CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flag Stick

Pitching Wedge Del Delaplante is on a distinguished road Del Delaplante's Avatar

Flag Stick

Posted this on Toronto, but seeings how their up to their tutu's in power failures and snow, decided I might get a quick answer here......

Was doing some research for a golf article and ran across some ambiguity regarding USGA & CGA as to the official height for a flag stick. I got this reply when I googled the question:

The United States Golf Association (USGA), which defines the rules of golf in the United States, recommends that the flagstick be at least seven feet in height, although this does not appear to be a requirement.United States Golf Association DECISIONS APPLICABLE ONLY IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICAhttp://www.usga.org/playing/rules/books/decisions/usdec.html“US/17/100 Flagstick Dimensions The USGA recommends that the flagstick be at least seven feet in height and that its diameter be not greater than three-quarters of an inch from a point three inches above the ground to the bottom of the hole.”Now the key word here is recommends, they do not stipulate an official height. Why I'm asking this question has to do with the posibility of them changing the ruling regarding range finders (busnell & the like). Most of these range finders seem to take their readings from the top of the flag stick. Well if there is no "official" height to work with then these range finders could be off substantially. Does anyone know the EXACT height that the USGA and CGA are using for tournament play?
    Del

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Delaplante View Post
    Posted this on Toronto, but seeings how their up to their tutu's in power failures and snow, decided I might get a quick answer here......

Was doing some research for a golf article and ran across some ambiguity regarding USGA & CGA as to the official height for a flag stick. I got this reply when I googled the question:

The United States Golf Association (USGA), which defines the rules of golf in the United States, recommends that the flagstick be at least seven feet in height, although this does not appear to be a requirement.United States Golf Association DECISIONS APPLICABLE ONLY IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICAhttp://www.usga.org/playing/rules/books/decisions/usdec.html“US/17/100 Flagstick Dimensions The USGA recommends that the flagstick be at least seven feet in height and that its diameter be not greater than three-quarters of an inch from a point three inches above the ground to the bottom of the hole.”Now the key word here is recommends, they do not stipulate an official height. Why I'm asking this question has to do with the posibility of them changing the ruling regarding range finders (busnell & the like). Most of these range finders seem to take their readings from the top of the flag stick. Well if there is no "official" height to work with then these range finders could be off substantially. Does anyone know the EXACT height that the USGA and CGA are using for tournament play?
    Del
    .....I've seen 7 and 8 foot pins but never shorter, sometimes mixed, which can really throw you on your closer visual distance guesses. I use range finders and just aim at the flag from anywhere inside of 250 yards, yes it's true I have steady hands but it also helps to have a scan setting. The height of the pin means nothing to a laser rangefinder unlike the visual ones that you have to line up the top and the bottom of the pin to the lines to get a distance.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    I'm not sure how the height of the flagstick makes any difference to the horizontal distance to it.
    Incidentally, as you note the Decision is only applicable in the USGA area of jurisdiction (ie US & Mexico). The R&A rules, as published by the RCGA, apply in Canada. There is no recommendation re height by the R&A.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I think he is reffering to the range finders that have a gauge that uses the top of the flagstick as a measure. Not the laser finders.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Yes, thanks. Found the Bushnell via google.

Thread Information