CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black Golds?

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar

Black Golds?

anyone ever use these shafts? what are they comparable too?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    http://www.truetemper.com/golf/press05_16.asp

NTRODUCING BLACK GOLD® FROM TRUE TEMPER®
    Stepless Profile…Descending Weight…Frequency Tuned.

Memphis , TN …True Temper is proud to welcome a new member to its “gold” family of products. Complimenting Dynamic Gold ® , its constant weight counterpart, the new Black Gold ® features a stepless, descending weight design meaning that the shafts get progressively lighter from long iron to short iron lengths. Black Gold features the same tour-proven ball flight of Dynamic Gold while offering a unique feel due to its descending weight properties. Its stepless profile also contributes to its distinct feel at impact in addition to providing custom clubfitters the ability to pinpoint a specific finished club frequency.
    “Dynamic Gold is constant weight, meaning that the 3-iron shaft weighs the same as the 8–iron shaft, says Scott Hennessy , President / CEO. “While Dynamic Gold continues to be the overwhelming choice of professionals and top amateurs, there is a segment of players who prefer descending weight shafts because of their distinctive feel as the clubs progress into the shorter irons.” He continues, “Our goal with Black Gold was to produce the best shaft possible for this player segment.”
    Utilizing True Temper’s proprietary manufacturing processes, Black Gold’s critical shaft parameters are held to exacting standards (consistency of the raw blank is held to within +/- 1.5 grams and the raw frequency is controlled to within +/- 2 cycles per minute) resulting in a “frequency tuned” product that combines the trimming flexibility of a stepless design with the unmatched quality and consistency that is the essence of True Temper’s “gold” heritage.
    “Frequency is just one small dimension of the overall club system,” states Graeme Horwood, Vice President of Engineering / R & D. “With Black Gold, we not only focus on finished shaft frequency, but also weight, wall thickness, balance point and the consistent taper rate of the shaft from butt to tip. This attention to detail produces what we call a ‘frequency tuned’ set of iron shafts with consistent feel and performance shot after shot and round after round.”
    “The initiative with Black Gold was to produce a stepless shaft that not only had incredible playing characteristics but unmatched consistency versus anything currently in the stepless category,” continues Hennessy. “It is our precise manufacturing process that has established True Temper’s gold series of shafts as the very best available and will position Black Gold as the most consistent stepless, frequency tuned shaft in the game today.”
    Black Gold is available in both tapered and parallel versions in R, S and X flexes. Its satin nickel finish not only reduces glare but gives it a distinctive, sleek appearance. The shaft is currently a tour only product, but will be available through all major club manufacturers and component distributors in early November 2005. Additional information is available at www.ttblackgold.com or www.truetemper.com.
    True Temper Sports is the leading manufacturer of golf shafts in the world and is consistently the number one shaft on all professional tours globally. The Company markets a complete line of shafts under the True Temper and Grafalloy shaft brands, and sells these brands in over thirty countries throughout the world. True Temper Sports employs over 850 people in ten facilities located in the United States , Europe , Japan , China and Australia
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

thanks cheif....

has anyone used them?

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I have them in my irons and so does Geoff. I've only used them in the sims but i thought they felt amazing.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I have them in my irons and so does Geoff.
    Not anymore
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Geoffs shafts are now my shafts

God almighty what is he doing now?

i think he wants it to be a suprize... hes going hickory shafts this year... he figures he will try anything to get his game back, and hey if it worked for them in the 1930s why cant it work now? lol

Even God doesn't know
    Mahatma Gandhi

Has he changed his equipment again?

Nope.. just the shafts.. Going all bamboo I believe..

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    Nope.. just the shafts.. Going all bamboo I believe..
    Yup, bamboo in A flex, with prosoft inserts. He's almost 30 for crying out loud, can't handle black gold anymore.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    spacks, you are not too far off. I'm switching to a heavier weighted graphite shaft. I need something softer on the hands and wrists. Hoping it will do the trick. I may even put pro softs in the graphite shafts as well.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    spacks, you are not too far off. I'm switching to a heavier weighted graphite shaft. I need something softer on the hands and wrists. Hoping it will do the trick. I may even put pro softs in the graphite shafts as well.

Birdie Weirfan is on a distinguished road
    They are really fantastic shafts IMO.

they look, feel and play great. Kinda like a PX but with better feel althiugh I do like the PX shafts very much.

word of caution is that the .370 shafts that I have used and set up will frequency and play wayy stiffer if you follow the TT recommended tip trim.
    you definitely need to under tip these alot from the recs.

The taper shafts sold in sets play and measure pretty much bang on

Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post

You shake your head, but try waking up in the morning and when you close your hand you grimace in pain. Not fun. Not sure how my hands got that way, but I need some relief or it will be a long and painful golf season.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Your 30 not 130.. Man up LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Not sure how my hands got that way
    no comment

Sand Wedge ghudson is on a distinguished road
    Geoff, Repeated shock is what the the sports therapist told me. Hope you don't get trigger figures, imagane having to pry your figures open because they are cramped into a C shape. Waking up in the morning top it "the worst" Good news no cure! He told me to try hard not to shock them and play through the pain It goes away took about 3 months....... ghud

So what make of shafts are they?

Aldila TC Pro 100s

Are those the MLTI's.?

Nope, these ones:

http://www.golfshaftsdepot.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=92

Apparently they came out around the same time as the NV iron shafts, so needless to say they didn't get too much press time. But are supposed to play very similar and of great quality.

Well i hope you like em dude, i sure didn't mind my TP's when they were shafted in graphite. Just a llittle too high of a ballflight in my mid to high irons.

