100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm shocked!!!!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

I'm shocked!!!!

For anyone who gets the Citizen, check out the ad on page B7. I figured this would happen eventually, but not so soon. Too bad it had to happen.

And for all of those that don't get the Citizen, I'm sure someone will post the details. I'm off to work....
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Well I don't, so ya got me curious.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Par stinger is on a distinguished road

Chuck Brown is closing

Unfortunately for Ottawa, Chuck Brown is closing its last store in Ottawa.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar

Chuck Browns

Having never been in the store before, to me this is no big deal. I certainly feel bad for the owner and employees. But....

Now there is even more incentive for Golftown to hurry up and put a store up in the Orleans area. All of the former employees of Chuck Brown's could work there. It sure sucks when I have to drive an hour and 10 minutes to get out to Kanata from home.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsttaylor View Post
    Having never been in the store before, to me this is no big deal. I certainly feel bad for the owner and employees. But....

Now there is even more incentive for Golftown to hurry up and put a store up in the Orleans area. All of the former employees of Chuck Brown's could work there. It sure sucks when I have to drive an hour and 10 minutes to get out to Kanata from home.
    I totally agree. Futureshop is going up on Innes, and there is a tonne of room for another big box store so why not?
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Its a sad day. Chucks has been a staple in Ottawa for a lot of years.. I rember going there was I was 15 and druelling all over the place.. It really has gone downhill over the last couple years though.. We knew it was a matter of time.. I hope Nevada Bobs can stay in business.. Golftown is def. a killer.. And with a GT being built in the east end time will tell..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Wow terrible news, i've been shopping there for the last ten years and worked there as well. Sad to see a quality establishment have to close but i guess that's business. Cheers Chuck's!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    That's really too bad, I really like the staff at Chucks. I thought they might be able to make it once they trimmed back to just one store.

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    I totally agree. Futureshop is going up on Innes, and there is a tonne of room for another big box store so why not?
    Golftown is going beside the Walmart store in the Belfast / Industrial big box outlet. While I would prefer to have one on Innes, Belfast is closer than Kanata.
    ________
    Buy Vaporizers
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:32 AM.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    Its a sad day. Chucks has been a staple in Ottawa for a lot of years.. I rember going there was I was 15 and druelling all over the place.. It really has gone downhill over the last couple years though.. We knew it was a matter of time.. I hope Nevada Bobs can stay in business.. Golftown is def. a killer.. And with a GT being built in the east end time will tell..
    It is a sad day for sure.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    It is sad to see the demise of the Chuck Brown store(s) as they have represented golf in Ottawa for almost 4 decades. Golftown has been successful in achieving one of its goals of putting the smaller guys out of business.

With the current Golftown consistently exceeding its daily quota, it would seem that there would be room for two “giant” golf stores in Ottawa, particularly because there are plans for an east end Golftown. Had Shannon et al closed all of their smaller Ottawa stores and opened one large east end one, then both could have likely coexisted successfully. It would then be doubtful that GT would open an east end store.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    It is sad to see the demise of the Chuck Brown store(s) as they have represented golf in Ottawa for almost 4 decades. Golftown has been successful in achieving one of its goals of putting the smaller guys out of business.

With the current Golftown consistently exceeding its daily quota, it would seem that there would be room for two “giant” golf stores in Ottawa, particularly because there are plans for an east end Golftown. Had Shannon et al closed all of their smaller Ottawa stores and opened one large east end one, then both could have likely coexisted successfully. It would then be doubtful that GT would open an east end store.
    I don't think 1 big Chucks store could have survived either as they do not have golftowns buying powers...

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Too bad for the staff and owners of Chucks but this cannot be entirely GT's fault. This comes down to the buying experience that many people found to be better at GT then at Chucks.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    I don't think 1 big Chucks store could have survived either as they do not have golftowns buying powers...
    When there is a will there is a way. For example they could have posted all their used stuff on ebay just like GT. And much much more that i prefer to keep to myself.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Check out the thread in the Kington local section about the lad whose clubs have mysteriously vanished from GT. Is this the kind of service we can expect from these guys?

Again, I will say it: Support your local clubmaker.Customer service is what we thrive on.

Golftown has a ton of stores this gives them an ability to buy stock in massive quantities and distribute it to there stores...

On a side note. Anyone know if they will be open sunday? Just got the email about the closing sale starting saturday.. I can't get in until sunday.

