100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Two in a row!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Two in a row!

Two games in a row the Sens come out flat in the third period, blow a lead and end up losing.

Where's the motivation to finish a team off. Brutal, just brutal. Not a good habit to get into with the playoffs just around the corner. Maybe some veteran leadership would help???
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    This is not allowed in sport. Where's that panic button?! No team should ever let this happen to them, no matter how hard the other side tries!

www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Sarcastic or not, if you've been a Sens fan at all over the last couple of seasons this is a regular occurrence. And it doesn't matter how hard the other side tries, if your side doesn't. That third period against Atlanta the other night was terrible. Atlanta didn't play all that great, the Sens just played that bad. Losing races to pucks, give away at the blue lines.

You never hear any announcer comment on how the Senators are playing desperate to the wall hockey. But you hear announcers say it about other teams all the time.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again the coaching staff always seems to have a hard time motivating these guys. And seeing how its the same core group of guys over the last few years, they're into a habit that they probably won't be able to break.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    I have to agree Geoff. The Sens are winning games and accumulating points but are only playing to win (and sometimes not) when they should be playing to their potential and dominating certain teams.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I can't agree more - they let an easy 3 points escape them in the last two games..........let's just hope that it doesn't come back to bite them in the ass

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    Oh No! Better cancel the cup parade!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrace View Post
    unline Toronto, we have yet to plan ours
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Sarcastic or not, if you've been a Sens fan at all over the last couple of seasons this is a regular occurrence. And it doesn't matter how hard the other side tries, if your side doesn't. That third period against Atlanta the other night was terrible. Atlanta didn't play all that great, the Sens just played that bad. Losing races to pucks, give away at the blue lines.

You never hear any announcer comment on how the Senators are playing desperate to the wall hockey. But you hear announcers say it about other teams all the time.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again the coaching staff always seems to have a hard time motivating these guys. And seeing how its the same core group of guys over the last few years, they're into a habit that they probably won't be able to break.
    Over an 82 game schedule every team is inevitably gonna have stinkers and slumps, it's just the nature of sport in general. I don't think motivation is an issue - everyone, including hockey teams and players, can't be amped up every day, every game. I wish it were so, but it ain't so. Am I amped up to go to work every day? Do I give 100 percent every day? Nope. I want to, but sometimes it just isn't there. You reload, you recharge, and try again next time. Two games isn't a reason to panic. If it truely were, teams would be in chaos and the entire season would have gone down the tubes long before now.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

An interesting point from Don Brennan's Sun column today:

"
    Did Andrej Meszaros do the right thing by jumping Rene Bourque when he hit Gerber? Obviously, but the Senators paid a hefty price, as the 'Hawks tied the game on the ensuing 4-on-4."

So, what would we rather have? A Senator "do the right thing" by jumping an offending player or a Senator do that which this team has been constantly criticised for and not stand up for his 'mates and take the ensuing powerplay they would have had and either a) score to make it 4-2 with less than three minutes left or b) not score on the pp, prevent them from scoring shorthanded (easier said than done at times this year, but the odds are still against it) and have less than a minute left for Chicago to try to tie the game once the pp is complete...

Bottom line is, Messie was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. He did, and the Sens were damned.

www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Over an 82 game schedule every team is inevitably gonna have stinkers and slumps, it's just the nature of sport in general. I don't think motivation is an issue - everyone, including hockey teams and players, can't be amped up every day, every game. I wish it were so, but it ain't so. Am I amped up to go to work every day? Do I give 100 percent every day? Nope. I want to, but sometimes it just isn't there. You reload, you recharge, and try again next time. Two games isn't a reason to panic. If it truely were, teams would be in chaos and the entire season would have gone down the tubes long before now.
    I agree. And let's all face it, the regular season is irrelevant, despite how worked up we all get. the playoffs are the only thing that matters.

"
    Did Andrej Meszaros do the right thing by jumping Rene Bourque when he hit Gerber? Obviously, but the Senators paid a hefty price, as the 'Hawks tied the game on the ensuing 4-on-4."
    As far as I'm concerned this is the Jacques Martin mentality..........'I don't care what happens you don't "get physical" and risk taking a penalty'

Personally I'd rather the team play with some passion and stand-up for one another when need be even if it means that we'll lose a few that we wouldn't have if we, and I'm quoting the Great Kenny Rogers here, "turned the other cheek".

