100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Eklund is telling me that we just picked up Torres.

That aside (as its still just a rumour), the scary thing is that everybody around us in the standings is making big moves to improve their team. I do NOT want to play the Pens at this point with Roberts and Laraque to back up their young guns. They are a scary team right now. And the Sabres appear to have picked up Nolan...say what you will, he's still dangerous.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    Ooo.. Ottawa gets Oleg Saprykin.. Yippee
    Start planning the Parade

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Saprykin maybe apart of somthing else.....def not the type of player Ottawa was looking for....maybe Ryan Smith????
    would be nice!

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Ryan Smyth would be awsome.. but that ain't gonna happen.. How about me move Corvo and grab Jason Smith..?
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Eklund is telling me that we just picked up Torres.
    Nothing on that one yet........

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    1:57 - Bob McKenzie says that before Gary Roberts waived his no-trade clause and agreed to join the Penguins, the Leafs and Senators could have acquired Roberts for a single first round pick, and neither of them went for it.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    1:57 - Bob McKenzie says that before Gary Roberts waived his no-trade clause and agreed to join the Penguins, the Leafs and Senators could have acquired Roberts for a single first round pick, and neither of them went for it.
    I would have loved to have Roberts.. But I think a first rounf pick is a bit much..

a first round draft pick is not too much to pay for a hall of famer, especially in a really weak draft year, especially when you have droves of young talent, especially when you know he's going to a team you will likely face in the first round of the playoffs, especially when your team desperately needs that exact type of player.

Whoa now - Gary Roberts a Hall of Famer?!? How many wobbley pops have you had this after Jonf??

I just figured it out. Gerber to Pittsburgh for Roberts

Gary Roberts would have been a good addition, but I think a first roung pick is a lot for a "renta player." Now if we could have snagged Bill Guerin thats diff. Ottawa does have a lot of young talent and they draft very well. Considering what Florida did get for Roberts it seems evident that everyone thought a first rounder was to high a price to pay.

Gary Roberts only ever had one good playoff series....and that was against Ottawa...the reason Toronto ever one that series was BELFOUR....Roberts was way over rated this year at the deadline!
    Pittsburgh needs Defencemen! have all this up front tallent but terrible on defence...and Flurry...well look what he does under pressure.

I'm going to have to violently disagree with you here. This is why this team will never be great. For a team like toronto, who is growing old, a draft pick is a high price. But I cannot, for the life of me, understand why he wouldn't pull the trigger on this deal. He's always saying that he doesn't want to trade roster players. Well, here was the perfect chance to get the player you've been dying to get, and not give up anyone like eaves or vermette. I've said it once and I'll say it again. The future is now. Ottawa can go on having a promising future for years to come, but they will never win, because they will never pay the price that is necessary to get players who have actually WON before. I simply can't believe he wouldn't give up a first rounder in this draft year. You would not feel that for 5 years, at least, and there is no shortage of young talent. This makes me so mad you would not believe it. I'm about to throw my laptop out the window. I'm glad my scotty is in the attic, cuz I'm really tempted to go to town right now.

well there is still 17min...you never know what could happen...

Mucks is gonna pull a blockbuster with his old buddies in Edmonton............Ryan Smith to us for a couple of beer and a pizza for a play-off push........he'll resign in Edmonton next year................I freaking wish

You would not feel that for 5 years, at least, and there is no shortage of young talent. .
    Actually, Ottawa is hurting for young talent. There is next to nothing in Binghampton.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    I'm going to have to violently disagree with you here. This is why this team will never be great. For a team like toronto, who is growing old, a draft pick is a high price. But I cannot, for the life of me, understand why he wouldn't pull the trigger on this deal. He's always saying that he doesn't want to trade roster players. Well, here was the perfect chance to get the player you've been dying to get, and not give up anyone like eaves or vermette. I've said it once and I'll say it again. The future is now. Ottawa can go on having a promising future for years to come, but they will never win, because they will never pay the price that is necessary to get players who have actually WON before. I simply can't believe he wouldn't give up a first rounder in this draft year. You would not feel that for 5 years, at least, and there is no shortage of young talent. This makes me so mad you would not believe it. I'm about to throw my laptop out the window. I'm glad my scotty is in the attic, cuz I'm really tempted to go to town right now.
    I think a lot of fans underestimate the fact that to deal with Florida, you're dealing with Jacques Martin. Remember that Ottawa ran him out of town? I'm sure that he wouldn't mind sticking it to us...Also, consider that perhaps Pittsburgh DIDN'T have nice young players (like Eaves and Vermette) to give up, so Florida doesn't ask for them. The Panthers see that Ottawa has a few good young players that they could possibly get for Roberts, so they want them from Ottawa and not a draft pick.
    Too many intricacies for us to understand completely unless you're directly involved in the process, in my opinion...

