100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron Bidou is on a distinguished road Bidou's Avatar

Ebay Shipping cost?

Hello.

I am a new customer of EBAY. I have made some purchases and have gotten pretty good deals but on the items that I really wanted, the shipping was killer. Is this a buyer beware kinda thing or is it regulated by EBAY or PAYPAL? It's nucki'in futZ! Are these prices negotioable? Has anyone ever e-mailed the seller saying "This is way to much $$ for shipping and you're ripping me off!" I sold a dvd and shipping was 5.75 CAN, so I charged the guy $25.75, he won with a $20.00 bid. Is this a good thing or was I suppose to charge a certain fee for geeting my butt up and going over to Canada Post and taking the time to do it? Any thoughts?

e.g.

I bid on a SC pivot tool without looking at the shipping, I know my fault but I won it which was cool but the shipping was 3x the price. So in short, I got me a pretty nifty pivot tool for 30 US.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Shipping fees are not controlled and can be the biggest money maker on Ebay...

Power sellers can easily make 20 - 30 bucks per item time$ thou$and$ of item$ it adds up fast. They count on you not paying enough attention.

If the fees are too high, don't bid.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Totally agree with Dan. Do your own research, to see if the seller is making money on the shipping costs. I don't buy from anyone, ever, that tries to rip off people with the shipping.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I for one don't ask much for shipping. My theory is that it will attrack buyers not repulse them.I do start with a reasonable minimum bid though because I don't want to get screwed on the selling price. I would say it is the same as a reserve price.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I have never really understood the reserve bid. If you want a minimum price why not start the bidding there? Reserve bids aggravate me as a buyer when you don't even know what it is. What's the point?

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Alot of sellers will mark shipping at some stupid crazy amount to deter Canadian bidders,that pisses me off big time!!
    I came across something i wanted last night(a putter)and the idiot was asking 75.00us for shipping to Canada
    Geez..if you dont want to sell up here than say it in the item description
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    I have never really understood the reserve bid. If you want a minimum price why not start the bidding there? Reserve bids aggravate me as a buyer when you don't even know what it is. What's the point?
    Wonder what is cheaper to post? A reserve or a higher starting price? Some guy will tell you what their reserve is. Some other guys start the bid at 0.99 hoping that it will get the bidding going. I guess if you don't sell your item because your reserve was not met you can send a 2nd chance offer. That being said a reserve can be frustrating. I once bid on an item where the resrve was $800. No thank you Sir.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Another common scam is to start a bid at a dollar or no reserve,but the shipping cost is way to much.

Quote Originally Posted by covanant View Post
    Alot of sellers will mark shipping at some stupid crazy amount to deter Canadian bidders,that pisses me off big time!!
    I came across something i wanted last night(a putter)and the idiot was asking 75.00us for shipping to Canada
    Geez..if you dont want to sell up here than say it in the item description
    Did that putter have the Habs logo on it I know. I can forget about that hybrid you're supposed to paint for me How about a CH on it? If you do and if you can post a pic you can keep it
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Did that putter have the Habs logo on it I know. I can forget about that hybrid you're supposed to paint for me How about a CH on it? If you do and if you can post a pic you can keep it
    I have plans for you Andre.....detailed plans

Quote Originally Posted by covanant View Post
    I have plans for you Andre.....detailed plans
    So does the Lord Praise the Lord Alleluiah
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    eBay actually does ahve a shipping policy. You have to justify shipping costs if a complaint is brought up ... Don't ask me for a link, can't remember where it was listed, but I did read a thread on another forum that mentioend this new policy.

Also, don't be fooled by eBay on this one ... it's not out of the goodness of their hearts, it's because high shipping price, low sale price = Lower final value fees and lower listing prices ... a lot of people were listing 500$ items @ 1$ BIN w/ 500$ shipping and only paying a few pennies in FVF's.