I don't mind a high ball flight. I'm not a high spin iron player, so a little higher flight will keep the ball on the green a little more.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    http://www.truetemper.com/golf/press05_16.asp

NTRODUCING BLACK GOLD® FROM TRUE TEMPER®
    Stepless Profile…Descending Weight…Frequency Tuned.
    Memphis , TN …True Temper is proud to welcome a new member to its “gold” family of products. Complimenting Dynamic Gold ® , its constant weight counterpart, the new Black Gold ® features a stepless, descending weight design meaning that the shafts get progressively lighter from long iron to short iron lengths. Black Gold features the same tour-proven ball flight of Dynamic Gold while offering a unique feel due to its descending weight properties. Its stepless profile also contributes to its distinct feel at impact in addition to providing custom clubfitters the ability to pinpoint a specific finished club frequency.
    “Dynamic Gold is constant weight, meaning that the 3-iron shaft weighs the same as the 8–iron shaft, says Scott Hennessy , President / CEO. “While Dynamic Gold continues to be the overwhelming choice of professionals and top amateurs, there is a segment of players who prefer descending weight shafts because of their distinctive feel as the clubs progress into the shorter irons.” He continues, “Our goal with Black Gold was to produce the best shaft possible for this player segment.”
    Utilizing True Temper’s proprietary manufacturing processes, Black Gold’s critical shaft parameters are held to exacting standards (consistency of the raw blank is held to within +/- 1.5 grams and the raw frequency is controlled to within +/- 2 cycles per minute) resulting in a “frequency tuned” product that combines the trimming flexibility of a stepless design with the unmatched quality and consistency that is the essence of True Temper’s “gold” heritage.
    “Frequency is just one small dimension of the overall club system,” states Graeme Horwood, Vice President of Engineering / R & D. “With Black Gold, we not only focus on finished shaft frequency, but also weight, wall thickness, balance point and the consistent taper rate of the shaft from butt to tip. This attention to detail produces what we call a ‘frequency tuned’ set of iron shafts with consistent feel and performance shot after shot and round after round.”
    I would say this is just marketing bs from TT. They know there is a relationship [+ correlation] between weight and frequency, and they weight sort shafts so indirectly they can say frequency tuned without ever measuring stiffness of a shaft.

I suspect a full box of shafts would yield a low Cpk Product Capability based on a 3 gram range for weight. And why anyone would want descending weight which would mess up swingweight is beyong my level of comprehension, unless it better matches MOI for the set [provided the weight progression goes in the right direction]. I would also suggest that based on statistical analysis of raw weights than it might not yield a consistent weight progression throughout the set. Just another example of low quality in the golf industry, and touted as revolutionary!
    Kind regards, Harry

I would say this is just marketing bs from TT.They know there is a relationship [+ correlation] between weight and frequency, and they weight sort shafts so indirectly they can say frequency tuned without ever measuring stiffness of a shaft.
    Hi Harry. BS or not I am inclined to believe that every company out there(including heads,shafts etc) has to have good marketing in order to survive and move their products. You just could not promote a product by just claiming that this is the best product on the market. That said Projext X shafts are not even frequency matched(and you pay big $ for them) and I believe that any good clubmaker will have to do some tweaking because of tolerances.(find me a company that builds every clubhead exactly 7 grams apart AND WHERE THE LOFTS AND LIES ARE EXACTLY BANG ON I.E NO +-)

And why anyone would want descending weight which would mess up swingweight is beyong my level of comprehension

I believe this process is not only propietary to TT and is done mostly to help the ball get airbone on long irons. TT came out with Lite irons with that yield the same swingweight as the regular dynamic yet they are a lot lighter. TT is not all dark and engineers can come up with some pretty clever ideas.

Just another example of low quality in the golf industry, and touted as revolutionary!

Also called mass production.
    Mahatma Gandhi

See:
    http://truetemper.com/golf/dynamicgoldsl.asp
    Clubmaker Highlight:
    The balance point of Dynamic Gold SL allows a clubmaker to reshaft a set of Dynamic Gold irons at the same finished length with no change in swingweight!

and :

http://truetemper.com/golf/blackgold.asp

Finished Frequencies:

IronRaw Length Finished LengthR FlexS FlexX Flex

41"

39.75"300313326

40.5"

39.25"304317330
    340"38.75"309322335
    439.5"38.25"313326339
    539"37.75"317330343
    638.5"37.25"321334347
    738"36.75"326339352
    837.5"36.25"330343356
    937"35.75"334347360
    PW36.5"35.25"338351364
    Clubs measured using a Kenneth Smith Club Ruler. All measurements represent D2 SW. A change of one swing
    weight point is equal to 1 CPM for a given length. All frequency measurements taken with 5" clamp length pre-grip
    Mahatma Gandhi

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    See:
    http://truetemper.com/golf/dynamicgoldsl.asp
    Finished Frequencies:

IronRaw Length Finished LengthR FlexS FlexX Flex

41"

39.75"300313326

40.5"

39.25"304317330
    340"38.75"309322335
    439.5"38.25"313326339
    539"37.75"317330343
    638.5"37.25"321334347
    738"36.75"326339352
    837.5"36.25"330343356
    937"35.75"334347360
    PW36.5"35.25"338351364
    Clubs measured using a Kenneth Smith Club Ruler. All measurements represent D2 SW. A change of one swing
    weight point is equal to 1 CPM for a given length. All frequency measurements taken with 5" clamp length pre-grip
    I don't believe their posted #'s for minute if they just cut and glue out of the box, selecting their own shafts at random. The slope is just too near perfect without a lot of work to dial them in.
    Kind regards, Harry

If Mercury Savage could do it I just can't see how TT couldn't.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information