" Did Andrej Meszaros do the right thing by jumping Rene Bourque when he hit Gerber? Obviously, but the Senators paid a hefty price, as the 'Hawks tied the game on the ensuing 4-on-4."

So, what would we rather have? A Senator "do the right thing" by jumping an offending player or a Senator do that which this team has been constantly criticised for and not stand up for his 'mates and take the ensuing powerplay they would have had and either a) score to make it 4-2 with less than three minutes left or b) not score on the pp, prevent them from scoring shorthanded (easier said than done at times this year, but the odds are still against it) and have less than a minute left for Chicago to try to tie the game once the pp is complete...

Bottom line is, Messie was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. He did, and the Sens were damned.

I'm fully aware that a team can't be "amped" for a full 82 game schedule. What I'm talking about is the all too often occurrence of the Sens playing well for the first 20 or 40 minutes, dominating their opponent and then sitting back and doing nothing. Their opponent picks up their play, but the Sens don't respond. Only time I saw that was the first game of that back to back against the Sabres. First time in a long time I saw the Sens give a damn and fight back to get that game to OT and the lose in the SO. Although, with some better defence zone play the game never would've gotten to OT or the SO, but that's another issue.

The Sens were the better team through two periods against the Thrashers and then just sat back and watched the Thrashers play hockey. Same with the Blackhawk game, Sens dominated the first period. All over the Hawks' d-men in the offensive zone. And played a good second period as well. Then sit back mode in the third. Go for the kill, pot another goal or two, finish your opponent off. Two games in a row they've blown the game after leading after two periods. And they've done it way too many times in the past. I'm just tired of seeing it. A game is three periods long, play hard all three periods. Its a habit that could come back to bite them in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrace View Post

And as for this remark, I do not expect the Sens to win the cup this year. If Buffalo gets healthy they should easily make it to the cup final. But I'll be shocked if a team from the East wins the cup. I believe the strongest teams are in the west, and any one of the 8 teams that make it from the West have a shot at winning the cup.

I can't wait to watch the late playoff games from the west.

perhaps, but you only have to play 1 team from the west, not 8 of them. It's kinda irrelevant that the west is overall a stronger conference this year. Actually, they could all beat the crap out of each other and have nothing left for the final, while a team from the east could cruise through their 3 series - though I don't think that will happen.

Buffalo has the best record in the league right now.

Of course, but I just believe that the teams in the west did more to prepare themselves for the grind of the playoffs (except Anaheim and Minnesota).

If Buffalo doesn't get healthy, the east is wide open. Buffalo gets half of their injured players back they should walk to the cup final. They've been beating teams with 7-8 of their regualrs out of the line up. If it wasn't for the injuries I'm sure Buffalo would be way ahead in the overall standings. They are just too quick of a team for most others to match up against. In the new NHL speed kills, and Buffalo has it in spades.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    You're right Geoff they're fast, but they also all want to win as a team. The sens have always been a team who want to win by themselves. Spezza, Heater and alfie only seem to care about their own stats. They never play a solid back check nor do they play hard along the boards. Alfie is one of the worst captains in hockey and i've been saying it for years.. he's not a leader for the team.

And if anyone says its the coaching staff... WRONG..coaches rarelly talk to players during games, some don't even go into the dressing room between periods....its Alfie who needs to step up and be a captain to this team.

PS. i'm a leafs fan... dont you sens fans wish you had sundin and tucker?.. some boys with heart?
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    One word to describe another third period giveaway: Brutal! At least, we are next playing the Makebeleafs to get our confidence back

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post

PS. i'm a leafs fan... dont you sens fans wish you had sundin and tucker?.. some boys with heart?
    - and here I thought that you were a nice young man........

But just for the clarity sake - what exactly have Sundin and Tucker ever won???

Sundin rode Alfies coat tails to a Gold medal in the olympics but what has he ever done in the NHL??

Albatross sandbagger72 is on a distinguished road sandbagger72's Avatar
    did you see how easy crosby made his deek look on emery, like butter
    Proost!