That being said, good luck trying t orecoup a 3-4$ over charge. But if someone does charge you 20$ and it arrives w/ a 2.50$ shiping sticker and they did NOT specify a handling fee i believe you have a claim for the 17.50$.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Here is the link to the ebay shipping overcharge policy http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/l...-shipping.html

Well that is a relief. I shoulda reported one guy, but instead I risked neg feedback by bailing on a deal when he wanted to apply "self isurance", which sounded like a scam to me. Now I know why he left no feedback!

1 Iron Bidou is on a distinguished road Bidou's Avatar

Too bad......

It's really too bad that ebay does not list a reasonable/max % of profit to be made on the shipping. Leaving the system as will just promote arguements and tons of negative feedback for both parties involved.

Does anyone have their own system when bidding? Like checking with shippers for actual costs and then doing the math, say 5% markup = for bidding on that item and anything over doesn't get a second thought!?

I know what alot of people will say "if you don't like it, don't bid!!! Personally I think that rationale is BS and possesses the same attitude of a con artist.

I ALWAYS check if shipping is reasonable. I consider $5 - $7 more for packing materials and a trip to the post office reasonable. I usually charge that myself. Beyond that I won't bid unless the item is hard to get any other way, and even then I think twice.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I always laugh at the "$17.95 US Shipping to Canada USPS" for a golf shirt! OKAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, you mean to tell me the actual cost to ship a golf shirt, inside a padded envelope is $17.95? Sure Sure it is.

I dealt with a lady seller in CA. She had her shipping cost listed at $5.95 US within USA. I wanted a shirt she was selling, contacted her regarding the shipping to Canada. Her reply was $5.95 US, same as I charge for US shipping. She got my business, twice. She sends the shirts in padded envelopes and the actual postage was $3.95, so she pays for the envelope and her time with the other $2. I don't have a problem with that.

Another price that is stupid, Shipping on a headcover to Canada. Anything over $10 is a rip off. I had a YES Putter cover sent to me from the states. $2.35 US was the marked postage.

I always contact a seller regarding shipping, even if they are in Canada. Buyer Beware.

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I had a YES Putter cover sent to me from the states. $2.35 US was the marked postage.

The US guys get such a great deal shipping small packages through USPS ... every headcover i've ever gotten was about 2-3$ in shipping, and sent in a used box.
    I have NEVER seen one w/ 2-3$ advertised as the shipping costs.

My biggest pet peeve is that it actually does cost me 6-7$ to ship a headcover the other way ... 'course that's a complaint for a differnt thread (damn you Canada post!)
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

So do you fellas feel that $5 is too much for "handling" Ie packing and a trip to the Post office? I would never ship via courier (pickup) unless requested by the buyer. I always figured ship sooner and make a special trip for it. If it was no charge handling, I'd let it sit until next trip we had to make to the PO.

Or is this just me?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    just bought a pair of Nike SP-5 golf shoes off ebay. Cost was $45 USD + $20 USD for shipping va USPS. I got the box and the shipping was $16.35 USD so I think that was pretty fair. Note it's strange that whenever I get something shipped to my office in Gatineau, I NEVER have to pay the $5 brokerage fee or any taxes. This has happened numerous times and I cannot explain why. When I have had things shipped to my house on the Ottawa side, I always have to pay the additional taxes and $5 brokerage fee to Canada Post. Anyone else in Quebec experience this?

I checked this box and it was not marked "Gift" or anything.

BTW if shipping is too high, I just don't bid. And Dan, no $5 is not too much to ask. In fact, I always go on to one of the shipping sites (FedEx, Canada Post, etc.) and put in the approximate dimensions and weight and then add a few $ so there are no surprises on my side when I go and ship it.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I always go on to one of the shipping sites (FedEx, Canada Post, etc.) and put in the approximate dimensions and weight and then add a few $ so there are no surprises on my side when I go and ship it.
    That's exactly what I do.

Thread Information