100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hooking!!!

Sand Wedge molson09 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs down Hooking!!!

Just looking for a little help here. I bought a new driver (Adams GT 363) and it has a stiff graphite shaft. I've played two rounds with it and I have been hooking, some really bad ones too, almost all the time. My irons have not been hooking too much so my feeling is that there might be a problem with the shaft flex and not my swing. Maybe I need a stiffer shaft???....anyone give me some ideas....thanks

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

You need more info

My irons have not been hooking too much so my feeling is that there might be a problem with the shaft flex and not my swing. Maybe I need a stiffer shaft???
    I think a couple of rounds isn't enough time to decide. When you say your irons have not been hooking "too much", does that mean you still hook them but not as much or as badly as your driver? Swing faults often show themselves much worse in the driver than in the shorter clubs.

If you still have your "old" driver, I would bring it on your next round. Alternate between the two for the round, and see what your shot pattern is. Or alternate between your "new" driver and your 3-wood if the old driver is gone.

If you do decide it is the club that is the problem, you may not need a "stiffer" shaft so much as a "different" shaft. No every manufacturer has the same definition of "stiff", and there are other factors involved besides just shaft flex. You might want to see a clubfitting pro, or simply try another club.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    A pro gave me advice one time about deciding whether a club fits you or not. You should be able to swing the club at 50% and still get a decent outcome. If you have to 'fight' the club or struggle to get the clubface square - then something's wrong. You're best to go get fitted or try several types of clubs at the range and get a feel for the shaft stiffness that's best for you.

Thread Information