CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

provisional ball

ok - i hit a ball and it goes somewhere close to either an O.B. area or close to a red staked area...............i then declare i am going to hit a provisional ball because i really dont know. I then get up to hit the second ball (prov. ball) and continue walking up the fairway.... then i see another ball further in the fairway and it is my original ball........do i get to play that ball and pick up my provisional ball even if i have played it more than once. Someone said that because i had not reached the first ball, this is allowed....i dont think so but ................... you tell me!

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    You are allowed (and encouraged) to play a provisional ball anytime your ball MAY be lost OUTSIDE a water hazard or out of bounds. This right applies no matter where the original ball is eventually found. You must play the provisional ball BEFORE you go forward to search for the original ball. The whole point of the exercise is to save time.

You may continue playing the provisional ball until:

1. You have reached the place where the original ball is likely to be, or
    2. You have found the original ball.

Many players incorrectly assume that only one stroke may be played with a provisional ball.

In your description of the situation, you stated that the ball seen further up the fairway IS your ball.

You did not specify how you identified the ball "further up the fairway" as being yours, but the moment that determination was made, the original ball was the ball in play and further play with the provisional ball was prohibited.

By the way, you may not play a provisional ball solely because the original ball may be lost in a water hazard, whether red staked or yellow staked, as your description seemed to imply.

Thread Information