Guess where they buy their components. It is not only about prices. It is about Marketing.
    Mahatma Gandhi

1 Iron Bidou is on a distinguished road Bidou's Avatar

Canadian startegy business vs. US Business startegy business

I agree with all of you that it is truly sad that Chuck's is closing it's door forever. It kinda angers me that a golf shop like that cannot survive with a bigbox store in the area. I know that discounts and profit are the ultimate botton line but I guess my question becomes should they be? I've known a few mom and pop shops in the area that were driven out of business because of huge discounts at these type of stores and it's a little sad . I knew that Canada could not dodge the US business model forever but with all the Walmart's, Golftowns, Lowes and Bestbuys' (futureshop) in the area, there's not alot of room for little business' to survive or grow.

I will be there to give them my business this weekend.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Sunday 11-5
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    You know this is truly sad when a small business has to close. Whether it be for personal reasons, or lack of support.
    We had heard rumours at the store I deal at that Chuck's was closing.
    Like I said, it is a shame when a locally owned business shuts down.
    Big Box Stores are nice, however they just do not have the locally owned atmosphere
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Sunday 11-5
    Thanks Dan.. I will be there sunday.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    I'll miss the store because my family has shopped there since its inception. I've only been in there a few times in the last few years but have never bought anything. I guess I'm as much a cause of the problems leading to having made the decision to close as anyone.

Having said that, Golfbum mentioned that big box stores are nice but don't have the locally owned atmosphere. He's right - but I haven't spent all my golf equipment money at big box stores. 80% of my golf dollars have gone to Murray at Nevada Bob's. He has been good to my father and I over the years... an intangible something that Chuck's once had but somehow has recently lost.

I know it's still in the Brown family but it just hadn't been the same for a long time.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Small golf shops can survive in the big box store era, if they evolve their business to target the areas that big box stores cannot address. That being said, I'm not gonna give my biz to Mom and Pop just because they are Mom and Pop. They have to clearly illustrate their value to the consumer - and doing this doesn't mean big marketing budgets...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    The real killer is ebay IMO. How many of you would buy stuff off the rack at Golftown or Chucks for maybe twice as much as you would get your stuff on ebay? I would never pay an OTR Scotty Cameron $380+tax or a set of blades for $1099+tax, would you? Some Golftown stores have already cut in they square feet in Montréal and have significantly less merchandise in their inventory. Golftown in Ottawa used to have a lot of apparels/clothes. Now, each time I go there expecting to have a lot of choice, I'm really disappointed... and no it's not only because I wear XXL shirts!!!!

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmason31 View Post
    80% of my golf dollars have gone to Murray at Nevada Bob's.
    Same here...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    When there is a will there is a way. For example they could have posted all their used stuff on ebay just like GT. And much much more that i prefer to keep to myself.
    I agree wholeheartedly. And I think the model for them would have been Joe Leighs/3balls.com, not Golftown who just ship most of their trade-ins south to GlobalGolf. When the BC and Orleans stores closed down, that last 50% off the lowest ticket sale, they should have piled most of their used OEM stuff into the basement at Somerset and put it on ebay. I saw 9/10 mp-30s go for $150, Eye2s for $140, TA3s for $120, etc., etc.

3 Iron fmanning is on a distinguished road fmanning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsttaylor View Post

Have no fear.....an Ottawa East store is soon to arrive

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Very sad day for Ottawa golf fans.Having been a customer of C.B.for the last ten years and that includes my wife and my son,i could tell the end was soon.The stock had gone down,and the choice and variety of golf equp. suffered a lot.I feel bad for the employees such as Ian,Anne,Bruce and the rest of them.They always treated me very well,wich is more than i can say for the Big stores around town.We will miss you.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Chuck brown

You are right as far as small stores such as Nevada Bob offer personal service and a genuine concern for the customers needs.I was in there a few months ago and was treated very well.Got my swing analysed and my irons bent by a young man who was most helpfull.I will have to switch my business over to them as i buy a lot of used stuff.Working 4 blocks away from C.B i will miss my weekly visits there.

Quote Originally Posted by mmason31 View Post
    I'll miss the store because my family has shopped there since its inception. I've only been in there a few times in the last few years but have never bought anything. I guess I'm as much a cause of the problems leading to having made the decision to close as anyone.

Having said that, Golfbum mentioned that big box stores are nice but don't have the locally owned atmosphere. He's right - but I haven't spent all my golf equipment money at big box stores. 80% of my golf dollars have gone to Murray at Nevada Bob's. He has been good to my father and I over the years... an intangible something that Chuck's once had but somehow has recently lost.

I know it's still in the Brown family but it just hadn't been the same for a long time.
    Last edited by Colby; 03-01-2007 at 11:12 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Thread Information