100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar

Changes to groove rules

Well, the USGA has formally announced it's intent to change the rules for groove. I'm sure the lawyers have started their engines already.

http://www.usga.org/news/2007/february/2007_11.html
    Last edited by Kilroy; 02-27-2007 at 11:57 AM. Reason: moved to proper forum

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I'm confused. I've read that grooves do nothing more than channel water and debris away from the club face. If this is so, then why are they so concerned?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Gap Wedge ipoh is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I'm confused. I've read that grooves do nothing more than channel water and debris away from the club face. If this is so, then why are they so concerned?
    I believe it is the water-debris channelling improvement that allowed most pros to "hack" their way out of the rough with spin and control...and hence allowing them to bomb their tee shots without any fear nor "penalty"...

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I understand, but their is reference in that article to square grooves creating more spin - and I have heard that before
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Gap Wedge ipoh is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I understand, but their is reference in that article to square grooves creating more spin - and I have heard that before
    Square grooves would have more volume to channel water/debris away from the face, allowing more ball-club face contact and hence ability to generate more spin.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    This gives you all the technical info.

http://www.randa.org/rules/uploads/S...-%20%20RA1.pdf

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Some pertinent information:

"The USGA proposes that these new groove rules become effective for all new clubs covered by this rule change that are manufactured after [U]Jan. 1, 2010[/U...

A related Condition of Competition would be added to the USGA Rules of Golf to become effective Jan. 1, 2009. This Condition would allow a Committee to require the use of clubs that conform to the new groove rules for competitive events conducted after Jan. 1, 2009....

The USGA is considering how to treat clubs that currently conform to the Rules of Golf, but would not conform to the proposed new rules. This consideration would be made for the vast majority of golfers who would not likely be affected by the proposed Condition of Competition, as well as for golf clubs already in use and/or manufactured prior to the proposed rule implementation date. The USGA proposes to allow their use for a lengthy period of time (at least 10 years).

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    So what does this mean for the golfer that wants to play in his home club championship and possibly Ottawa Citizen Amateur Championship after Jan 1st 2009?

Would I have to change my clubs if there are not conforming or can I wait the 10 years, i.e. until 2019?

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LongBallHitter View Post
    So what does this mean for the golfer that wants to play in his home club championship and possibly Ottawa Citizen Amateur Championship after Jan 1st 2009?

Would I have to change my clubs if there are not conforming or can I wait the 10 years, i.e. until 2019?
    Only if the Tournament Committee introduce the proposed Condition of Competition. Market forces will dictate if they do that.

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    Only if the Tournament Committee introduce the proposed Condition of Competition. Market forces will dictate if they do that.
    One of those market forces might be if the Pro Shop at the course has gotten a shipment of conforming wedges in or not.

Thread Information