100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar

Canadian winter sports

I voted with my feet, and left the U.S. for my wife's native country in July of 2001. I love it here, hope to attain Canadian citizenship this year.

As a refugee from the deep South, I am totally bored by Canadian winter sports. I can tolerate CFL football...but as for ice soccer, er, hockey...and ugh...curling...forget it. Not to mention skating, skiing, bobsledding.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Sport http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport
    An activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Used by itself, sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.
    So by that definition, Golf, curling and Nascar would be sports, and auto mechanics would not. Seems right to me.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Ya, by that definition, but that's the whole question, isn't it? To me, something like pool, or darts, or car racing, or curling, where physical skill is required, but there is no requirement for athleticism, don't really count as sports. But others clearly disagree. It's a pretty subjective question.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Golf to the non golfer is very boring to watch. It is a different story for us freaks.Jonf I don't see why you would not call Golf a sport. It is not a violent sport but is a physical activity. I don't get out much in the winter. When the ranges open I usually hit one pail too many. The next day my elbows are sore. If I play back to back rounds my neck will also be sore. When I come home after the first round of the year a good nap with my mouth wide open is in order If you are not fit and play competitive golf it will hurt you in the last rounds of a 4 day tournament. End of rant.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    WORK BORES ME. TERRIBLY BORING NOW

It's funny, before I had my heart attack I actually did not mind going to work. You have to realize I have been inside an auto factory since May 1979. Not exactly the most exciting or mind challenging job you can have. Pay is great, benefits are great. That is how they keep us there!

However when I went back to work last August after recovering from my bypass I just no longer enjoyed going into the plant. I can not nail down the exact reason, I just didn't enjoy it. I enjoy the people I work with, I just do not enjoy the BS Company Politics anymore.

Thank God I was offered the Buy Out which will allow me to retire from Ford soon. I am going to work at a private golf course, in the Back Room. Basically that will involve getting the members clubs out when they come to play. Loading the clubs onto carts if they are riding. Cleaning clubs, washing the carts, handing out range balls etc. Pretty basic stuff for a man of my caliber Pay will not be Bill Gates level, but I don't care. It will be spending money and I get too play two rounds of golf a week at the course. I love that golf course, it is a challenge and I think it will make me a better golfer.

So hopefully it is not boring. Nice thing about this job is I will now meet some people. Make new friends. Don't get me wrong, I have many good friends from the years I worked at Ford. I will keep in touch with them after I leave (Most of my good friends at Ford are leaving with the buy out anyways, so that is good)

Life should not be boring! Take it from me, you only have one shot at glory so you damn well better go for it! If things bore you just avoid them.

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Ya, by that definition, but that's the whole question, isn't it? To me, something like pool, or darts, or car racing, or curling, where physical skill is required, but there is no requirement for athleticism, don't really count as sports. But others clearly disagree. It's a pretty subjective question.
    OK, I have to jump in now........I won 3 provincial junior curling championships and I have to challenge anyone who thinks that curling doesn't require athleticism. Go and curl a 10 end game and then come and talk to me......sweeping a take-out down the ice requires great balance and good cardiovascular fitness - you would be surprized at the work-out that you get curling.

I also don't know how something can be an olympic event but not be considered a sport?

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Easy boy!! LOL I tried curling, it's freakin' hard!!! I thought it would be relatively easy, considering my athletic genes (yes, I'm humble), but man, it's a tough game.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

I knew i was going to get jumped on for this, but, I asked for it.

First of all Hacker...congrats on the junior championships. I will back off on my curling comment for now, as I have never curled a game.

The olympics is not a good gauge in my books...archery? skeet shooting? sitting on a horse while it rides around a ring?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    jonf, you seem to have a pretty narrow definition of sport. How would you define it?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Well, to me there is a difference sport and competition. Just because something is a competition doesn't make it a sport. To quote an expert in the field

If it is a race type sport, then the human has to generate the speed (keep in mind, skiiers have to push off for a start, as do bobsledders etc etc etc). Second...man-titties not allowed. Finally, there also needs to be a combination of multiple talents - ie hand eye coordination, strength, aerobic fitness.

Agent99
    "Now, devotees may argue that one sport or game is inherently better than another. For me, sport is actually a chance for us to have other human beings push us to excel." ~ Robin Williams as “Prof. Keating” in The Dead Poets Society

Quote Originally Posted by rhh7 View Post
    I voted with my feet, and left the U.S. for my wife's native country in July of 2001. I love it here, hope to attain Canadian citizenship this year.

