CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rust removal

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

rust removal

I know this thread has been done before, but I looked and was having trouble finding it. I just picked up two cleveland RTG wedges. They are WELL rusted...a little too much for my liking, and i would like to remove the rust and start from scratch...i want it to be MY rust. Will putting them in coke overnight do the trick?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    You could also use a household steel wool aka soap pad. But you probably don't have any since you students hardly ever do dishes
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    i want it to be MY rust.
    why is your rust to special???

Lob Wedge phil_amell is on a distinguished road phil_amell's Avatar
    im in the same situation with my 54, 58 how do you clean the rust

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    How about CLR??

steel wool.... or a dremel and a slightly abrasive bit

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Rust Removal:
    The surface must be cleaned of all loose and flaking rust and paint.
    Sandblasting:
    Sandblasting is the easiest, quickest way to remove old paint and rust from metal. Compressed air at high pressure is used to blow fine sand or other abrasive material through a hardened spray nozzle and quickly "blasts" away whatever the blast material hits. Sandblasting is ideal for deeply carved wood, metal or brick surfaces, ornamental iron work and hard to reach areas. Small handheld units are available for small jobs like tools, wrought iron handrails, outdoor furniture etc., a compressor is required which you can rent from a local tool rental supply company.
    Wire Brushing, Sanding:
    Use a hand brush or a wire wheel brush and drill. Normally a few quick passes will remove the loose material. If the surface is to be finished in a smooth painted finish then the wire brushing should be followed up with a complete sanding until it is smooth and free of defects. Normally a rough sanding with 80 grit sandpaper followed by a smooth sanding with 120 grit does an adequate job. Holes, cracks etc should be filled first with an auto body filler material if you are going for a top quality finish. Wrought iron handrails, lawn and garden equipment etc normally do not require a really fine finish whereas a bicycle, patio table, metal door and the like would.
    Chemical Removal:
    Acid or strong alkaline materials which dissolve rust. These products work well but must be used with extreme caution due to the chemical nature of the products, they are ideal for large areas like metal roofs and buildings.

There is no doubt that metal has a number of important advantages over many other kinds of building materials, including easy maintenance and great durability. Metal, however, does have one important drawback, and that is the fact that it tends to rust if left outside in the weather. Removing rust does not have to be difficult, if you follow these easy steps:

1. Be sure to protect your hands during the process. Always wear rubber gloves to protect yourself against the chemicals you will be using.

2. Treat the affected area using a rust removing agent that contains oxalic acid. When using the rust removing agent, be sure to follow the instructions on the package carefully, and take any safety precautions recommended. 3. Severe rust stains and rusted areas can be treated using a pumice scouring pad which has been soaked in a oxalic acid-containing rust removal agent. Be sure to wear rubber gloves when applying the rust removal agent to the metal.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

you da man GB

Thread Information