CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reboot

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar

Reboot

I have noticed that, every once in a while, I feel like my golf hard disk has been reformatted. What I mean is that I start hitting the ball like I have never swung a club before. I make good progress during a few practice sessions then go through a session where all goes bad. The next day, all is ok. Suspect it's that ugly hit reflex coming back to haunt me.

Does anyone else experience this? If so, what do you do?

Eagle dhacker1956 is on a distinguished road
    I know what you mean. I have trouble putting two good rounds together in a row. I suspect that it is my head. I am expecting to have a good one or a bad one based on the last one. What they call a self fulfilling prophecy. Or it could be because I am no spring chicken amymore. What do I do? I just keep plugging away and if I have an important round on a given day I'll go out the day before and stink the place up!!! HAHA

Pitching Wedge Golftime is on a distinguished road
    Start with the obvious things. Make sure that your setup is correct. In this case correct means consistent. Since you have absolute control over how you prepare for the shot make sure that it is the same every time. Lets say that you were working on hitting a draw and ended up with a strong grip and slightly closed stance. Then you go to the first tee and setup with a neutral grip and square stance but swing like you did on the range. The ball will start to the right and maybe even slice.
    Do you use an image or simple swing thought to help you swing the way that you want to? If not then old habits will creep in and whatever you have worked on will be 'forgotten'. There is no simple answer. You must work at it. I'm not sure about the exact number but the experts say that you have to perform a physical motion 60 or 70 times before muscle memory takes effect. You have to perform enough repetitions on the range so that you can trust the swing and just play.
    To continue the consistency theme. Broaden your thinking to include all of the preparation that you do for a game. Do you always arrive on time to do a proper warm up? Do you always do the same warmup? It doesn't have to be very extensive but it should be effective. Do a Goolge search for warmup routines. Pick the stuff that you like and build your own routine.
    Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I don't go through a "reboot" per se, but I always go through the cycle of the same old mistakes, typically not maintaining a good setup and posture, and overswinging (with some "hit" tendencies creeping back in). Fortunately I have been taking lessons for a while so it always comes back to the same fundamentals to get back in line. Usually a check up lesson or even some of my own video self help gets me back on track. Unfortunately I am an idiot and last year I neglected to do either and really screwed things up (a back issue did not help either). This year I am dedicated to taking a lesson at least once a month.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Thread Information