to play (one man, two man four ball......) also need to know if food is invoved..

Thumbs up Make it simple

Being a first, I think the main focus is to get OG members out there playing a round of golf. Get some feedback from the membership about how much they've used the OG package this past season or even as how to improve it for next year.

The format of the game could be included in a poll as mention above.

For instance, handicaps could also be used to create foresomes and make it interesting for skins games as an exemple.(ei: 50¢/skin)

I also think the timming is very important. If we target mid to end of September, we would probably have no problem booking the course of our choice.

As for food and prizes, I don't think its a priority ... the food is always available - don't want to get bogdown in advance $$$ to reserve a special menu (unless the course offers it voluntarily)and as for prizes, I don't think we play golf because there are prizes to be won ... But on the other hand, if there are some potential sponsers out there looking to get involve in the OG.com familly ... by all means do ...

Anything along those lines is ... COOL :

Keep it simple

Cio :dazzler1

Jeff026

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    OK, I would like to do this too, but I have a few concerns...

Jeff026: Your thoughts pretty much echo what I tried to do for the club members this season. It is not that simple.

The OG Club voted and decided on a skins game, and to hold it at Cloverdale. Since it was a "simple" event I planned it for one month later, since we did not need prizes and lots of organization.
    Since our group was to be small (50 people or so) I decided not to commit to a dinner, but to let people order whatever they liked afterward.

Several things happened.

1) The course imposed manditory carts - many people did not like the idea of carts on a walkable course. If we had more than 50 they would have to bring in more carts and then they would have a surcharge of $5/player

2) I got several emails expressing dissapointment about no dinner and no prizes. Cloverdale has only a tent and no hall for dinner.

3) In the first week after announcing the date I got 0 commitments and many complaints about the final format even though it was all voted on by the members.

4) I had some negative feedback about the potential for sandbaggers taking all the money from the skins game since they were all on their honour to just inform us of thier hcp with no controls in place. This is a REAL concern in a skins format. Skins can only work if you can confirm everyones handicap.

5) The course wanted a significant deposit to confirm the date and I had no firm commitments so I had to cancel it.

Finally I decided that if we were going to do this we needed to do it right, and that meant the whole nine yards... good prizes a hall and a dinner, and enough people to have a shotgun start - 80 for a 9 hole shotgun start (play 18 but the shotgun takes half the course).

Therefore we decided on next year when we could get that many people and do it right with LOTS of notice and a good deal of lead time to get commitments and collect deposits from the players before we needed to pay the deposit to the course.

The only way around the "anonymous commitments" is to set up a secure server to take visa numbers as people sign up. That is the only way it could be an official OttawaGolf event.

Skins will not work for the reasons outlined above, prizes are needed, but we would need some help getting prizes together in such a short time frame.

I think that the Meadows would be a good choice for this event as they are very well set up for tournaments. They charge $3500 for a 80 player shotgun on a weekend ($43.50 per player includes carts) plus dinner @ $20-25 depending on the menu
    It will probably land in the $75 per player range, allowing a bit for prizes since it is hard to get enough donations, we would need to purchase a few.

I would consider the end of September to be the earliest possible date, based on the last experience.

Opinons?

This will be a weekend, right ....?

Yes I think it would need to be on a weekend.
    I will call the Meadows and find out more about what their commitment policy is.

Stay tuned...

I can only speak for myself when i don't want to pay $25.00 for dinner when i can grab a sandwich there for $2.50.

Not sure if they have a bbq set up, but chicken burgers etc etc would be nice and i imagine not that much.

It will be impossible to make everyone 100% happy.

Dinner (lack of) was an issue when we tried it before. I was told in no uncertain terms "Without dinner and prizes it is not a very "full featured" event, it is just a golf get together." This seemed to be a spoiler when people were trying to get their friends to play.

If this event is to have the OttawaGolf name, it must be done right, or OttawaGolf will look bad.

Originally posted by Dustin
    I can only speak for myself when i don't want to pay $25.00 for dinner when i can grab a sandwich there for $2.50.

Not sure if they have a bbq set up, but chicken burgers etc etc would be nice and i imagine not that much.
    Even a box Lunch is $6. I have not seen a $2.50 sandwich in quite some time. Last time I bought a sandwich at a golf course it was $4.50, but your point is well taken.

Unfortunately burgers are not offered in the dinner menu, just for lunch.
    Dinner is $17 - $25
    http://www.ottawagolf.com/meadows
    Click on Tournaments

:( Wow ! I guess it can't be that simple after all ...

I understand completely Dan, it must be done the right way ... the whole 9 yards ... as you said earlier.

Meadows is very well set up and can handle pretty much anything. Its also close to the city and easy to get to for everyone.

A maximum of 75.00$ seems to be the norme for a tournament. When you consider that everything is included its a pretty good deal ...
    For those undecided out there, I'll give you an example;
    We're holding a tournament at work in september and it cost us 45.00$ w/cart (no meal and very little prizes ...) and, we'll probably end up spending more than 80,00$ for the whole day. So Dan's pricing is in the ball park...

Cio
    Jeff026

It is not MY pricing.

I have only added about $5 per player for prizes. We will need a good number of donations to make it work.

Unhappy Excuse me

Ok Dan, maybe i could have said it another way
    I didn't think you were gonna make a cut on it
    so what's it gonna cost,(apprx) ...
    if we go the full 9 yards ???

Cio
    Jeff026

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

tourny

sorry to deflate you all but meadows doe snot have the right attitute for golf tournaments
    been to a couple of tournys in +35C heat and there was NO beverage cart to be seen and the water jugs are too far apart
    this makes for a very tiring game
    only one opinion but then,..................just a thought to think about

Thread Information