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar

recent #'s

Four of Sens last six games have featured 3rd period let downs. not all have bit them in the rear. I Don't think they should have any problems getting focussed for the next couple of tilts.
    BTW Could you imagine if Gerber had been in nets against the Pens with the exact same result? (Weak first Goal, poor positioning on another)
    Last edited by rancherJ; 03-07-2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: bad grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post
    You're right Geoff they're fast, but they also all want to win as a team. The sens have always been a team who want to win by themselves. Spezza, Heater and alfie only seem to care about their own stats. They never play a solid back check nor do they play hard along the boards. Alfie is one of the worst captains in hockey and i've been saying it for years.. he's not a leader for the team.

And if anyone says its the coaching staff... WRONG..coaches rarelly talk to players during games, some don't even go into the dressing room between periods....its Alfie who needs to step up and be a captain to this team.

Horrid analysis.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Sundin rode Alfies coat tails to a Gold medal in the olympics but what has he ever done in the NHL
    4-0 head to head in playoff series
    (well not the yr. he was out and Roberts took over )

Quote Originally Posted by rancherJ View Post
    4-0 head to head in playoff series
    (well not the yr. he was out and Roberts took over )
    Well if that is all that Sundin and the Leafs can point to maybe he isn't the player that you all seem to think that he is.

I've always found it quite pathetic how Laugh fans measure their success by how they perform against Ottawa in the play-offs. I guess that is their coping mechanism for 40 (soon to be 41) years of futility.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    to funny Hacker!
    Its all ok....The sens have 4 points coming to them over the next 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew View Post
    to funny Hacker!
    Its all ok....The sens have 4 points coming to them over the next 2 games.

Not if they have the lead going into the third period. Hopefully they'll be tied, or better yet they'll be trailing. Maybe we'll see some emotion and hard work and dare I say it.......desperation????

I've always found it quite pathetic how Laugh fans measure their success by how they perform against Ottawa in the play-offs. I guess that is their coping mechanism for 40 (soon to be 41) years of futility.
    merely pointing out the differences of the two teams in the playoffs
    Yes 40+ yrs of futility... however because of various reasons we have really never had the horses to go deep.(poor Mgmt) The same cannot be said of the Sens, falling short of expectations. I thought this year would be different. maybe they can still get it done.
    The Sens have a chance to basically take TO out over the next few days ,stay tuned.
    Honest Question do you think Alfie is a better leader/captain than Sundin?

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    merely pointing out the differences of the two teams in the playoffs
    Yes 40+ yrs of futility... however because of various reasons we have really never had the horses to go deep.(poor Mgmt) The same cannot be said of the Sens, falling short of expectations. I thought this year would be different. maybe they can still get it done.
    The Sens have a chance to basically take TO out over the next few days ,stay tuned.
    What TO HAD that ottawa didn't have in the playoffs wasn't heart....it was a goalie. I do agree that Ottawa is lacking in the heart area, but Lalime and Barasso were never the best of performers.

As for alfie and sunding as leaders....not a fan of either of them. No European captain has ever won the stanley cup, and I don't see it happening in the near future. I'd go with alfie though, purely because of that fake stick-throw.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    Prime example of why Alfie is a poor leader. He gave the puck away to Staal the other night SHORT handed.....

now.. any other player with heart and determination would put their hand down and hussle back to try and get the puck back..

NOT alphie.. he looked like he was out for a sunday afternoon skate on the canal holding hands with his boyfriend Pierre McGuire... (ps i hate McGuire.. what a p***s that guy is)...

But my point is this.. Sundin is the hardest working player on the leafs everynight as he should be as captain and leader of a team of young players who are expected to do more then I think they're capable of. Alphie is a jerk....I'm too tired to actually think of a resonable complaint here....

Go Leafs Go... Pens win the cup this year... Gotta love Roberts
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Honest answer - I don't think that there are any European Captains that are good leaders - how many European Captains have hoisted the Cup?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Are you saying that no European is capable of being a good leader or that the NHL hasn't discovered one as yet? I bet some of your best friends are Europeans?

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Honest answer - I don't think that there are any European Captains that are good leaders - how many European Captains have hoisted the Cup?

Thread Information