As a refugee from the deep South, I am totally bored by Canadian winter sports. I can tolerate CFL football...but as for ice soccer, er, hockey...and ugh...curling...forget it. Not to mention skating, skiing, bobsledding.
    Well this from north of the border Robert. IMO baseball is very boring to watch but that is just me. I used to watch the expos and attended a whole bunch of games. i would sometime sit there from up above and watch 6 innings with nothing happening i.e strike,strike, pop up Thank God hot dogs and beer was at the rendez-vous
    Mahatma Gandhi

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    If all it requires is hand eye coordination, then auto mechanics, computer technicians etc etc etc are all athletes. But, here are a few criteria. If it is a race type sport, then the human has to generate the speed (keep in mind, skiiers have to push off for a start, as do bobsledders etc etc etc). Second...man-titties not allowed. Finally, there also needs to be a combination of multiple talents - ie hand eye coordination, strength, aerobic fitness.

You guys wouldnt believe the strentgh training nascar drivers do!!
    Holding a car on a track at 200mph is not as easy as you may think.
    I have done it at 80kph for 8 laps on a 1/3mile oval and let me tell you,when i was done i couldnt even feel my arms,and i was drenched in sweat!
    I'm sorry,but those guys are athletes.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Quote Originally Posted by covanant View Post
    You guys wouldnt belive the strentgh training nascar drivers do!!
    Holding a car on a track at 200mph is not as easy as you may think.
    I have done it at 80kph for 8 laps on a 1/3mile oval and let me tell you,when i was done i couldnt even feel my arms,and i was drenched in sweat!
    I'm sorry,but those guys are athletes.
    I was thinking the same thing as I watched a few laps from the race this afternoon.
    If someone doesn't think you have to be in great shape to sit behind the wheel, try sitting inside a cockpit that is likely close to 100F or there abouts for hours. I have never seen a fat Nascar driver yet!

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    sitting here thinkin how hard its gonna be to play golf tomorrow... im burnt to a friggin crips! guess 4 hours on the beach is a bad thing... who knew
    Hope your not lookin for any sympathy Jarred, cus I'm pretty sure you're not going to find any on here!!

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Well a couple of years ago I would have said that watching golf on tv had to be one of the most boring things anyone could watch...........but now that I am hooked on golf I find myself watching it all the time. and the funny thing when non golfers watch us watching it they just can't understand how worked up we get over a missed putt!!!!
    As far as watching car racing.....well it may not be the most exciting thing to watch, but any sport with nice fast cars gets my vote!!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I'm just bored. I've worked most of my winter, haven't sim golfed much. Haven't played hockey much. Wish something exciting would happen.

And as for Nascar drivers, I'd be willing to bet their heart rates aren't that high. They've been doing it for years. Just their job to them. Now throw in a crash, I'm sure the rate goes up.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

[quote=Geoff Johnston;161764]I'm just bored. I've worked most of my winter, haven't sim golfed much. Haven't played hockey much. Wish something exciting would happen.
    quote]

You are not even married yet and you are bored? WOW are you going to get a wake up call if you slide the ring on the finger Have babies, your life will get exciting

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    [quote=Golfbum;161770]
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I'm just bored. I've worked most of my winter, haven't sim golfed much. Haven't played hockey much. Wish something exciting would happen.
    quote]

You are not even married yet and you are bored? WOW are you going to get a wake up call if you slide the ring on the finger Have babies, your life will get exciting

Maybe a little too drastic for me right now. I'm not that bored....yet.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Bow Chicka Bow Wow...

I thought up this sick drum beat yesterday.

K Here goes...

BAM-Thwicka-DOOOSCH- Thwicka-CRACKA-BING BANG
    Just repeat that in 14/9 time and you're good.

See these/guys are athletes:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pNOyDe4ugrw
    Mahatma Gandhi

And as for Nascar drivers, I'd be willing to bet their heart rates aren't that high. They've been doing it for years. Just their job to them. Now throw in a crash, I'm sure the rate goes up.
    Don't know why you'd think that. An actor or a singer still gets butterflies even after 20 years of show bizz. A golfer still gets 1st tee jitters at the start of every round. Now if I were a Toreador and risking my life every time out I think my heart would still be pounding every time out
    Mahatma Gandhi

pop quiz.

the song Layla by Eric Clapton was writting about who?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    pop quiz.

the song Layla by Eric Clapton was writting about who?
    Oprah.

u serious D?

George harrison's wife.....clapton fell in love while recording while my guitar gently weeps with George

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'm sitting here surfing while the wife watches figure skating. How's that for bored.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    u serious D?
    not Oprah??? then what Jon said. Didn't last though.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    jonf got it
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    [quote=Golfbum;161770]
    quote]

........do you mean exciting as in 'living nightmare'???

Thread Information