100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge Darcy Tucker is on a distinguished road

head behind ball during impact

A lot of people say to keep your head behind the ball during impact. I do this all the time on my woods. But from my 5 iron to wedges I find myself having my head in line with the ball. How detrimental is this. They say this will lead to problems like coming over the top but I hardly slice and have more of a hook than anything.

8 Iron RobC is on a distinguished road
    Jack Nicklaus turns his chin slightly back before he starts his backswing in conscious effort to keep his head behind the ball. I know I hit the ball longer and more piercing if I keep my head still or do a little turn back like Jack before I swing. The trouble is remembering to do it.

I think the most important thing is to keep your head still throughout the swing, until after you've swung through the ball, rather than focusing on always having your head behind the ball. From 5 iron to wedge, of course the ball will be more back in your stance, pehaps making it awkward and even useless to follow the rule of keeping your head behind the ball. Your head will naturally be more in front, as you progress toward a wedge. So, I'd say don't worry about it, but do try to keep your head still. I think this is also one of Hogan's key tips.
    "Successful people appear to have blinders on. They go forward...know exactly what they're going to do...and by God they don't look sideways." - Jack Nicklaus

Thread Information