Bertuzzi to the Wings for a conditional pick and a prospect. That what Florida gets for Luongo. Brutal.

so they ask for a crappy one though? They wouldn't just give Roberts away out of bitterness. They got virtually nothing in return for him

Bertuzzi to the Wings for a conditional pick and a prospect. That what Florida gets for Luongo. Brutal.
    I guess I can look on the bright side that Mucks hasn't done anything quite that bad

Actually, Ottawa is hurting for young talent. There is next to nothing in Binghampton.
    True. I was just referring to the fact that they still have the fourth youngest team in the league. It's amazing...they've been one of the youngest teams in the league for about 10 years. There must be a fountain of youth or something in that Scotiabank Place

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    so they ask for a crappy one though? They wouldn't just give Roberts away out of bitterness. They got virtually nothing in return for him
    OK, I replied to your post under the assumption that Florida got a first rounder from Pittsburgh, but I was wrong. They get D Noah Welch, a 2001 first-rounder and apparently a decent D-man. Let me play devil's advocate here...

Florida starts the negotiating process with an idea of what they want. We'll assume they want a D-man, because that's what they got from Pittsburgh. Do we give them...Redden? Obviously not. Phillips? No. Mezaros? No. Volchenkov? No. Preissing? 20 games into the year, probably. Now, no. He's playing pretty well. Corvo? Maybe, but does Florida want his 2.5 million per year? No.

So now we're on to forwards. Who do you want to give up? I can think of an argument for every forward.

I like our team. I am biased, because I believe in them year in and year out. I'm not blind, I know we have deficiencies, but so does every other team. If we picked up Roberts and went out in Round 1, what then? Muckler's fault that he banked on a 40-year old?

The Sens are playing awfully good hockey over the last 2 and a half months to think that they won't contend.

I see what you're saying, and yea, every team has their deficieneis. What kills me is that Ottawa has had the same deficiency for at least 5 years, and has still not done anything about it. You can't plug every hole, but this has been a gaping one for a while, and it hasn't gone anywhere.

If we picked up a guy like Roberts and got knocked out, at least I would know we gave it a shot. I know, sounds corny, but its the truth. Now, I should qualify that. If we traded eaves for roberts and got knocked out in the first round, I might be upset. But to me, giving up a draft pick is a gamble worth taking (but as you and others have said, we can't be sure that would have done the deal)

We gave up a 2nd round pick for Saprykin - we should have paid the 1st round pick price for Roberts if that is really all it would have taken to get him.......there are no real 'Can't miss' prospects this year so what the heck......

Mucks get a D+ on his performance from me this year.......another skilled Euro???? Come on

and by skilled you mean...pretty unskilled

Ryan Smyth to the Islanders?!?!?

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    Ryan Smyth to the Islanders?!?!?
    For a couple of non-roster players who look like good prospects and a 07 first round pick... how the heck did Garth Snow / Milbury pull that off?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Bad day for oilers fans
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Holy Christ. Am I the only one who thought the Islanders had lost their minds AGAIN, at the start of the season? If there was a GM of the year, it would be Garth Snow. I would would be put in some sort of rehab if I or anyone had stated that at the beginning of the season. If they make the playoffs, Nolan will get another Jack Adams to put on the wall too.

Maybe they should have pulled Ziggy Palffy back out of retirement too..
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    he's a rental.. i wont be suprised if he re-signs with the oilers in the offseason
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Thread Information